No announcement yet.
X

Newb Mechanic's Dumbest Hits

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one of the other techs i work with was working on an older 2-smoke sea-doo and he had just finished cleaning the carbs on it, and then tried firing it up. it ran for a few seconds then died, then it wouldn't run at all. he tried playing with the mixture screws a bit, but still nothing. after about an hour of cursing and taking the carbs off again to recheck everything, he finally calls me over for help. i walk over and notice something right away. So i ask him "was the petcock turned 'off' this whole time?"

lessons he learned
    1)don't forget the obvious. a lot of the time its the simplest things
    2)and sometimes you need a second set of eyes to help notice something you were to frustrated to see
    Last edited by boomer_95; 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM.
    if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
      So i ask him "was the petcock turned 'off' this whole time?"
      Do you realize the shit storm you just started? For the next week or so we'll be telling people in the mechanics 101 forum "there is no off".

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Do you realize the shit storm you just started? For the next week or so we'll be telling people in the mechanics 101 forum "there is no off".
        on Kats no there isn't unless the vacuum line isn't hooked up

maybe i should bold SEA-DOO!

Comment

wait... which way do I turn it for off?

Comment

Straight up. If it won't go that direction, I recommend a set of channel locks. Just try until you hear a snap.

**THAT'S A JOKE, DO NOT DO THAT!

Comment

I can't get the petcock on my 1100 to turn off and there's no knob to grab with the channel locks. Should I disconnect San Francisco from the vacuum line?
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                I can't get the petcock on my 1100 to turn off and there's no knob to grab with the channel locks. Should I disconnect San Francisco from the vacuum line?
                Only if it's attached to the Ottawa sensor......just look right below the hot air box. Ya can't miss it.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Is that near the kanuter valve?

But why would you need an Ottawa sensor? Wouldn't you just listen for the hockey fans?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

OK i guess I'll have to clear this up then since i started it... you have to disconnect the San Fransisco from the vacuum line, and turn the flux capacitor knob down to 25 kigga-giggles, or until you hear a 'snap' like arsenic said. then with a left hand screwdriver, remove the wobble shaft, and your petcock is now in the 'off' position

its all right there in the service manual, chapter 12 section 35 paragraph 3
                    Last edited by boomer_95; 02-05-2013, 07:04 AM.

Comment

25 kigga-giggles
                      I'm outa here

Comment

On my 83 GS750 the lead weights in the mirrors were rattling. Being too cheap to buy new ones I drilled a small hole in the bottom and proceeded to fill it with that foam crap they use for insulation. The mirror blew up covering me the walls and anything within 10 feet of me with foam. I'm not so cheap anymore....
                        Old Age and Treachery Will Beat Youth and Skill Every Time

Comment

Doh!

That's a common fix for the mirrors on the GSX1100G. Trick is to just put in a little foam at a time and wait for it to finish expanding before adding more.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I would almost pay to see that!
                            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

mine is the dumbest of all im afraid.. i couldnt figure out how to get the seat off. .
                              im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

The deciding factor if that's dumb or not would be...how long did it take you to find it

If you found it under couple minutes I say that's just a brain fart
                                Last edited by crazycraven420; 02-09-2013, 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                                94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                                X