X

Leather... hmmmmm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather... hmmmmm

I've come to realize that leather jackets offers the best protection, but I want a 4 season jacket. Leather is too warm for hot weather, right? And not warm enough for cold (30s) weather, right?

Any other suggestions? I LOVE my Fieldsheer TourTemp jacket, but the main front zipper just broke the other day I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could find one!

I'm pretty picky in what I'm looking for (blue, very little black and none on shoulders because that makes hot summer days hotter in the sun; elbow, shoulder, and back armor/padding); waterproof; strong material (e.g., 1,000 denier carbolex, but maybe 600D would be okay?); vents for hot weather; winter lining; and reflective material.

I wear my leathers all season, regular in spring and fall, perforated leather once it warms up. In cold weather throw a light sweater or long sleeve shirt on and your good to go.

You get used to it I guess, I found my perforated jacket felt like I was wearing a parachute with all the vents open in the summer, and IMHO at a stop under direct sun textile(solid not mesh) is just as hot as leather.
    Kyle

Comment

Leather will work good in the cold with an insulation layer or two under it. As for the really hot weather, I wear a mesh jacket. Not as much protection as leather but it's a compromise I live with.
      Black IS the fastest color!

Comment

Ok, I guess you've got me about 90% convinced now, but what about rain? I read once that water compromises the strength/integrity of leather gloves. I could get cheap rain gear if I'm expecting to ride in the rain, but if I get caught in it by accident I don't want my leathers to be less protective in the event of a crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
          Ok, I guess you've got me about 90% convinced now, but what about rain? I read once that water compromises the strength/integrity of leather gloves. I could get cheap rain gear if I'm expecting to ride in the rain, but if I get caught in it by accident I don't want my leathers to be less protective in the event of a crash.
          I've used only leather or years...

I've been swimming in my leathers (that was quite the story... ), live in an area where it's pretty common that 1 in 3 rides will mean I meet rain, and have seen no issues at all with leather. There are several things to keep in mind...

Water proof sprays help alot, but won't make you not get wet. It will help prevent the leather from soaking up the water.

Make sure the leathers are able to properly dry and not let mold/fungus build up because they stayed wet.

Leather treatments and cleaning options abound... simple cleaning and care works wonders.

The prior stated comments on layers under the lethers for winter, perforated for summer, so on... are spot on. It's no problem at all for me to wear them year round. If your talking extream weather conditions that may differ, but most US areas would be fine with basic adjustments.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

All leather all the time.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
            X