X

96 Katana 750f engine swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Katana 750f engine swap

I have a 96 katana 750f that i need to replace the motor in. I really just want to get it back on the road. My question is can i swap out to an earlier year with out to may problems. I would even be willing to go to a 600. Like i said just wanting it back on the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Originally posted by KAT75076 View Post
    I have a 96 katana 750f that i need to replace the motor in. I really just want to get it back on the road. My question is can i swap out to an earlier year with out to may problems. I would even be willing to go to a 600. Like i said just wanting it back on the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Pretty much any 600 or 750 Kat motor, gsxr oil cooled motors, bandit oil cooled motors will fit right in with very minimal additional work if any. Some of of the 1100/1200 oil cooled motors as well, with some minimal mods.

I recently swapped a 600 post engine into a pre... only needed to swap the alternator and carb boots between them to make it fit right in.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Motor swap

Is there a certain year motor that you would recommend? Also, I have looked at some newer motors and it looks like the oil lines are in a different location. Will this be a problem during the swap? Will the electronics on a newer motor plug in as well ? Thanks!!

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I have a 96 750 that I'm swapping with a 04 750 If I can get the instrument cluster to fit I'll use the the 04 wiring, carbs-everything off the 04 The engine bolts right up

Comment

The instrument cluster is the problem. you have retro fit it. I just haven't figured it out yet

Comment

Many people have swapped the instrument clusters. PM ThAzkat, he has done it numerous times. I believe there is a write up on the conversion floating around somewhere.
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Nice thread to remember as i was thinking about a swap in the future.
                1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Comment

OK, probably a silly question but... Why change the instrument cluster? You're not swapping forks/wheels so you'll still have you speedo drive cable and a tach is a tach is a tach. Just swap the wiring connector coming from the harness to match your pre cluster. If you want the electronic speedo then the post engine has the speed sensor for it but I wouldn't think the instrument cluster is a have-to-have item at all. Take your pick or just live with the pre cluster until you get around to swapping it out.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

ok Im looking at a 06 600f engine to swap into a 96 750f. the 06 engine doe not have the carbs or alternator. Will I need to get new carbs and alternator to complete this swap ? also is there any other electrical problems that might exist ? or exhaust clearance problems ? I would appreciate the help.. thank you
                    Last edited by KAT75076; 02-21-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Why would you put a 600 in to replace a 750? What part of Texas are you from? If all goes well this weekend I should have a complete 04 750 set up for sale within the next few weeks to month. I don't know how soon you are needing the engine....
                      '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Engine Swap 06 600f into 96 750f

ok Im looking at a 06 600f engine to swap into a 96 750f. the 06 engine doe not have the carbs or alternator. Will I need to get new carbs and alternator to complete this swap ? also is there any other electrical problems that might exist ? or exhaust clearance problems ? I would appreciate the help.. thank you

ROB845,
                        I know it sounds crazy, but i just want to get it back on the road. I'm in tyler texas. Do you have a price in mind on your 04 750 setup ? mileage etc..
                        Last edited by KAT75076; 02-23-2011, 11:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Tyler is a small haul from Houston. Do you currently have your old alternator? I don't have a set price as of yet because I was waiting to pick up the new setup before I really worried about pricing and selling. But, minus the few parts I will need for the swap I will have everything from the carbs to the muffler for sale...
                          '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by rob845 View Post
                            Tyler is a small haul from Houston. Do you currently have your old alternator? I don't have a set price as of yet because I was waiting to pick up the new setup before I really worried about pricing and selling. But, minus the few parts I will need for the swap I will have everything from the carbs to the muffler for sale...

Yes i have the alternator and carbs off my original motor. My bike is complete, so basically i just need the motor. I would definitely be interested in your motor if the price is right.. I'm workin on a budget like everybody else.. Do you know if i would need to change any of my wiring to match your motor ? I think my carbs should work as well, but I'm not sure ? Your motor is a 750f right ? oil cooled ? Thank you !!

Comment

yup its a 04 750. Right now it has about 5400 miles. I am sure that I have read some people here doing swaps from pre to post engines.

Comment

Working...
                              X