Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

$500 Project Kat - help save save a good bike from junkpile!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what line of parts stores do u have down there?
    99 YZF600R with 03 R6 fairing, headlights & mirrors, Sportech Blue Chrome Windscreen, D&D can,
    OES Frame sliders, MotoTeck smoked front turns, CBR 954rr Smoked Integrated Tail
    and 14T Front/49T Rear w/ DID X Ring Chain

1993 Zuki Katana 600 $500 project bike

Comment

We have advance auto parts and auto zone, both of which carry the gallon.
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

there are some of those in the minneapolis/st paul suburbs. gonna have to try and get down that way and check it out.
        99 YZF600R with 03 R6 fairing, headlights & mirrors, Sportech Blue Chrome Windscreen, D&D can,
        OES Frame sliders, MotoTeck smoked front turns, CBR 954rr Smoked Integrated Tail

Comment

I just love to see a project with pix!
          "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
            We have advance auto parts and auto zone, both of which carry the gallon.
            around here they have a 5gallon

Comment

To soak the carbs, should I just put them in a bucket of some sort with the carb cleaner in there?

And if I want to use the boiling water method, should I just put them in a similar container, and just pour the boiling water onto it? What exactly should I make sure that I remove, if it isn't obvious, when utilizing this method?

Thanks in advance.

Jose

Comment

The one gallon can will hold two carb bodies at one time if they are placed in there just right. I completely disassemble them. I think the diaphragm will get destroyed if you soak it.

I pull the top off, take the diaphragm out.
                Take the jets out.
                Take the bowl off.
                Take the float out.
                Take the needle out.
                I basically disassemble everything.

The gallon can has a basket that will hold the smaller parts for soaking. I then rinse and dry everything and reassemble.

If you are concerned about getting it back together right, take digital pictures of the entire carb bank when you pull it. Then take pictures each step of the way getting pics of linkage, etc.

If you go the boiling route, I would guess the following (but never done it.) You need a large stock pot. Disassemble them the same way, fill the pot with water, bring to a rolling boil and let it boil a while.
                -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

does anyone have a PRE manual? whats the float height supposed to be on the 93?

Comment

Pre 98 750 is like 13.5-15.5mm , or something like that ....... 14 is close enough to the middle I'm fairly certain . If they're close tyo that I'd call it a day .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

got her running fairly well yesterday. I took some 6mm set screws and tapped them into the idle jet post. Since no where had thos lil rubber plugs, and I dont think I would trust them anyways. Put her together and she started right up. There seems to be a small flat spot at about 4-6K and they she opens up. Not sure if its a rich or lean issue at this point. The PO had the AF screws set to 3.5 turns out, which explains the carbon build up on the valves. I turned em back down to 2.25 turns out, so I might bring her up or down to try and rid it of those flat spots.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalFusion
                        got her running fairly well yesterday. I took some 6mm set screws and tapped them into the idle jet post. Since no where had thos lil rubber plugs, and I dont think I would trust them anyways.
                        Whoa whoa whoa , so in place of those rubber plugs (which aren't hard top find online or very pricey , BTW) , you maybe FUBAR'ed the aluminum casting of the carbs ?

Comment

no,i made a solution to a problem. i'd like to hear your explaination as to why your first conclusion is FUBAR'ed the castings? what, so I cant even put back some crappy tiny lil plugs???

Comment

Did you not just say you screwed some bolts in there ? If that's the case , did you mar the aluminum where the plugs go ? If you did , I'd say FUBAR .
                            I've heard/read PLENTY of people saying they tried to "engineer" a soloution to that problem , and it NEVER worked well . Those plugs ain't that expensive , though ....

Comment

I had the carbs tore down, I tapped them out and then recleaned to make sure there were no metal shavings from tapping. Then I put a 6mm set screw in. They are the deals that basicly look like threaded bar stock, but have an allen head in the top. They are not marred, just threaded. It works extremely well with no leaks, and IMO is a much better solution to cap the idle jets than some lil rubber plugs.

Comment

Not the direction I woulda went , but hey , good luck with that . I recently replaced those caps with OEM parts . They're cheap , and the caps are SNUG when brand new . No worries about them popping out on their own . I just don't much like the idea od tapping the carb body for anything unless it's ALREADY FUBAR .

Comment

Working...
                                X