X
X

Honest question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're an adult and imo it's your decision. Do I agree with it? NO but that's my personal feeling. I do ride in jeans and all other gear. No matter how hot it is I will always wear full protection cause I know what road rash felt like and if I can avoid that I will. About a month ago a guy in his late 40's or early 50's pulled up next to me on a honda shadow wearing nothing but shorts and sandals. Every a-hole on a cruiser wears sandals and no gear in south florida. Probably why they usually die in accidents.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
    Tapout t shirts are not appropriate riding gear.

WHAT!!!!!!

Comment

If it's a long ride and I'm going to be tearing it up, I put on my joe rocket jacket.

On hot ass days like this weekend where I'm just going for a 35mph ride around the lake, I'll go in a t-shirt. I know it's not smart, but my jacket is so itchy and un-comfortable as it is, but adding humid 90+ degree heat to it is unbearable.

I really need to just invest in a better jacket that I enjoy wearing, I never really feel safe or enjoy my self fully unless I have gear on.

On that note... anyone have any suggestions for a jacket that is comfy to wear? I know it's going to be warm no matter what when it's hot out, but my Joe Rocket jacket scratches at me on Velcro slips for the protective pucks. So unless I wear a long sleeve shirt under it (adding more to the heat), then the velcro pieces are scratching the hell out of me.
      Last edited by rottenpixies; 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM.
      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

If any Velcro is scratching you on the inside - its not placed right!

Take the armour out, turn jacket inside out, and make sure all the Velcro stubs are clear of fuzz that could stop them locking properly.

Get some sewing reinforcer - it's fabric that you can glue on to other fabric with an iron on low heat. Cut thin strips of this and iron over the "rough" edges of the Velcro bases - it's really soft and will take some of the bite out.

With that, and the Velcro being positioned properly - I bet it'll be much more comfortable!

Comment

"I know people see me in shorts and a t-shirt and call me a "squid" but I ride responsible and I am a grown adult that knows first hand of the risks involved."

It's great that you ride reponsible and know the risks. Knowing these things will do absolutely nothing to protect you in an accident. Riding responsibly will not affect the guy in the car making a blind U-Turn or blowing through a Stop sign. In those moments, the only thing you have going for you is your gear and the Grace of God. We will all die somehow, and that is inevitable, but what scares me is the thought of winding up in a wheelchair or bedridden for the rest of my like and every day having to ask myself "Did I really do enough to try to avoid this? Am I here because of having no gear? Could this have been a walk away instead of a never walk again?"

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
            If it's a long ride and I'm going to be tearing it up, I put on my joe rocket jacket.

On hot ass days like this weekend where I'm just going for a 35mph ride around the lake, I'll go in a t-shirt. I know it's not smart, but my jacket is so itchy and un-comfortable as it is, but adding humid 90+ degree heat to it is unbearable.

I really need to just invest in a better jacket that I enjoy wearing, I never really feel safe or enjoy my self fully unless I have gear on.

On that note... anyone have any suggestions for a jacket that is comfy to wear? I know it's going to be warm no matter what when it's hot out, but my Joe Rocket jacket scratches at me on Velcro slips for the protective pucks. So unless I wear a long sleeve shirt under it (adding more to the heat), then the velcro pieces are scratching the hell out of me.
            Long sleeve Underarmour Heatgear - http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...cid1217457-001

Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
              If any Velcro is scratching you on the inside - its not placed right!

Take the armour out, turn jacket inside out, and make sure all the Velcro stubs are clear of fuzz that could stop them locking properly.

Get some sewing reinforcer - it's fabric that you can glue on to other fabric with an iron on low heat. Cut thin strips of this and iron over the "rough" edges of the Velcro bases - it's really soft and will take some of the bite out.

With that, and the Velcro being positioned properly - I bet it'll be much more comfortable!
              Thanks for that tip! That may save me from buying a new jacket.:bunny2
              - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

+1......... been down too many times, and all it took was the first time. There's a few older riders on this forum that didn't get as far as we did in our riding careers by ignoring the fact that we're not as tough as pavement.

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                Honest answer... Quit riding dude.... You may be an adult and yes you can make your own decisions,,,,but being an adult doesn't mean you always make the right decision...Does it?!?! 98% of the time I am in full gear(leathers) if I am going to the mall or the corner store admittedly I will swap the leather pants for jeans.... Does it make my choice the right one,,,,no it doesn't.... Someone here put up a post of Brittany Morrow "Rock the Gear" check it out...

For not gearing up I wouldn't call you a "squid" I would and will call you a dumbass(that is the polite version)...If you have a family make the adult choice and gear up when you ride... You say you feel you lose freedom by gearing up....REALLY!!!! By not gearing up you could lose a hell of a lot more than your freedom... Not to say gear will protect you from every injury...But the protection is a thousand times better than wearing none...

I give rides to my kid, fiancé and fiancés kids.... It cost me a fortune but I bought full gear for myself, my kid and my fiancé. I lucked out that my fiancés kids wear the same size as she does(if they didn't I would have spent the money to gear them up as well)....So not only do I gear up I make sure everyone I love and care about is geared up...

I could go on but I will end it here... If I offended you in anyway I apologize, it is just my opinion... On second thought no I do not apologize for it...I feel very strongly about gearing up...... So don't be an asshat and gear up..
                +1......... been down too many times, and all it took was the first time. There's a few older riders on this forum that didn't get as far as we did in our riding careers by ignoring the fact that we're not as tough as pavement.
                Last edited by Slofuze; 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I cant remember the last time I rode without a jacket. I always have laced shoes that cover the ankles when not using my riding boots. Jeans if not wearing my gortex riding pants... Helmet and gloves always on, and of course I wear my vented jacket and gortex pants when not wearing my full leathers.

