X

NEED HELP...and suggestions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP...and suggestions

Ok...here is the deal. I was using this dating site to meet women for the last 3 years or so (with pretty decent success), but I lost all desire for that bullshit.

BUT, I have discovered that there was more available on this site. There are TONS of bikers. Customs, Harleys, Sportbikes...male and female. There is 980134 members on this site. all in the province of Quebec. That is a huge market/opportunity...and many wish to meet new riders...like myself. In my area there is a MC club, but it's all fat old custom riders. There in no sportbike club at all. And I have heard many say that they have a hard time finding riding buddies. The closest one I know of is about 2 hours away. TOO FAR!

Soooo.... guess who is trying to start one up. President Mojoe....kinda has a ring to it, no? lol
    Anyway, in the last week I met 8 new riders on this site. I mean real meets...not just chatting about it. And I am meeting more on Friday.
    So I want to try to get these kind of meets a bit better organized into a bonafied MC club. I already have the name picked out....MotoSport Estrie. It is totally bilingual so the french won't bitch. Gotta remember....I am living smack in the middle of frog central. (sorry Sky...no offense...it is a a joke )

So why does this topic have a title like "Need Help"? Cuz I need to set up a website. I know squat about doing this. A forum like this would be cool, with slight differences. Less sections will be needed, and an addition of a page or two to post meets and events. Now I have no intention of dumping big money into something that I am not even sure will work (but fairly confident it will), so it has to be cheap to start off. So this is where I am hoping to maybe find someone on here who knows this stuff and willing to "help out" a fellow member. I am not looking for a freebie or a handout. After all, I realize it involves work. What I need is someone who might be willing to help me out as cheaply as possible until it takes off....if it takes off. I am confident I already have 15-20 people willing to join, and I haven't even began to spread the news.
    So once I have a website up, I can approach my local dealer who I am sure will sponsor the site if I choose him exclusively. I will also approach the ONE of the local MSF riding schools. Those 2 alone should cover website expenses....plus maybe more such as donations for raffles and stuff. In addition, they can distibute business card of the club, and allow me to put up a poster in the business. After all, they will be sponsoring it, so it is good business for them.

This idea has been in my head for a few years now....and this is the year I want to give it a shot. I should have started it this winter, but 3ft of snow has a way of sucking the motivation out of me. Damn winter!

anyway....that's the scoop. I need a webmaster. If he/she can give me a hand on this, and it works, he/she will be adequately compensated once it takes off. Kinda of a gamble really. Work cheap to start (free would be great, but I don't expect it)...then on a salary if it works.
    The bottom line is that I need a website. It is ESSENTIAL for it's success. It is the base of the whole idea, and without it, I can't do a damn thing.

that's it......thanks for looking.

Oh yea....katman05, sky, fatblue, Aramis....and any other quebec I might have forgot....I might be approaching you guys on this. You input and idea will be appreciated. If it does take of, it just might be too much for me. I would be needing a "staff".
    When I dream, I dream big. With a few associates like you guys...expansion is feasable. maybe the "premier" sportbike MC club of Quebec? Who knows? All I know is that if I don't try, I will never know.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

i got lost mojoe. i think it's a great idea to start a site to bring bikers together. you started off taking about a dating site ? i don't think the two will mix very well. as relationships come & go so will the drama on the site.

the other website i read has a local forum & i have meet many great people & learned new roads ! good luck

tim

Comment

NO NO....I am not starting a dating site for bikers.....lol
      The dating site is a different site that I have used for what it says...dating. But while on there, I discovered many people are not just looking for dating...but to meet friends...and friends only....to ride with. There are even ton of couples looking to meet other couple to do activities with. This site is no dating exclusive. actually the "dating" part of this site has nothing to do with my plan.....BUT, it is the same site as I will use to approach potential members. This is why I mention it, and sorry if it was not clear how the 2 tied together. My site will be ONLY motorcycle related and not a part of that other site at all. I am talking about 2 different sites all together. One that I will use to approach riders and direct them to my site. Get it?
      This site I will use...it is not like typical internet sites like yahoo dating ot that adult friendfinder crap. This is a Quebec only site with close to a million members....and it has a constant variety of real life activities happening all the time.

I did a search on that dating site for females with the keywrod "moto" (that is what the french call riding...faire la moto). The results were 1338 people. I did the same for males and the result was 2985. That is 4323 individuals just on this site looking to meet people who mention that they ride motorcycle in their profiles. I actually spent a good 4-5 hours browsing these profiles. based on the wide age differences, and most members being 30 and under, that is at least 2500 who ride sportbikes. So this site having 2500 members who ride sportbike is the prime location to pitch the club. If I am lucky enough to get even a 5% response, that is 125 members. half of that is still a decent size club. that is not even counting word of mouth and the other methods to spread the word. Plus on that other site, members can organize activities ranging from family day for the people with kids to all out ball room dancing...and everything in between. I will post a "bike meet" for the first time there while getting the website started...and use that to spread the word.
      Do you follow what I mean?

