Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Rants of a shady dealership by a proud kat owner...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rants of a shady dealership by a proud kat owner...

Hey all... I haven't posted here in AGES... glad to see the site is still around.

I am doing a total cosmetic rebuild (get to that in a minute) of my '06 Kat that I am the first owner on and have owned since '07...

Posting this part about the dealer not only because I am ****ed at them for being shady, but kinda as a new buyers guide also.

For most of my life I had ridden dirt bikes, one day I decided I wanted to start riding street bikes. so I did the usual browsing of dealership websites and craigs list. I had a very limited budget at the time so my range of bikes was limited. I wont lie, I was going for looks first at time because I knew that while I was experienced with dirt, the street is a new game and that performance would likely just get me in trouble. so I looked for the best looking cheapest NEW bike I could afford, I didn't know much about working on bikes at the time, and didn't want to inherit someone else's headache with a used bike.

So fast forwarding about 2 months I decided that the Katana was it for me I loved how the turn signals were integrated in the fairings giving it a sleek look and everything... So after a night of having a few beers with a friend that owned a CBR1000R at the time he "decided" that I have done enough research and that I should get this bike if I really wanted it so we could ride together... the next day I went to RideNow Powersports in Chandler AZ. I looked around the show room some, found my '06 Kat and decided to pull the trigger... I was very anxious to get this bike and get out riding. So I have the sales guy draw up a financing for me, he comes back with $199/mo for 5 years which was at the brink of my financial capability at the time. Then "LUCKILY" for me he says "BUT, if you get our service plan your payments will only be $149 a month". at this point I am like Sh** sign me up! go to the financing room and fly through the paperwork like a moron... What happened here, is they signed me up for the "GE Funancing" credit card (no longer exists) and put the balance of the bike and the service plan and probably whatever else they could squeeze onto the balance of this card. ($10k max they loaded up $9,999). Where I really screwed up is I came from the world of auto loans where you cant just open a credit card and throw a brand new car on it for the customer... So I didn't bother reading the papers figuring I was at $149/mo for 5 years like the guy implied.

After the first year my interest rate sky rocketed to 21.9% shooting my *minimum* payments up to $249.

Long story short, I have been paying on the katana since May 2007 and still owe $4k on it.

About 4 years back I got cut off then brake checked in the rain (perfect storm right?) and high sided the bike because I grabbed too much front brake and here in AZ when it rains oil likes to come up off the road. It threw me face first into the curb (props to my now dead scorpion exo and my alpine stars leather jacket) and the *** hole drove off... The bike was mechanically good, just all of the fairings were jacked, the bike slapped down so hard it cracked both the left and right side fairings, the bracket that holds the headlights, ripped some pegs out of the headlights, bent the upper fairing stay etc. so I ripped all that junk off and put on some street fighter headlights... looked ok, but a Kat with no side fairings a tail and some dual halogen headlights just looks sad. A few months after that a buddy of mine died screwing around late at night on his GSXR600 (riding a wheelie on a main road, oncoming SUV didn't see his headlight and a near head-on collision happened). Even though that accident was due to irresponsible riding it kinda put me off from it, so I haven't really ridden my bike in 3.5 years.

Now I am ****ed about STILL making payments on the katana and want to ride again. I saw on eBay that chinese companies are making aftermarket fairings for the Kat and selling the whole set for $500. So I am determined to rebuild my bike.

I bought a wiring harness (had to cut/splice for the streeetfighter headlights) and some of the busted/bent brackets I needed. Got a new speedo gauge cluster (I stupidly threw mine away not knowing how much they are worth and how rare low mile ones are on ebay) and now I just need to get the fairings and a bolt up kit for them. it will be a pretty fun experience rebuilding the bike, especially now that I know more about working on them (from dirt bikes) I am pretty sure I will need to take out my carbs and clean them then sync them since the bike has sat for so long, rust wont be an issue since I'm in Arizona.

Does anyone have any input on those ebay fairing kits? Also I plan on getting a D&D Exhaust set because I want to be as loud as possible so people know im on the road with them, hopefully avoiding another crappy experience.

