X

'82 Kat....CV Carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 Kat....CV Carbs

During the course of cleaning a set of carbs, I removed the factory plugs over the Air screws. As a base, I checked the screw positions as I exposed them. They were as follows:

#1 4.50 rounds out
    #2 3.25 rounds out
    #3 3.25 rounds out
    #4 3.75 rounds out

I'm assuming 3.50 rounds out would be a good starting point but as it was it seems #1 was out of line. #2 & 3 seem to follow suit on the butterfly sync procedure.

I guess they put the bank of carbs in a test fixture at the factory for the EPA tune job. Assuming the butterflies have been sync'd, how do you set the slow circuit? Plug chops? Gauges? I'm sure these weren't covered in the service manual due to the "permanent" plug, but I'm only used to working on old twins and don't know where to start (other than 3-1/2 rounds out) on getting it close to being right.

Thanks, again.

Z

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post
    During the course of cleaning a set of carbs, I removed the factory plugs over the Air screws. As a base, I checked the screw positions as I exposed them. They were as follows:

#1 4.50 rounds out
    #2 3.25 rounds out
    #3 3.25 rounds out
    #4 3.75 rounds out

I'm assuming 3.50 rounds out would be a good starting point but as it was it seems #1 was out of line. #2 & 3 seem to follow suit on the butterfly sync procedure.

I guess they put the bank of carbs in a test fixture at the factory for the EPA tune job. Assuming the butterflies have been sync'd, how do you set the slow circuit? Plug chops? Gauges? I'm sure these weren't covered in the service manual due to the "permanent" plug, but I'm only used to working on old twins and don't know where to start (other than 3-1/2 rounds out) on getting it close to being right.

Thanks, again.

Z
    If you get a right angle screwdriver (motion pro sells some under carb tools) you can adjust the A/F screws correctly instead of having to guess.

At Idle, turn in a screw slowly until that cylinder starts to miss/run rough... back it out 1/4 turn. Do the next, etc... This would be the optimal way to set the A/F screws...

If it idles at all at 3.5 turns... then that will work good enough I guess.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey, if you are going to post in the Vintage section, do some reading & study up on the old Kats first. The early Kat Mikuni cv carbs have the mixture screws on TOP. You should start by adjusting them 2.5 turns out & then tune it from there. Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Working...
      X