X

clear coat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear coat

Last summer I painted the Kat Sun Burst Orange but I never put clear coat over it. Now I am waiting on a Solo Cawl from Jim so it needs to be painted so I figure that I will start the clear coat. Just wondering should I buy clear coat out of a spray can at the local automotive store or should I go to NAPA and get a can to run throught the air gun (that is the way I painted it in the summer)? How many coats should I apply?

First, your clearcoat type needs to be compatible with the paint underneath, at least in theory (not sure how true that would be after the base paint cured for a year; definitely true for freshly flashed paint). Personally, I'd use a fuel-/oil-resistance grade of clearcoat (a bit more expensive, but worth it in the long run, IMHO).

You may also want to take Nu-Finish 2000 to your existing paint, which (according to the MSDS info) contains light petrol compounds designed to reliquify the very top layer of your paint to reseal it, before painting with the clearcoat. If you've waxed your paint job at any point, that wax (and anything else on the paint) will need to come off before you coat it.

As for spraying, if you have an air sprayer, use it; you'll get better results in general.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You would be better off to just re spray the whole thing. You would have to sand it for the clear so why not just shoot a good coat of color first?
      here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
      http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Around here, local paint shops want a couple of hundred dollars to paint my cowl.
        That sounds like alot but, I purchased color match paint, $30.00. Can of clear, $10.99. Black primer/filler, $ 8.99 plus some other materials, I spent over $65.00. To have a professional do it stands to reason that his time, likely an additional couple of hours, would run the cost to around $200.00.

The job I did turned out quite well, except the the clear coat is a bit rough. I'm not confident enough to wet sand the clear 'cause I don't want to ruin the job I've done so far.

Any hints?
        "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002

The job I did turned out quite well, except the the clear coat is a bit rough. I'm not confident enough to wet sand the clear 'cause I don't want to ruin the job I've done so far.

Any hints?
          3M rubbing compound works really well. If you can't find it up your way, i can always send you my bottle if you promise to return it. You don't really use a lot, and it is easy to do, basically take a shop rag, and wipe it down really well with the stuff, and then wash the peice and wax it. Just did it with my bike and it looks like glass!
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Lou, you got your painting set up ready here in the south yet? I got some pieces in-bound that I'd rather send to you than ship all the way to the NE USA (EmpireGP does most of my painting).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey Lou, that's great.
              I'm always reluctant to do finish work.

BTW, I had the whole article about painting printed and bound for reference purposes.
              My eight year old son was quite entriqued with the pictures. Particularly, Harry Potter.

Thanks for the advise.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Lou, you got your painting set up ready here in the south yet? I got some pieces in-bound that I'd rather send to you than ship all the way to the NE USA (EmpireGP does most of my painting).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Not yet, I am planning on building a garage within a garage. Currently, our garage is basically a huge steel work shed, no insulation. I plan on building insulated and airconditiond shop within it. I will also have to install a de-humidifier so i can paint year round. Once i get all that done, I will be ready to paint. but i gota have money to build all that stuff, and dinero sure seems to be coming slow lately.

What are you looking at having painted? And what kinda timeline are you looing at as for receiving the parts, and needing them back?
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                  Hey Lou, that's great.
                  I'm always reluctant to do finish work.

BTW, I had the whole article about painting printed and bound for reference purposes.
                  My eight year old son was quite entriqued with the pictures. Particularly, Harry Potter.

Thanks for the advise.
                  Don't be hate'n on Harry

That rubbing compound is real easy to do. Like i said, rub it on with a shop rag, and just keep rubbing till the finish starts getting really glass like, and you can see the reflection in it. after you are done with everything, wash it, and wax it and you are good to go
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                    What are you looking at having painted? And what kinda timeline are you looing at as for receiving the parts, and needing them back?
                    Well, I have a couple things in the air. First is a 04 rear fairing (currently white -- want '01 Kat 600 Blue instead) that I want to slap on my bike to replace the older bumble-bee tail.

The second project is still up in the air, but if it goes through, I'll have 8 to 20 kats to get painted at the same time, all the same color scheme, then either hand-sprayed air-brush work or custom-printed decals. I don't want to divulge anything further until I know more...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

For the 8 - 20 kats, is that the full body you are talking about needed painted, and would the plastics be new or used? (trying to figure out prep work required and what not)
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                        For the 8 - 20 kats, is that the full body you are talking about needed painted, and would the plastics be new or used? (trying to figure out prep work required and what not)
                        I need to move this to PM's...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What are you doin' Cyber.

Starting your own FLA. Stunt team?

Comment

Working...
                          X