X

Installation of LED's Completed....lots of pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of LED's Completed....lots of pics

Alright, Finally I got My LED's on my bike. I have 88 of them in total, the majority being Joe Florida's LED's, but some were left over from a package of Eletropods i had before i ordered Joe Florida's. I took all my fairings off in order to properly wire up all the lights, and run the wires in at least a semi-organized manner. I also have my rear tire off(mainly because i was getting a new tire on it, but it also helped a lot in wiring up the LED's.

For the LED pods themselves, the Electropods kit came with 2, 5 LED strips and 6, 5 LED pods. From Joe Florida I ordered 10, 3 LED pods, which had one LED pointing straight and the others pointing at 45 degree angles, 2, 4 LED pods which shot straight ahead for one large glowing area, and 10 sinlge LED's to put wherever.

First here is all the stuff i used throughout my process. I have Duct tape, black electrical tape, red duct tape, cool tape(to protect the wires and LED pods near the exhaust), 3m heavy sticky tape, zip ties(both big and small), extra wire, and some JB Weld wire connectors(blue tube like things) and wire connectrors both male and female(meaning both parts that plug into each other to connect the wires) I used the connector pieces for the LED's on my side and belly fairings, that way i can completely remove the fairings without having to unwire all the wires, I just unplug them. And finally a wire stripper/cutter(although i fine a fingernail clipper works a lot better, and is more maneuverable in order to cut wire and the zip ties)

Alright, so for the fairings used 2 electropods (and on one side a Joe Florida 3 led pod also) in between the 2 closest fairing holes. I used 3M tape to secure them, and attached the wires to the mesh over the holes via zip ties(not shown in pic, I did it after the pictures were taken). I also put some of the Cool Tape tape over the wires to help shield them from the heat. One 3 LED pod is also on the belly fairing at an angle to get some light under the middle of the bike. Again this is covered and wrapped in the Cool Tape to protect from the exhaust and engine heat. Then for the other 2 holes, one one side I put a 4 LED pod on the inside of the frame pointing towards the airbox/engine, and on the other side I used 4 single LED's b/c I ran out of the LED pods. Then worked just fine though. I don't have a pic of the LED pod, but basically it is put behind the metal frame of the bike right where the hole in the fairing is. Here are also some pics of the connectors i used and how they work, so you are able to completely remove the fairings if need be.

To cover part of the rear, I drilled 4 holes in the tail section right behind where the took kit goes. I put 4 of the single LED's in the holes, positioned them how i wanted them, then mixed up some of the JB weld and filled in the holes around the LED's to keep them in place. It worked out really well.

Then to light up under the seat behind the heal guards I placed 2 of the ElectroPods(the four LED pod's from Joe Florida would work great too instead of the electropods) on the plastic piece directly underneath the seat. I used 3m tape and zip ties to hold them in place. For the zip ties i drilled 4 holes through the plastic. One LED pod went on one one side of the four holes facing the tire and the other on the other side facing the underneath the heel guards. To light up more of the rear I also put the 2 led strips under the tail section of the bike. They are held on with 3m tape, and 3 zip ties each. For the zip ties i again drilled holes in the plastic of the undertail on the sides and ran the zip ties around the LED strips.

To light up the front I used one 4 LED pod from Joe Florida and one 3 LED pod. The 4 LED pod pointed backwards toward the belly pan, and the other pod pointed forward towards the front fender. I also put 2 of the single LED's in between the fron forks and the little plastic piece on th forks.The wires were run up and along existing wiring on the right side of the bike.

This shot is from the back of the bike to the front, underneath(right above the bellypan)

Then Last but not least for some ground effects i put 6 l LED pods on the rear swing arm. Basically i positioned and angled them so they were not right behind the exhaust, and so the 3 pools of light each one shines on the ground are not overlapping very much, giving the most light possible. I'm not a big fan of having the pods shoing like that, along with the wires, but for the desired effect that is all i could really do.

Finally for the switch, I just installed it where the wires from the ignition usually go. There is a metal hook right in front of the handlebars, and i just bent it a little more and taped it there.

