X

(yet another) painting question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (yet another) painting question

In Lou's tutorial, he mentions that if you want to take the tank down to the metal, its a PITA. Is there another way to do it? I always just kinda assumed before priming and reapainting you wanted to have a brand new shiny metal surface.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a ton
    Crack

The best primer you will ever find is the paint that is already there. No sense is stripping it unless you are just a glutton for punishment. Sand off the clear coat and get down into the color good, that's all the farther you need to go.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Unless you have rust or another compelling reason never go all the way to bare metal.
      "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Comment

to add to Jim's comment, You really only need to get past the clearcoat.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I have to go to the metal to fix that damn dent

I hate dents.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

i would only go down the metal in the area of the dent. make your repairs prime it and wet sand it with the rest of the tank. A good practice to identify high/low spots is to prime it with 1 color (grey) and lightly mist prime it with a secondary color (red) that way when you wet sand it, the high spots wil be easily spotted. Caution dont spray a heavy coat of your secondary primer, it is not needed and will only increase your sanding time. I would use a 1000 grit or higher for your final wet sand.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
            X