X

New 1992 Katana 750 Owner Hello Everyone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1992 Katana 750 Owner Hello Everyone

I just bought a 1992 Suzuki Katana 750 but have been riding off and on for years so I decided to take the plunge and actually own a bike for the first time in my life. My problem now is over the winter someone tried to really hurt me by cutting my valve stem just enough to let air out but also so you could not see it. My first ride of the spring here in N.C. was not fun. The tire was flat which I thought was normal after sitting for the winter so I put air in it and took off well about a half mile down the road going about 70 steering got weird and that's when I found out there was a problem. When I looked you could tell someone took a knife to it and cut it halfway off with full intentions of letting me take a spill. Good thing I caught it and I do know who did this to me and he is being taken care of. My problem now is I have to put a new stem on the wheel so I was planning on doing it my self but I am having problems getting the wheel off. I don't seem to be able to get the bottom two bolts off the left and right brakes. I am new to all this repair work and do not have a owners manual. I know how to change the tire balance it and all that but the trouble is with these two bolts, they will not budge and I am coming close to stripping the bolts. Is there a trick or something I have missed? I know this is probably elementary to everyone here and it seems like it should be to me also but I am sitting with the bike now in my garage and thinking hard about this and searching for answers. I found this site and now I am a new member. So I will end this by saying hello to everybody and I am glad to have found this site and people that are into what I am but if anyone could take a minute without rubbing anything in and give me a few pointers it would be greatly appreciated. Its going to be 79 degrees today and I really would like to ride. Thanks again. Robert

Manual is available in mechanics 101. You may need some penetrating oil.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

thank u

Comment

Welcome to the site Robert. Mine were on there pretty good as well. Penetrating oil, 6 point socket, and a breaker bar should do the trick. Mine made a loud POP! when they broke loose.

Comment

I think I stripped them I water half a day on those two bottom bolts. I heated up and sprayed pb blaster to sit overnight I'm so furious a 20 min job is going to day 3

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Do you have any novelty stem caps on those wheels, or anything other than the normal thin plastic caps?

Also if you want, I'm not that far away... I'm always down to get together on a weekend day and have a "intro to kats maintenance" day and or ride some.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i cant figure out how to post in any other forums or threads. Im having a serious dilemma my bike will not start and I have tried everything I need help

Comment

Originally posted by rbrtgrell View Post
                    i cant figure out how to post in any other forums or threads. Im having a serious dilemma my bike will not start and I have tried everything I need help
                    Take Krey up on his offer, great guy and he is a KAT guru
                    2002 750 Kat
                    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

What's going on? I'm free all weekend. Able to transport the bike?

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        What's going on? I'm free all weekend. Able to transport the bike?

Krey
                        Dude you have free help offered to you!!!!!! Honestly if you are in serious need of help PM Krey with your address, he is more than willing to help you.
                        2002 750 Kat
                        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by rbrtgrell
                          ...The bike was running great after my friend changed the oil then one day just lost power and wouldn't crank back up. Next morning started right up but when I went to ride it stopped again. This continued every morning for a week or two starting up then dying out. Now the bike wont even start. Bought a new battery and drained fuel checked petcock everything seems fine. Once it started back up and popped and white smoke came out tailpipe but it died out again. That was after I put sea foam into the gas tank after draining it. I have a friend at a bike shop that would fix it but having issues getting it there and from everything im reading it would be a whole lot cheaper to do it myself. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry to bother you
                          My guess...

Your carb's float needles are not sealing correctly, allowing fuel to over flow in them. When they over flow fuel, that flows into the cylinders which drains around the rings into the crankcase. That mixes with the oil. Not only does this over fill the crankcase, but the engine is designed to spray the underside of the pistons with the oil when running. This means that when it gets warm, the fuel laden oil is able to work it's way up around the rings and increase the a/f mix in the cylinders at combustion time.

Simple of it... fuel in the crankcase makes the bike run very rich the hotter it gets. Additionally the hotter an engine, the worse it runs when rich.

The fixes...

1. Pull and do a full cleaning of the carbs. That means a complete disassembly and dip of the bodies. Replace any work/cracked rubber. Closely inspect he float needles for wear, replace if necessary. K&L rebuild kits is the most economical option I've found for the needles and those come with all the other o-rings too, so... it's a good option to consider. It will not come with other items like the pilot jet plugs (required to be in perfect shape) for the 90-97 models... or T connectors for the fuel/vent lines, so on.

Before putting the cleaned carbs back on the bike, do a leak test. Fill the bowls, blow on the fuel line. If you can move air = bad. Put a liquid source on the fuel line like it would be on the bike, and allow it to sit for a while. Any liquid leak out of the carbs? If yes, that = bad. Once confirmed no more leak... instal and sync the carbs.

2. Check the petcock is functioning correctly. Rebuild if necessary. The petcock is not the cause or prevention of the crankcase flooding issue, but it will exasperate that issue.

3. Once 1 and 2 are done, change the oil.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Thank You

I really appreciate you taking the time to help someone you have never met before. I am going to get started right now by pulling the carbs and I will surely let you know the end results. Hopefully I will be riding by this weekend. It has been killing me to see so many out riding and I have to watch everyone go on by me. Thank you though I will post back asap

Comment

Working...
                            X