My Kat From Hell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kat From Hell

I am new here and new to sport bikes.
    I normally ride a Harley but I sold it the beginning of the year because I messed up my back and thought I would not be riding any more. I have been ridding Harleys for about 40 years. Well here I am doing a lot better and figuring I could ride again. So I started looking at Craigslist. I decided I would get a scooter. Tried out an almost new Honda Helix with less than 1500 miles. No could do. I guess they are ok for some but not for me. Next up a Suzuki Phantom 250. Brought over from Asia. You can't find them here or any place else but Asia. It looks like a Virago 250 but has a disk brake in the front and back along with mag wheels instead of spokes and drum. It was a rag but let me know I wanted something bigger. I decided I could handle a 500 to 1100 ok. Yesterday I saw this

I checked out Katanas on line and it said they were nice sport touring bikes. I thought I would like to give it a try now that I have been retired so I bought it. What was I thinking? It too is a rag [the guy with the 250 wanted the same amount for it. I probably should have gone with it.] but it had almost brand new tires on it worth over $400 new. He said something about messing with the clutch and dropping a spring. I thought it's rough but I could fix the clutch and ride it for a while and if I did not like it I could sell it and get something else.

Here I am yesterday with the bike loaded on my truck. Oh by the way I am 65. OMG what was I thinking????

I look happy there because I am. That saying about the best two days are when you by it and sell it come to mind.

Here are some more pictures of it.

Now when I was there buying it, it started right up and ran great. Everything but the clutch and the front blinkers worked. I unloaded it and parked it on the driveway. About an hour later I notice a few drops of oil.
    Today there is a large puddle of oil. I am guessing that I must have knocked something lose yesterday. After I took the body panels off I found the clutch cover missing three screws... no jokes here please..... and about two inches of the gasket sticking outside the cover. I took the body panels off after trying to figure out how to get the seat off. That was fun in it's self.... not. After I got the seat off I found a clutch spring where the battery is.
    Before there was a lot of oil on the ground earlier this morning after getting all the body panels off, by that I mean two panels as thats all there is, I started it back up. Once again it started right up but had to ad the choke until it warmed up then it purrred like a kitten. However the turn signals are in flasher mode now and I can't get them to turn off. Now I know that this wasn't a problem yesterday. I found that out this morning when I took off the body panels. The front turn signals were not connected then. I need help sorting it out. Ok I just plain need help. Forget about the bike.
    Notice the big gaps in the body work. Oh this will have you in stitches. See the drivers peg that has been broken off. It was like that when I bought. He was using a bolt stuck in one of the holes for a peg. I will have to get a picture of it. Alcohol will do that to you. Oh forgot to mention that he's an alcoholic or so he told me. It's a long story and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. No I did not see any red flags. ROFLMAO I think I can tell my doctors they can cut back on my meds though.

I almost forgot. I don't know where my head was on this next one. I always check the tank. Snap no I didn't. I'll get a picture tomorrow of it.

Now I've got Kat fever. I'm waiting until Monday to get the title in my name before I start buying parts for it though. I've been through that before. I'll wait and see if I ride or part it. Got the parts bookmark for sure. Hope it turns out to be a rider.

I have been reading the forum and checking things out. So far the only thing that has me scratching my head is the emergency blinkers won't shut off. You can bet I will be looking for more help as I go along.
    Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 04-15-2017, 10:10 PM.

Welcome.
    They dont have emerg blinkers AFAIK. Do both sides flash or just one side? Try pushing in the turn signal switch on the bars.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Snap. Both back turn signals are flashing in unison like they are in emergency mode.

Comment

Maybe the post Kats have that, mine is a pre-98
        1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
        V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
        Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Welcome to KR.
          Euro bikes have E-flasher. I would clean the switch if pushing the signal switch doesn't stop the flashing then check the wiring to stop the dual flashing. I don't see anything that would bother me to much. Clutch and peg is an easy fix. The tank, if rusty could be sealed. The manual is available here http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138096
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

First, grats on the new ride.

Second... Don't Panic!