And basically to hook it all up you have a wire from your battery(positive pole) to a fuse, and then from the fuse to the switch, and a wire connected to the negative pole of the battery. Then you run all the positive wires together and all the negative wires together. You connect the positive wires to the wire from the switch and the negative wires to the wire attached to the negative pole of the battery. And viola, it should work. As much as possible try and run the wires with existing wires, and use the zipties and such to secure the wires to the frame, of other wire bundles. I also used Electrical tape around all the connections made with the wires to help protect them.

Alright, and for the finished product this is what She looks like. All are at night, but some are with the flash and others are without.

So that's about it. It took a while to do all this. Cutting and connecting the wires and such, but all in all not too hard, just time consuming. Enjoy!
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

WOW...Thats a lot of lights and you have way more patients than i had just wiring in the fraction of lights that i have compared to yours. Im sure pics dont do it justice.
    Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
    www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

you could of saved more time and wire by just grounding out the (-) to the chassis of the bike, instead of hooking all the ground wires together....but looks great man...nice work....im looking to doing this mod as well....when ever i got time

Comment

look great. is red legal in PA? i know in Ohio POPO will bust your chops for blue or red.

Comment

All you need now are a few reindeer and you ready to go.

HO HO HO HO.......

Tok
          Last edited by Tokalosh; 07-02-2008, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Looks great! I love my LED's, got 96 Blue leds on my bike.
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

hmm. I might have to go the drilled holes route for the rear tire area. I like what you did there.....

I wish I had thought about the quick connect clips. GREAT idea.

When I pull my bike down to put on the other 30 then I will have to redo some of the other lights. That is a winter project though. I am tired of spending the day on the thing outside in the parking lot (She only sees a garage in the winter at my parents house....)
              I am a Penn State fanatic.
              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Yeah, I was DIEING when i was doing this because i had to drive my car everywhere. IT looks awesome at night though. I love it!

Giftedwon, I believe Red is legal in PA. I didn't actually know it was legal to ride with them on till someone on here told me a few weeks ago. i read the Amendment that changed the law so it was legal to ride with them on, and there were no color restriction in there. I'm gonna ride with them on till i'm told otherwise!

Comment

yea I Also Put Some Led's In My Bike(blue
                    ) Them ******* Cops Have Giving Me 2 Tickets For Them, Now I Will Have To Pay The Fine And Take The Lights Off, Its Sucks Cause I Wouldnt Be So ****ed At The Cops, Bu One Of Em At A Fastfood Drive Threw Told Me They Were "fine By Me"

But Cool Stuff Love The Pics And How To
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ulshy55 View Post
                      Yeah, I was DIEING when i was doing this because i had to drive my car everywhere. IT looks awesome at night though. I love it!

Giftedwon, I believe Red is legal in PA. I didn't actually know it was legal to ride with them on till someone on here told me a few weeks ago. i read the Amendment that changed the law so it was legal to ride with them on, and there were no color restriction in there. I'm gonna ride with them on till i'm told otherwise!
                      That was me that pointed out the new law....

Watch it though as I have been stopped twice for my lights and I had to tell the cops the laws changed then sit there while they looked it up. Just remember House bill 901......

Comment

Thanks again soulpatch! I already printed that out and have it under my seat just in case i get pulled over!

Thanks for the comments guys

Comment

Originally posted by Ulshy55 View Post
                          Thanks again soulpatch! I already printed that out and have it under my seat just in case i get pulled over!

Thanks for the comments guys
                          like that will help when a @$$hole cop pulls you over, I will look up this 901 act
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acraze View Post
                            like that will help when a @$$hole cop pulls you over, I will look up this 901 act
                            Has helped me twice. Once that one cop knows he will not pull you over again. Takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                              Has helped me twice. Once that one cop knows he will not pull you over again. Takes time.
                              yea cops will eventually recognize you haha, naw im just a lil ticked off at the local pigs because two of them said it was ok to have blue led's..... but I get pulled over and the charge is having emergency light on a non emergency vehical, now i have to take em off and prolly pay a big fine for 2 tickets in 15 days lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X