X

Clear Coat that is gas and chip resistant

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Coat that is gas and chip resistant

Any advice on a clear coat that is gas and chip resistant that can be used with Dupli-Color? any advice/recommendations/tips on clear coats in general?

Dupli-Color Clearcoat would be my choice. It's a good idea to stick with the same brand clearcoat and paint since they were designed to work together. My experience with Dupli-color has been very good and once dried and cured it is very resistant to fuel and chips.
    You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Comment

+1 on using the matching brand of clear coat to whatever paint you used. Check with the manufacturer as to what grades of clearcoats they offer (most offer at least two -- one specifically for fuel resistance and another for general use).

If you used ColorRite's paint, do yourself a huge favor and use their hih-end clear with a proper sprayer (even a small airbrush set-up will work), rather than with their dual-can rattle-can set-up. I suffered some very bad results with the dual-rattle can system and wish I had plonked down $20 to $50 for a proper airbrush set-up through HarborFreight or one of the other vendors instead.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

dupli-color clearcoat is not a good idea for the tank. I have it on mine and I need to be very carefull everytime I fill my tank cuz if a drop of fuel gets into the paint you have to wet sand and buff again.

Comment

a proper two part automotive clear and cheap spray gun is far better then spray paint clears. I have personally never found a basic clear coat in a rattle can that is resistant to fuel.

POR15 makes a clear top coat that works decent as well, but again it's not a spray paint.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous
            a proper two part automotive clear and cheap spray gun is far better then spray paint clears. I have personally never found a basic clear coat in a rattle can that is resistant to fuel.
            +1

regualr acrylic enamal is quite fuel resistant. it's what you find on most cars, including the section right below the gas filler.....and folks spill gas there alot more often than folks do on a bike tank. I say that because if you handle the pistol like you should, you should not spill a drop. I never spill any.
            and like hardly stated, there is not much available in a rattle can that is better than the REAL stuff.

FYI....do you know why the stuff in a rattle can is inferior? cuz it spends too much time in transport, in a stock room, and on shelves. and because of this, it is mixed differently so that it does not go hard in the can. this result in a less durable finish because it lack adequate hardner. 99.9% of all rattle can jobs you can push your thumbnail into the clear and leave a mark. try that on a car. the other .01% that you can not do this too have a recipe that results in the clear being too hard, which is usually evident with it appearing a bit milky color, and chips too easily.

if you are going to go the rattle can way, do yourself a favor and cough up the extra money by visiting an auto paint supply store and ask them to mix you up a rattle can of acrylic clear enamal. it goes on easier, cures like it's supposed to, and lasts like it should.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

They can mix up clear and stick it in a rattle can for you ? NEAT !
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

paint

Originally posted by md86
                They can mix up clear and stick it in a rattle can for you ? NEAT !
                you can get any color under the sun done as well, now you have an option for your ride.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

oh wow. why did i EVER use spray paint off the shelf? is it expensive to get a can prepared for you? ....cause its gunna take a few cans.

Comment

Originally posted by mwysienski
                    oh wow. why did i EVER use spray paint off the shelf? is it expensive to get a can prepared for you? ....cause its gunna take a few cans.
                    I notice you live in NJ. The Garfield NAPA store mixes duplicolor onsite. They will ship it to local stores for you. You can call your local NAPA and check.

Comment

You can also get an aerosol can from O'reilly that you can mix 2 part and add it yourself. Oh and x2 on the No Go for the regular rattle can. Spend the extra 40 or so, even putting the nice clear over rattle can looks much better than rattle clear...

Comment

ok thanks. i gotta check that out.

Comment

my local paint supply will also mix and put it in a can, they can even color sample your other pait for a exact match to help with paint that might be faded last time i went it was about $16 a can

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                            +1

regualr acrylic enamal is quite fuel resistant. it's what you find on most cars,

Just a side note.....almost all cars today are Base Coat/Clear Coat Urethanes now..... Some of the solid colors are still A.E.

Comment

Working...
                            X