Okay, you have a project, but it's really not that bad. The PO obviously didn't care for it, but over all it's a decent starting point for the price paid (with those really nice tires) so...

I thought emergency flashers were added to the 750 Kat model in 04 (for US models). I'd think the switch would be on one of the bar pods, but not 100% sure where. I'm sure it's a simple resolution one the switch is found.

The chain and sprockets need to be changed obviously. I'd recommend 530 D.I.D. chain with steel sprockets. About $200 there. I'd take off the front sprocket cover before you start buying parts though. There may be other issues hidden there caused when the chain came off (damage to the left side shows that clearly did happen at some point).

The OEM covers on these bikes are easy to crack if it falls over or is on it's side. Just the way you transported the bike could have cracked a cover (not saying it did, but the weight of the bike on it's side is enough to do it....) It's a simple fix.

The clutch... probably not a major issue, but a replacement clutch pack with new springs would probably be a good idea. Not a huge cost or hard to do, but the PO obviously abused the hell out of the bike and I'm betting the clutch has had a really bad time of it. That would be why they were in there to start with. Perhaps they already tried to instal new parts, and it just needs some attention. Pull the cover to confirm new plats or what condition they are in.

You have a carbed bike. It will always need a little "choke" to get it started when cold, but should warm up quickly. If it otherwise does start with choke well, and warms up quickly, it shouldn't be a problem. Once you get to riding it, if you notice a lot of buzz/vibration, it might be a slightly lean issue. A jet kit and carb tune is a simple resolution for that, down the road.

Overall I think you have made a decent bike purchase that just needs a little attention. None of it off hand is really a challenge, and just taking it one step at a time will get it back to a good and dependable ride.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome aboard, best of luck with the project
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome.
                I guess I am going to have to say it's a rescued Kat now as I have officially gotten it put in my name and the title should be here in a week. Got it registered too, maybe prematurely though. Here is the problem with the clutch or I at least I think it is. The guy said he dropped a spring. I am guessing this is what he meant. You can also see the torn gasket. I found that the bolts were all lose which along with the gasket explains the leaking I think. The cover is fine or at least it looks that way. I could not find any cracks.

I am thinking that I probably could get the broken bolt out or I could just buy the whole thing off of eFlea. I probably will do that anyway as I don't have access to another bolt. I do have the spring though. I am going to buy a clutch and springs from Amazing or eFlea no matter what. Here's the clutch basket choices from eFlea. I am going with the first even though it stops at ?4.

I've been busy finding parts for it. I've got the drivers bracket and peg ordered and front and rear brakes etc.

It really looks different with the body panels off. While I was looking at it, I noticed that the front fender is missing. Joy Joy©Ïot. It also needs a new clip on for the left side. This thing is starting to look like a money pit.

I'm second thinking that I should have taken the Suzuki 250.
                Even more so I saw this bike first but declined because I thought it would be too heavy for one and t was over 300 miles away. He wants $1300 for it. The bike has just under 50,000 miles on it and everything works. At least that is what he told me when I talked to him. He told me he would take less for it. I am pretty sure that I will go ahead and get it while I am waiting for the rescued Kat to get finished. I just hate dragging a trailer that far. I don't think I would be able to get it in the back of my truck and for sure I won't be able to get it off. I had to get help to get the 750 off. It was a bear with two of us. Well I am pretty weak from having a bad virus almost all last year. I went from 220 to 170. I am at 175 now. I lost a lot of muscle mass. I am beginning to put it back on but as an idea as to the shape I am in, I can't put the bike on its center stand even though it weighs about 50lbs less than my old Honda 750 which I had no problem getting on the center stand before I got sick. I could hire a couple of guys to get it off I suppose. Scary idea though but it's such a nice bike I think.

Now as far changing the front sprocket etc. That looks like it's complicated. The chain is off the sprocket because the PO was going to sell the tires off of it but I got there first. You can see where the tire has been moved all the way forward. Not doubting that the chain hasn't jump off before or that it needs to be replaced along with both sprockets. I had planned on doing this anyway, just not until I got the bike running again. I took the chain guard off and put the chain back on the sprocket so you could see. When I get to that point I am sure I will need some help figuring how to get into the sprocket cover off and which sprockets to get for better mileage. I know I saw it somewhere on here and something about which oil to use. Burning too many hours looking things up.

