No announcement yet.
X

Hmm..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So thats pretty much the reason why the kat's doesn't really have the power band like the "sport" bikes have. I've been on a R1 and a few SR6's and hand full of gsxr 750's, but the kat WOT is really "smooth" in pick up i guess is the the word im looking. Pretty much the reason i went with it, well that and the price
    A hero need not speak, for when he is gone the world will speak for him.

Comment

Originally posted by cafewithballz View Post
      So thats pretty much the reason why the kat's doesn't really have the power band like the "sport" bikes have. I've been on a R1 and a few SR6's and hand full of gsxr 750's, but the kat WOT is really "smooth" in pick up i guess is the the word im looking. Pretty much the reason i went with it, well that and the price

Well, it does... but the Kat engines are just alot lower overall HP performance compared to most modern day water cooled SS engines. So even though there is a definate peak performance rpm range (generally 8-11k is a huge difference vs 4-7k rpms for example), it's still "weak" in comparison.

If you go out and ride a bike with 30 more hp and 100-150lbs less weight... then ride a kat, it's gonna just feel really weak with that direct comparison.

Think about it for just the weight factor. Can you tell a huge difference in how a bike performs with a passenger and without? That's about the weight difference for a SS bike vs the Kats on avg.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

there's many reasons why the kats are more "smooth" as you put it, compared to an ss.. as krey said weight is a big factor. and the carbs as well. but also the cams, the vavles timing, the ignition timing, the shape of the pistons, the exhaust, and the clearances specs between parts, play a roll in it.. its not like Suzuki took a stock gsxr engine, put CV carbs on it and threw it in a heavy frame. they did quite a bit to tone it down
        if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

The GSXR engine has CV carbs also. In fact, the 88-89 GSXR 750 has BST36SS carbs, so does the 89-97 Katana 750. But that was 88-89. The GSXR has been water cooled since 1993 (1992 everywhere else in the world) and fuel injected since the late 90's. The Katana, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            The GSXR engine has CV carbs also. In fact, the 88-89 GSXR 750 has BST36SS carbs, so does the 89-97 Katana 750.
            huh. learn something new everyday

i new some "race" engines used CV carbs (my experiance with 4-wheelers anyways). i just figured gsxr's were mostly flatslides. guess not lol
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Indeed you do my friend lol.. thanks for clearing that one up for me haha.

Comment

So what about the air box boot's? are the pre and post boot's the same?

Comment

So what about the air box boot's? are the pre and post boot's the same?

No, they are not the same. The pre and post carbs have different shapes where the boots connect to them. The Post is round, the pre is oval.

I've compared boots and it did not look to me like they would be able to be made to work. I didn't try it by forcing them on, but just putting them up to each other there were multiple points things didn't match if I remember correctly.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ah ok.. Thanks kreylyn, so have you run the flat sides? Do those work with the airbox or is it better to run the stacks with those?

Comment

They don't use an air box. You run pods or just velocity stacks.

Comment

Working...
                      X