X

Clear lenses replacement process?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear lenses replacement process?

Can someone tell me whats involved in changing out my lenses, do I need to take off the fairing or how does the turn signal come out? wanna get the clear alternatives smoke but want to know how much work it'll take.
    Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

The process is pretty easy. I'm assuming you haven't taken the side fairings off, so I'd leave at least an hour to do the job.

1. Take your fairing off.

*You have to remove the mirrors to do this and take the turn signal bulb out of the housing once you've gotten the fairing unscrewed. I think each side of the fairing has about 9 screws plus 2 more holding on the mirror.

2. Replace the light bulb with the included one.

3. Unscrew the lens from the inside of the fairing.

* There's another piece of plastic attached to the inside of the fairing with 2-3 screws. It helps to remove this as well to better get at the screws holding the lens in.

4. Screw the clear lens on.

5. Replace the fairing.

6. Do the other side.

The Haynes service manual gives you step-by-step instructions to do this stuff if you get stuck, but I promise, it's not that hard. All the tools you'd need are included in the emergency toolkit under your seat (Phillips head screwdriver and a few different sized Allen keys).

Comment

I know you may not want to remove the fairing, but trust me it makes the job a lot easier and it is not hard to take off and put back on. It will save you time and frustration also.

Comment

thx ill give u an update when done

Comment

It'll take alittle bit to loosen the fairings, and becareful w/ the black plastic push rivits under the front fairing under the headlight..if you snap one of them off, you'll have to probably check a dealer to get replacements unless you find them online.

You can do it withought completely taking off the fairings, just loosen them, but it is a bit of a pain and if u have big hands and arms its even worse.

Comment

bah u dont need to take the fairing off, i didnt, just slip a rench in behind the handlebars/ guage cluster, and loosten up the stock lenses

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
              It'll take alittle bit to loosen the fairings, and becareful w/ the black plastic push rivits under the front fairing under the headlight..if you snap one of them off, you'll have to probably check a dealer to get replacements unless you find them online.
              Actually, I was looking for bolts the other day at Lowes and came across those push rivits. They have all kinds of sizes there. I broke a couple of mine, so I bought some there. They work great. FYI Anytime I don't have to go to a dealer for parts is a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by backdraft51185
                bah u dont need to take the fairing off, i didnt, just slip a rench in behind the handlebars/ guage cluster, and loosten up the stock lenses
                That doesnt work when you have big arms and big hands

Im sure you found those rivits for alot cheaper at Lowes anyways..they are a royal pain to try and get off without snapping them so its better to have a few extra anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by katlover
                  Actually, I was looking for bolts the other day at Lowes and came across those push rivits. They have all kinds of sizes there. I broke a couple of mine, so I bought some there. They work great. FYI Anytime I don't have to go to a dealer for parts is a great time.
                  Are the ones from Lowes the right size (diameter)?

As for changing the front blinker lenses: you can do it on a 98+ readily enough without removing the fairings as long as you have either a 90 degree screwdriver (phillips if I recall correctly) such as the tiny one included in most screwdriver sets, or a flexible-shafted screw driver.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    Originally posted by katlover
                    Are the ones from Lowes the right size (diameter)?

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    The ones at Lowes in my area looked almost exactly the same. They work great. They are on there right now.

Comment

yeah i took mine off without taking the fairings off.. was a PITA... especialyl since i have big arms and hands.. but i did it nonetheless.
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Here's the alternative...just buy a bike that already has this mod done....no work or mess...
                        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I took my fairings off to do mine. Of course I can rip my bike down in minutes seeings how I have had that thing apart so much.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, just finished today, took maybe 30 mins for the front. Actually easiest way is to not take off fairing but go to fron tire, take out the guard underneath on each side, 3 screws and 1 pop out plastic clip thingy and instant access to the blinker. Turn the front wheel to get right angle to screws and voila. Just put the picks up in the picks forum. thx,!!!

Comment

lets see them pics....
                              rock
                              always working on mods

Comment

Working...
                              X