I have not gone down, but have seen countless friends do right in front of me. If not for their gear, they would probably not be here today...

Even if one person reads this thread and decides to gear up, it is worth repeating every time.
                  "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
                    I cant remember the last time I rode without a jacket. I always have laced shoes that cover the ankles when not using my riding boots. Jeans if not wearing my gortex riding pants... Helmet and gloves always on, and of course I wear my vented jacket and gortex pants when not wearing my full leathers.

I have not gone down, but have seen countless friends do right in front of me. If not for their gear, they would probably not be here today...

Even if one person reads this thread and decides to gear up, it is worth repeating every time.
                    +1 :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
                    2002 750 Kat
                    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Riding gear is for sissies, and girls!!!!

Kidding, of course. To the OP: listen, hero. You're not made of metal. You WILL get fucked up, if not dead. You WILL be a burden to those that love/like you, either way. Stop being selfish, and immature. We all understand that riding a motorcycle is, in a way rebellious of society. But for Gods sake, stop rebelling to the point that you have to prove how reckless and hardcore you are to the rest of us that ride. I say all this not out of anger, but understanding. I used to be just like you. Go back and read some of my older posts. I was such a rebel I had to out-rebel all the rebels. I was selfish and irresponsible. I never wore a helmet (unless it was sub 50 degree temps or hard rain) and I scoffed at, and disrespected those that did.
                      I moved to an island where helmets are required by law. I figured, after one ride up to the northern end of the island, that my existing gear was sub-par. I bought a second jacket for those technical, spirited (aggressive) rides. I bought track boots and retired my combat boots. I bought a good helmet. Turns out, all that shit saved my ass in a little crashy-crash that happened 11 weeks ago. I got a broken lower leg, and ZERO, I say again ABSOLUTELY NO road rash. In my crash, I flew off the bike, tumbled, rolled and slid 85 feet. I was lucky my leg broke, rather than got severed, due to my track boot.

You make your own choice, slick...but remember that you arent alone in the world, and someone else WILL be heartbroken due to your selfishness and impulsive, entitled, immature decision to ride unsafely.

Now go heat up a TV dinner, or a pizza, and imagine having to ask someone to empty your piss bag for you, or make all your food for you...because you cant walk or use the toilet properly. All because gear is "less free."

Stop being a douchebag.
                      Last edited by Scout; 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM.
                      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                      Semper Fi

Comment

+1

My kids love me.

My wife loves me.

As much as I like riding I don't want to make myself a burden on them because of a selfish move on my part.

My wife had one request when I started riding, carry good insurance so that the medical part of an accident would be covered. A LOT covered. The life insurance has been in place for a long time. Do I hope to use either one? No. Do I ride with better peace of mind because I do have those coverages? Yes, yes I do. Makes it all that much more enjoyable for me.

Besides, have you ever taken a look down while you are running down the road at speed? While not a cheese grater the effect is much the same on human flesh...
                        Last edited by skjeflo; 06-24-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I have always wore a helmet just because but when I first got my bike that's all I wore for gear t shirt jeans tennis shoes up until I had an old bag bust a left hand turn right in front of me it took everything I had and a lot of luck keeping from laying it down after that I bought the whole nine boot coat gloves .it your choice to do what u want but I'm not going to put my life in someone elses hands so. To speak
                          when in doubt power out sally!!!!

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else here. Take the time to suit up, or just don't ride. You may think your riding responsible, but what about all the other people driving out there around you? Are they paying attention? I just took a rider last week who was stopped at a red light and was rear ended. He slid 5 to 6 feet, striking his head. He was fortunate because he was wearing his leathers and a helmet.

I see this all to often. People who are just riding a couple blocks, or just riding to the store, etc. and not thinking it through. All I'm saying, is take the time to ride safer.

Comment

Originally posted by Medic1701 View Post
                              I have to agree with everyone else here. Take the time to suit up, or just don't ride. You may think your riding responsible, but what about all the other people driving out there around you? Are they paying attention? I just took a rider last week who was stopped at a red light and was rear ended. He slid 5 to 6 feet, striking his head. He was fortunate because he was wearing his leathers and a helmet.

I see this all to often. People who are just riding a couple blocks, or just riding to the store, etc. and not thinking it through. All I'm saying, is take the time to ride safer.
                              Iowa is not much better. Last week we scraped a guy off the pavement that had been riding a V65 sabre. There was 300ft "debris" field from the dismount to where he was found. The bike was found another 100ft further. He was wearing shorts, wife beater, shoes(they were later found in the ditch). He died instantly when his skull made contact with the cement and the contents spilled out as he striped the pavement while he rolled. He had no skin left on his back, shoulders, and both his bare heels were ground down to the bone. He might have lived if he was wearing a helmet but damn the PAIN! He would have walked funny too. Funny thing was I couldn't see hardly any damage to the bike, it looked like I could have picked it up and rode it away. It had highway bars though so they worked awesome. We bagged him just as the flies were getting interested. Everyone said he was an "experienced rider", tell that to his kids.
                              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I have to agree with everyone here. Everytime I get the bike out even for a short ride im in jeans my alpinestar boots jacket with armour and helmet you never know when something may happen, even on days like the past couple in the upper 80's you need the gear you may think your are good but you cant account for the people driving around you. Everytime I ride with my dad he of course is a harley fan so jeans t shirt and no helmet and everytime we go out I pray to god to keep him safe because i know if he goes down chances of him getting back up are slim so do yourself a favor and gear up.

Comment

Working...
                                X