X

I am at my Wit's end.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am at my Wit's end.

I am at my wit's end on how to fix my bike now. Right now, I can push start the bike and it runs fine. But it will not start with push button start. (the weird thing is that it started with the push button start after we jump started the bike) I have replaced my battery, spark plugs, air filter, and oil. I checked for leakage and bad circuits. Everything seems to be within range of the spec.

I have no idea where to go from here. any wisdom would be much appreciated.

What do you mean it wont start with the button? Spins and wont catch or nothing happens at all when you hit the button?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Was having a related issue with my KLR. I broke out the factory service manual, read through the applicable trouble shooting section, took the manual with me out to the bike, and laid it on the bike. I tried one more thumb at the starter, and she thumped back to life like nothing was ever wrong. So my suggestion is to threaten to beat the bike with the service manual. If that doesn't work, you may have to actually go through the troubleshooting section.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

need to be a bit more descript there dude....

Does everything else light up?
        Did you charge the new battery after you put the acid in it?
        Did you check all of your fuses? Usually improper jumpstarting pops at least one fuse, usually the main feed fuse.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
          Was having a related issue with my KLR. I broke out the factory service manual, read through the applicable trouble shooting section, took the manual with me out to the bike, and laid it on the bike. I tried one more thumb at the starter, and she thumped back to life like nothing was ever wrong. So my suggestion is to threaten to beat the bike with the service manual. If that doesn't work, you may have to actually go through the troubleshooting section.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
            Tried that, but she called my bluff.

Originally posted by teddy
            need to be a bit more descript there dude....

Does everything else light up?
            Did you charge the new battery after you put the acid in it?
            Did you check all of your fuses? Usually improper jumpstarting pops at least one fuse, usually the main feed fuse.
            Checked all the fuses, they are good. The battery is fine. It has a charge around 12.5v. All the lights are on and pretty strong, but they flicker a little when they are just turned out. Also, there is a buzzing sound when the key is turned to on position.

Originally posted by scottynoface
            What do you mean it wont start with the button? Spins and wont catch or nothing happens at all when you hit the button?
            starter cranks but the engine wont turn.

Comment

If the starter spins but not engaging ,its the starter

when you remove the starter, take a look at the teeth for damage
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                If the starter spins but not engaging ,its the starter

when you remove the starter, take a look at the teeth for damage
                but i was able to start the bike fine, after i jump started it and shut it down. If the teeth are damaged, wouldn't that be impossible?

Comment

Take specific measurements...

Power at the battery key off and key on. Post both.

power at the coils (Orange/white stripe wires) with the key on.

Power at the coils with the starter turning over.

As a note... on that last measurement. If it's under 11v... your bike won't start and run from cold, but the starter will turn the motor over and over and over till the battery dies. You can push/bump start the bike and let it run for 1 min... and that will warm it up enough that it might start after that with no issues.

Till the next morning after it's cooled again.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Last summer I had a simular problem. I took the switch off the bars and opened it up...the contacts inside were covered with spider webbing. Cleaned it out, made sure contacts were clean, presto she started!

Comment

Originally posted by superbike View Post
                      Last summer I had a simular problem. I took the switch off the bars and opened it up...the contacts inside were covered with spider webbing. Cleaned it out, made sure contacts were clean, presto she started!
                      So you're the one!!!!!! I knew I read that once on here.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Take specific measurements...

Power at the battery key off and key on. Post both.

power at the coils (Orange/white stripe wires) with the key on.

Power at the coils with the starter turning over.

As a note... on that last measurement. If it's under 11v... your bike won't start and run from cold, but the starter will turn the motor over and over and over till the battery dies. You can push/bump start the bike and let it run for 1 min... and that will warm it up enough that it might start after that with no issues.

Till the next morning after it's cooled again.

Krey
                        With key off, battery reads 12.42v. with key on, battery reads close to 11. Charged the battery, she started up without a hitch. Hooray!

Annnnd, here comes another problem. so we kept the bike running on neutral to charge the battery. After 5 minutes or so, you could hear the engine starts to struggle and 10 - 20 seconds later it sputtered out.

Played around with the bike and did more troubleshooting. We checked the coils, the sparks from the spark plug. Everything looked fine and within spec. Then we fired her up again and took her out for a ride. The ride started out fine and everything was gravy. After about 5 minutes of riding, I noticed that she struggles a lot around 2.5k rpm. when given gas, it feels like there is no power at all. However, once the engine crosses the 2.5k mark, everything seems to be back to normal. If the engine speed dips below 2.5k you can feel that she is losing power. Without any gas input, the engine speed just keeps decreasing till the engine eventually sputteres out.

Thoughts?

Comment

Motorcycles dont charge at idle.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Carb issues probably. Might be some gas in the oil too to make it temp sensitive.

I'd check the oil level and smell for fuel. Definately pull the carbs and clean/inspect/test them.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              Carb issues probably. Might be some gas in the oil too to make it temp sensitive.

I'd check the oil level and smell for fuel. Definately pull the carbs and clean/inspect/test them.

Krey
                              we pulled the carbs and they look pretty clean. Added oil, still having the same problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X