Comment

Check out...

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
          Check out...

www.meetup.com
          I did. only 6000 and something members from quebec, half outdated and inactive. PLUS, the activities are lame. who the hell want to go to a website design meet up? The site I will use has 980,000+ members in quebec alone...with more members who ride than the total members of quebecers on the site you posted who don't even mention riding.
          The site i will solicit from is all I need.

What I need is a WEBMASTER. I appreciate the gesture of links to other site, but that is not what I need. I have all I need but a WEBSITE.
          So I am looking to here from webmaster cuz I know squat about website design.

Comment

Yah I was lost too, Im like he's talking about finding chicks and it went into a MC club

Really though, the fees for a basic VB or phpBB board are not much for the software and license to own it and the hosting fees would be extremely minimal as your first starting out. As it grows they would increase of course but not an ridiculously amount normally.

There are alot of phpBB and VB sites out there with tons of help files and mods, etc., to customize your board anyway you like.

Junior, did u much luck using meetup.com ? I tried it before but actually getting to meet people in my area with being the president and starting my own meetup group was a bit much..that was a long time ago so things may be different now with it.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
              Junior, did u much luck using meetup.com ? I tried it before but actually getting to meet people in my area with being the president and starting my own meetup group was a bit much..that was a long time ago so things may be different now with it.
              I'm a member of a local photography meetup, but I have no involvment with the operations of it. I have also heard that it is quite daunting and time consuming.

Comment

You are right Mojoe ... as you know I am a member of that site and that is where I met most of my actual riding buddies ... some are single some are couple some are men others are woman ... their common goal is to find ather riders to have some fun .... I know most of them would gladly join a motorcycle basis site in order to meet other riders and have fun riding around and meeting new friends

Keep me posted my friend and where is that ride on Friday ???? me and hubby are free .....
                Guylaine
                Try and keep up now

Comment

actually, I had a few people tell me that building a website is easy...but when I ask them how, they don't seem to have an answer. Even if you can point me to easy to use software programs or something, that might even be enough. all i have ever done is uploaded a few photos to my webspace...lol.

Comment

I will get back to you sky. I have to contact chris and see what he is doing. i will be in touch with you in private so as not to clutter this site with our local stuff. i want to keep this on topic for help/info/suggestions on webpage design.

Comment

The process if fairly simple, feel free to send me a pm if you want some more details.

First you need to get a domain name (about 15$/yr). That will be your address, ie (katriders.com). Second to that, you will need a webhosting company. Their prices are based on the amount of bandwidth you need, with varying fees. Also pretty cheap.
                      Like Wildkat mentioned, there are a lot of free forums with a wild variety of premade themes.
                      phpBB, phpnuke, dotnetnuke, vb, etc. They're real easy to maintain and stuff.
                      Anyway, once you get a host company, they'll ask you to input all the information for your domain, so that way your web address then points to your files.
                      Once you get all your files together, you upload them to your host, and bada bing, your site is up and active

Comment

Do you want just a forum or do you want a front page, along with the forum and perhaps some other pages too.

Forums are great in that you can have your calendar of events, a photo album, classifieds, rider profiles, etc.. the whole 9 right onto the forum all ready to go for the members and its all right there very user friendly for the most part and saves you alot of coding (or whoever you get to do it for you) from making a page for a calendar, a page pics, a page for general information, etc.

A front page would be ideal just to have a starting point for your forum but u dont really need more than that, just starting out atleast, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS
                          phpBB, phpnuke, dotnetnuke, vb, etc. They're real easy to maintain and stuff.
                          well that might be the case, but the problem is I have no idea wtf you are talking about. I hear ya talking, but all I hear is f'k the BB, launch a nuke, eat a donut and puke...and watch out for vd.

seriously...I have no idea what any of that stuff you rattled off is. is it code? websites? programs?
                          I will pm you, but you might regret it. when it comes to that stuff, I am like a 5yr old learning hwo to drive. worse maybe cause my 41yr ol braind absorbs this shit slow than a 5yr old...lol.

Comment

Those terms are forum packages. Each forum runs on a different underlying program package.
                            KR uses phpBB. There are a variety of others, each with strengths and weaknesses.

Just throw those terms into google and see what pops up

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              NO NO....I am not starting a dating site for bikers.....
                              No offence to Tim or Mojoe
                              but anyone who has been here for a while should shudder at the thought of
                              Mojoe getting into the dateing business!!!

Mojoe, there are tons of Website builders online.
                              Check out something like Download.com or the like..
                              Hosting sites like Yahoo have build tools that
                              have basicly click and drag building..
                              After all, the easier thay make it to build a site the better your
                              site also the more people build sites and the more traffic ($$$) they get..

Comment

Working...
                              X