X

Hand Guards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Guards

I will continue to commute through the winter and I have an issue with my hands. I have very small hands so big aggressive winter gloves leave me with control issues. Fooling around a bit I was able build some rough guards on my own. They work but can't find a way to not make them look like giant metal robot shaped cone hands.

So now that I know they work does anyone know what I could use for guards on my kat?

Last year I didn't have this problem because of the homemade heated grips but would rather not have to use them again... Ever

the hardest part, I think, is finding ones that will fit and mount on the inside of the stock clip ons.
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I have been thinking about this same thing. I just found some foam handguards from Cabela,'s. They are shown as atv / mc handguards. These handguards use one velcro strap to attatch. I know this sounds cheesy but I put these on my Kat and I think hey are going to work well. These handguards are easy to put on andtake off and at full lock they bend easily when they get near the fairing or windscreen. I think at speed they will touch the levers but will not interfere with the lever usage. I am using them for wind protection only. One of the best things is they were on sale. I got them for just over $6.00 and also had a code for free shipping. I just removed my tank and have to order a choke cable so I will not get a good road test until sometime in January. I will take a picture later and post though.

Comment

Stearns foam handguards

Here are some pics of the handguards from Cabela's. Even if they end up not working to well they were only 6 bucks shipped to me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Update on foam handguards. I finally got to try them out. Throttle side works great. The master cylinder creates a place for the handguard to rest against and stays off your hand. The clutch side is another story, around 50-60 mph the wind pushes it against the clutch lever. The clutch lever moves through the free play and is hard against your hand so I took them off. I do have an idea to make something that will hold it out away so we will see if I get around to playing with it.

Comment

shit, for $6 you cant really go wrong

Comment

try these [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I don't think that style is what I am looking for on my Kat but I think I may do that on my dirt bike. Looking at your pic does give me an idea on how to make my foam guards work though. Do you have pics from rider view to see how you mounted those?

Comment

see if this helps [IMG][/IMG] i used dirt bar brace clamps and the bar ends to hold 1" aluminum flat stock ,and i think 1/4 x 3/8 to make the bracket from the bar to the flat stock ,just any thing i could get for free or had lying around ,on the bandit forums they use the V strom gaurds

Comment

Thanks for the info. I would love to try the v strom guards but am on the cheap for a while. I think my $6 foam guards rigged up with a brace like you made would be easy enough to put together and easy to take on and off between old and warm riding seasons.

Comment

Now they work!!!

So I wanted to go for a ride but wind gusts over 50mph so I got the handguards figured out. I took ratana 7fiddy's idea and made some aluminum braces for the foam handguards to rest against in the wind. I made them so at full lock nothing touches the fairing. Since the handguards are stiff foam they bend when they contact the windscreen so I get full use of steering.
                      In one of the pics you can see my left side training wheel for when it's icy out.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I just paint the aluminum flat black and it wouldnt be as noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                          I just paint the aluminum flat black and it wouldnt be as noticeable.
                          I agree. I will end up doing that. To remove the aluminum guards is just the bar end and one other bolt so they come off real easy. The actual handguard is held on by one velcro strap toward the triple clamp side. I may end up bolting the foam guards to the brace but at this time I like the idea of being able to take off the foam guards on the side of the road in 30 seconds.

Comment

I agree

Comment

UPDATE. Just finished about 100 miles and the hand guards worked great! Temps ranged from upper 30's tto mid 40's. The first 30 miles or so I wore my summer gloves it was cool but not bad. Got to 60 - 70 mph and was great. Took it up to 100 real quick and no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X