Well waiting on parts. Still haven't figured out the emergency blinker yet. I did notice when I was looking at taking off the sprocket cover a bunch of clipped wires and something like a blinker can that was full of corrosion from the battery maybe. Anyone have an idea as to what it is?

Oh is there anyway to post pictures without you having to click on a link to go there?

Thanks everyone for the help.
                Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 04-18-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I would get the bolt out. Shouldn't be to difficult, they snap at lower torque.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Usually somewhere like flicker shows you a link you can copy/paste that directly inserts the image.

Sorry about being sick - I've had a couple illnesses/injuries that have knocked me on my ass, never easy.

Sprocket cover is easy. There are only a few bolts that hold it on. 5?6? You will need to mark or remember which goes where though, several are different lengths. If the chain is still intact, removing the front sprocket isn't too hard. Remive sprocket cover. Wedge something in-between the spokes of the rim and the swing arm so that the wheel can't spin. Use a breaker bar, and remove the nut holding the sprocket on. Seriously, use a breaker bar. And if the rear wheel can spin, you won't be able to loosen the nut. The engine will turn over first. Crucial to have the chain still intact so you can lock up the rear wheel.

When you go to replace the sprockets, look at gearingcommander.com. they show what rpms you'll get at what speeds with different gears, tires, etc.
                    Also, I'd highly recommend steel sprockets. They last forever.
                    Invest in a high quality chain. Cheap ones last a couple (literally) thousand miles. I, and others here, have gotten 30+K miles with taking care of a good one. D.I.D., RK, there's a few others.

You've got a post Kat. So do i. My plastics are all off right now, I can try and trace that wiring later (likely can't until the weekend) and let you know what's it's to. PM me if I forget.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

OK I am going for the bolt first. Just have to find my tools to do this with. I guess I will be force to go to the dealer for the bolt. I've got the spring. Anyone know what they need to be torqued to?

Anyone know what oil to use in a 2006 GSX750F?

I tell you one day I was fine and then the next my world changed. I can't believe how hard and how much time it's taking to just get to where I am now.

I am definitely going to changed everything when it comes to the chain and sprockets with the good stuff. I've seen the aftermath of a chain exploding at speed. I have impact tools. Will that work instead?

That would be great if you could figure out what that is. I am also looking for the blinker module to see if that is what is causing the emergency blinkers to run. On a Harley it's no problem.

I've given up on Flickr. All the info is at least 4 years old so I am going to try google photos.

Well snap, that did not work.

Back to flicky

Snap Flicky did not work either. This is crazy. It use to be so easy.

Well that is the only way I can do it. I just thought it would be easier to just put the photo in instead of having to click on a link. Oh well.

Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 04-18-2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Project Kats are fun until you end up with a Frankenstein

1995-750 Katana frame
                        1998-bandit 1200 engine
                        1989-gsxr high lift cams
                        2010-Yamaha R6 shock
                        2002-gsxf 750 rear rim(possibly)

Throw in a Dyna 2000 ignition system and a big bore 11:1 compression forged pistons from Wiseco.

Kat fever is real.

Congratulations on your new bike, you'll find a lot of awesome people and some good help here.
                        Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
                        The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Can't say what the torque is for a post kat so, check the manual. If you don't have one download it from mechanics 101.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Looks to me (based on the connector and the rubber cover) that the cut wires are for the side stand switch.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96846&page=2

That said the bike shouldn't start with them in that condition (I assume that they aren't touching each other) so I'm probably wrong....unless someone rigged a jumper in the connector somehow, or the wires are actually twisted together.

Comment

Tekgnome!! Update the build thread please!! Long time no see!

Cptn- no idea about the impact wrench. Let us know?
                              If you meant forced to go to the stealer to order the bolt, ronayers.com or bikebandit.com are generally much cheaper.

Will look at wiring to confirm skjeflo
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                              X