Hah, I just wrote a mini-novel, enjoy.

Edit: Spelling errors
    Last edited by daspope; 07-27-2012, 03:15 AM.

If you end up getting those fairings let us know how good they are. I haven't bought any myself but I also had been looking at a set for around 250. It's probably some thin stuff to be that cheap though. Ask the guy how thick it is would be my first question I guess. If i think about it i'll check the thickness of my stock fairings in the morning and we can compare numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderfoot1978 View Post
      If you end up getting those fairings let us know how good they are. I haven't bought any myself but I also had been looking at a set for around 250. It's probably some thin stuff to be that cheap though. Ask the guy how thick it is would be my first question I guess. If i think about it i'll check the thickness of my stock fairings in the morning and we can compare numbers.
      the ones for $250 usually have $200+ shipping and the ones for $500 usually have free shipping so they are probably the same mfg under different seller names, or people in the US bundling the shipping costs into the price.

I just pulled some up and this is the thickness they had listed

Made by KUMHO(Korea reputed plastic manufacturer) ABS plastic around 2.4-2.7mm varied from parts

Comment

The ebay kits seem to work pretty well, they just arent as sturdy as OEM and some dont mount perfectly right out of the box.

As for the loud exhaust so people will notice you...loud pipes do not save lives.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          As for the loud exhaust so people will notice you...loud pipes do not save lives.
          They do help less attentive drivers have a better chance of noticing you.

Comment

No they don't, considering you can't hear them until you are directly next to them or ahead of them, they don't help at all. Rock on with your bad self.

Comment

I been looking at them chinese plastics too. But since $500 kinda blows my 'low cheap azz rebuild' budget out... i just chose to go with the nasty plastics by zombie'fying it. However i do need the lower cowling.

Let us know how the bolt on and such if/when you get them.
              "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

dang man you got rail roaded.
                im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  No they don't, considering you can't hear them until you are directly next to them or ahead of them, they don't help at all. Rock on with your bad self.
                  I've had a few drivers, usually young drivers or soccer moms pace to the side of me for miles then suddenly realize they need to be in my lane and come in on me. anywho, to each their own. its like the guys that wear the bright orange vests, its not going to help them with drivers to their side unless the drivers actually take the time to check and happen to notice them... same applies to louder pipes in a sense.

Originally posted by ratgti
                  dang man you got rail roaded.
                  That's a very nice way of putting it lol. Having only dealt with buying cars before this the whole concept of a dealership being able to open a credit card in your name and put a bike on it was unknown to me, lol... live and learn, I wont make that mistake again.

Originally posted by VampV View Post
                  I been looking at them chinese plastics too. But since $500 kinda blows my 'low cheap azz rebuild' budget out... i just chose to go with the nasty plastics by zombie'fying it. However i do need the lower cowling.

Let us know how the bolt on and such if/when you get them.
                  $500 is a steal compared to OEM replacements, sadly.

I am just glad I found the headlamp assembly and speedo on ebay for a reasonable price, the OEM prices on those is insane.

I hope to get the plastics some time in august. I am trying to fund the entire rebuild by selling crap I don't use on eBay, so far so good.
                  Last edited by daspope; 07-27-2012, 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Any way you could try to get a conventional loan and pay off that card? I got the same GE Funancing card, knowing the interest rate would jump, but I knew i'd pay off the dirt bike within a few weeks (long story short, I wanted the bike, and my bonus was late coming).

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                      Any way you could try to get a conventional loan and pay off that card? I got the same GE Funancing card, knowing the interest rate would jump, but I knew i'd pay off the dirt bike within a few weeks (long story short, I wanted the bike, and my bonus was late coming).
                      I thought about that a lot but stuff would always come up and put that idea to a halt. I am going to just try and work hard and get the cash to pay it all off at once some time this year.

Comment

loud pipes save lives if they are 2 foot straight pipes on a harley guy almost cut my mom off my dad rev'ed up his bike and almost rattled the windows out to warn him haha
                        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                        Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                        confused katana build

Comment

comedy, satire, Harley, cruiser crowd, motorcycle, motorcycles, slaying, dragon, deals gap,

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                          X