X

Doesn't paint crack? Fuel Resistant Clear Coat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't paint crack? Fuel Resistant Clear Coat

I just got through reading the lengthy sticky about painting fairings. It was very informative. However, it goes against what other websites have discussed regarding cracking and the need for flex additive in the primer and paint. Is this not an issue?

I would also like to know where I can find fuel resistant clear coat in a can or in a pail. You can spend 8$ at O'reilly and buy a makeshift spray gun with CO2 propellant, so its not a huge obstacle for it to come in a quart pail. The tutorial simply says to take it to Maaco for the fuel resistant clear coat. Maaco can clear coat my bike when hell freezes over.

There has to be something out there that is resistant to gas and brake fluid. If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to listen. Thanks.

Most flex additives only keep the paint "flexible" about long enough to get the part on a car. I worked in a body shop for several years as a painter and body man. After about 6 months, if you painted something with flex it really wasn't much different that something painted without it.

there is my $0.02 worth. I am sure there are those that will disagree, just my observation.
    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Personally I would not waste my time(or money) putting flex agent in Kat fairings. At least for 98-up fairings I should say. They are stiff enough to not worry about them flexing. I have never had a pre 98 fairing in my hands to have any input with them, but I am sure they are kinda stiff as well compared to a GSXR fairing, which is extremely flimsy.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Yes, my fairings are rather stiff. Thats why I didn't know if it were an issue or not. The last time I rattle canned I used the Krylon for plastic and it worked well. However, I was going to graduate to dupli-color and didn't know if it would crack or not.

Comment

FYI....most paints today include a flex agent already....at least the quality ones. reason being is that you are seeing more plastic on cars these days, and they just do it that way now to make it more efficient, instead of having to add it when you need to do bumpers or stuff like that. now you just use the same paint for the whole job.

the biggest problem is not so much the paint cracking, as it is the flaking. this pertains to bc/cc. the sanding is so fine that it doesn't adhere that great. that is why when you paint a bike, it is always a good idea to use a courser grit on the backside of the edges of the fairings, and make sure you apply enough paint/clear to the edges. that is the most vulnerable part.
          Last edited by Mojoe; 06-01-2008, 10:36 PM.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thats a good tip, I didn't think of it that way. Using that method, the paint can wrap around the fairing and grab better hold.

Comment

There is absolutely no need for flex additive. I paint all day, everyday. Paint (BC/SS) is merely a polyester film. If it is "flexing" enough to crack the paint, the plastic part under the paint is toast as well.

Comment

Working...
              X