No announcement yet.
X

removing many layers of paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for pointing that out Mike... I had a copy/paste error in my thread. Originally I had written out all my sanding steps before and after priming. I deleted most of the after, but some stayed in and I didn't check.

You're absolutely right about not sanding with too smooth of a paper before priming. The highest I go is usually 220. The 320, 400, 600 and wet sanding I had mentioned was after priming. I only wet sanded the lower panels that were being painted silver. Fixed the original post now! Again, thanks Mike for pointing that out.

I do have an explanation about my time as well. First of all, I didn't actually tally up the hours scientifically. It was just a guesstimate of the whole process. Other reasons it took me longer is because I was working in a 6ft x 6ft workspace with two sawhorses, limited lighting, it was -10 C, and I'd never used the ABS sheet/cement method of repairing plastic before.
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter View Post
      I do have an explanation about my time as well. First of all, I didn't actually tally up the hours scientifically. It was just a guesstimate of the whole process. Other reasons it took me longer is because I was working in a 6ft x 6ft workspace with two sawhorses, limited lighting, it was -10 C, and I'd never used the ABS sheet/cement method of repairing plastic before.
      this is why I pointed out that my time was calculated on ideal settings set up for efficiency. how much time you add to it depends on the compromises you have to make.

And yes, now your hours sanding make sense
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I had suprisingly good results at removing the paint with the cheapo palm sander, the random orbital actually used more paper and wasn't as fast. I think I used 150 or such and it didn't gouge the plastic. If it does, hit it with the random orbital 220.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

just a couple to get started. the initial stages of the teardown...

wow sorry about the huge pic, i will resize next time. im also working in a 1 1/2 bay garage under my house. right now its kinda an organized mess... lol.. but when i broke the bike down all small parts were put into zip lock baggies and labled. many pics were taken and i also have the repair manual on cd so hopefully all will go smoothly back together, i have the frame and dome other misc parts going out to be sandblasted and powder coated today and this weekend i will work on the engine and trans rebuild.
          Last edited by fourhoofsfarm; 11-27-2009, 07:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          sigpic
          if you can read this then your in range.
          1 shot 1 kill

Comment

id the fairing already have a few cracks in them them I would suggest ebay and or kiiji for used fairings and use the old fairings to pratice paint prepping.

Oh and welcome to KR

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
              id the fairing already have a few cracks in them them I would suggest ebay and or kiiji for used fairings and use the old fairings to pratice paint prepping.
              Oh and welcome to KR
              How 'bout I pop over to the Island and practise on yours? You must be tired of that colour by now?!

Comment

well now i hve good news... might be picking up my second kat this weekend... have a guy interested in trading his 89gsx750f with 8900 miles on it for my 2001 yamaha ttr125l dirtbike that we never use anymore... wow 2 kats in the garage...all original and all stock... sweet deal....
                sigpic
                if you can read this then your in range.
                1 shot 1 kill

Comment

Working...
                X