No announcement yet.
X

Another turbo katana build....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Knifes and your threads im DEFINATELY doing this as a next project on my Kat...i wanna get my aluminum welder before i take on a big project like this though...i'd like to do everthing myself..and the kat going under the knife would be awesome to come out with a new tail and a new set of lungs at the same time...might even extend the swing arm alittle...definetly keep us posted on the build. could use all the help i can get. im fairly mechanicly inclined but if i can see pictures and instructions i'd be less apt to destroy something..lol

Comment

sure will buddy, this is basicly going to be as much step by step as i possibly can.
      "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
      2004 marauder 800

Comment

this is my first bike so just like my first vehicle i'll probably have it until they outlaw combustion engines..lol..and i would like to do whatever i could to it to show up as many bikes as i can in a Kan-a-tuna..just like i like to race people and beat them in my Ford Maverick...cause im like..oh yeah..this just beat you..lol

Comment

eh its kinda why im doing it, im not going to be the fastest bike out there and im perfectly fine with that. I would have just bought a busa and slapped 30lbs of boost on it if it was the case, but i rather just do something different and rarely done. More of the "im different" factor.

2006 turboed kat
          2004 marauder 800

Comment

Thats EXACTLY why i do what i do. . . everyone was on my case about my maverick and how much money i put into it.."the money you spent on that car you could have bought an early model mustang"..yeah but my maverick can run circles around an early model mustang...and you'd be surprised how many riders around my town love all my friends and my kats..didnt mean to thread jack and rant about stuff..lol.

Comment

sounds good.

2006 turboed kat
              2004 marauder 800

Comment

wait till you see what we finished tonight...damn i still havent posted a pic of my fuel system yet, and my swingarm, or my oil lines...lol....so hijacked for a sec

Comment

haha nice hijack there, yea fricking yesterday on your bike turned out amazing, then yet again tonight turns out amazing... maybe we need to start a custom kat build business lol..... well like he say'ed here's what we got finished tonight......

First we started off getting the header finished.. dont have a picture of the header alone, but you'll see in later pictures... so then we started by cutting the stock flanges off of the turbo..

here it is cleaned up

then got the new inlet side of the exhaust flange welded up. as you can see rob's true calling is a model.. haha....

here's what the adapter we used to fit the flange to the turbo itself...

here is another angle of the one flange welded up.

THEN, we bolted it together it's kinda like seeing your first baby born, so beautiful.

So... the next step was to weld up the new outlet of the exhaust flange so here it is tacked,

Then getting welded up.......

And then now its all welded, (it got sanded flush just don't have a pic)

then decided to bolt the exhaust on...........

ISN'T IT BEAUTIFUL!!!!?!???!??!?!?!?!?!?!

so yea, that's what we did today... tomorrow im going to throw some high temp paint on, get a few fittings for the turbo.. and put the header wrap on it...oh and finish the fuel reg.

2006 turboed kat
                  2004 marauder 800

Comment

Amazing. I can't wait to see it don't,thanks for the pics.
                    Randy

Comment

Not gonna lie... I saw the word turbo and ignored the thread. Just went through the thread and I am very pleased! We all have grand ideas but to find follow through takes some real searching. Thank you for keeping my hopes alive. I would probably never do a turbo on a Kat but I give mad props for your delivery, it may not be my flavor but it is straight up...
                      95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                      Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                      ---
                      I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

thanks!

2006 turboed kat
                        2004 marauder 800

Comment

Is that just an ametuer level welder? Ive been thinking of picking one up and attempting to do a little fabrication on a go kart. Doesn't seem like it would be to tricky to get the hang of.

Will you be dyno testing this bike after the project?

Comment

I'd also like to know about how much gas mileage you get with this thing..im gonna start gettin some parts together to do this build either next winter or whenever i get the down time...i would just hate to take my bike off the road in good weather..

Comment

Originally posted by zax722 View Post
                              I'd also like to know about how much gas mileage you get with this thing..im gonna start gettin some parts together to do this build either next winter or whenever i get the down time...i would just hate to take my bike off the road in good weather..
                              Better than before and worse than before. All depends on you right hand, motors can run off boost (depending on the set up of course) and typically no require much effort at all to do what would take more effort.

Although thats how it works on car, not sure how this whole carberated deal works.

BTW your last picture post read my mind. I was going to say you could file down some of a bumps and rises from the welds and then coat it and put some header wraps on it to make it look nice. This thread is going places.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM3 View Post
                                Is that just an ametuer level welder? Ive been thinking of picking one up and attempting to do a little fabrication on a go kart. Doesn't seem like it would be to tricky to get the hang of.

Will you be dyno testing this bike after the project?
                                the welder, just a 110v mig welder, it takes time to learn and to know what to do to weld.... dyno?.... maybe we'll see.

Originally posted by zax722 View Post
                                like the other guy said, it depends on how much your in it.

Originally posted by SpecM3 View Post
                                Better than before and worse than before. All depends on you right hand, motors can run off boost (depending on the set up of course) and typically no require much effort at all to do what would take more effort.

Although thats how it works on car, not sure how this whole carberated deal works.

BTW your last picture post read my mind. I was going to say you could file down some of a bumps and rises from the welds and then coat it and put some header wraps on it to make it look nice. This thread is going places.
                                Yea today im going to get it painted and when that dry's I have all my header wrap to put on.
                                Last edited by mstngsrule68; 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2006 turboed kat
                                2004 marauder 800

Comment

Working...
                                X