X

Cold start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold start

Alright well for me being the newb I am...
    just curious about the initial fire up

When I first fire her up the choke is on and she takes a few secs. but makes her way up to 3000rpms.
    Now how long should I let her warm up in this position?
    What signs will she give me that shes ready to ride?
    Or
    When should I shut the choke off?

Start with as little choke as possible (always took full choke for my 93), once it catches you choke down to about 2k rpms for a few (read 2 or 3) minutes, start decreasing the choke as much as you can without killing the engine until you can use your throttle hand to keep the revs at 2k without the choke, do that for another minute, gear up, and git goin'
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Much will depend on ambient temps at time of start. The times noted above seem excessive to me, but my ambient temps in SOCAL may be higher than yours. My routine from start to rollaway is under a minute and consists of the following on a stock 2000 Kat 600.

Full choke lever, start engine

When RPM's start to climb rapidly above 2000, decrease choke to maintain at 2000 (+/-)

After less than 30 seconds fully remove choke, check for good throttle response off idle, and go. Note that idle will not be at normal speed, but as long as you're not stumbling off idle, away you go.

If you are running the choke for several minutes, and you REALLY need to run it that long, I'd be looking into getting some carb or jetting work done, that ain't right, and shouldn't be necesary.
      2000 Katana 600, Hooligan Bike
      2005 FJR 1300 ABS
      2001 Ninja 500 Hooligan Bike

When all ya got is hammers, everything looks like a nail - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by 2K Katrider View Post
        The times noted above seem excessive to me, but my ambient temps in SOCAL may be higher than yours.
        This is true. Mine also seemed to take a lot longer to warm up than most others (and those times I posted are about 25% shorter than what I actually had to do to mine)

Ran great though so hey
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

nice guys thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by 2K Katrider View Post
            Much will depend on ambient temps at time of start. The times noted above seem excessive to me, but my ambient temps in SOCAL may be higher than yours. My routine from start to rollaway is under a minute and consists of the following on a stock 2000 Kat 600.

Full choke lever, start engine

When RPM's start to climb rapidly above 2000, decrease choke to maintain at 2000 (+/-)

After less than 30 seconds fully remove choke, check for good throttle response off idle, and go. Note that idle will not be at normal speed, but as long as you're not stumbling off idle, away you go.

If you are running the choke for several minutes, and you REALLY need to run it that long, I'd be looking into getting some carb or jetting work done, that ain't right, and shouldn't be necesary.
            When the ambient temps here are around the average spring temps in CA... (read, our summers) then I almost don't need choke... bupm start and turn it off.

When things start cooling off (avg temp under 50) then it takes alot longer...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What if it's hard to start cold & the choke seems to have no effect at all? I just have to keep hitting the starter until it keeps running. I've tried feathering the throttle as well as half-open & wide-open throttle starting, but that doesn't help either. Starts just fine when warm without any choke.
              '07 Yamaha FJR1300
              '05 Katana 600

Comment

I replaced the plunger seals and now I don't have starting problems anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                  I replaced the plunger seals and now I don't have starting problems anymore.
                  'Scuze the noob .... plunger seals?
                  '07 Yamaha FJR1300
                  '05 Katana 600

Comment

Seals that are a part of the choke system. A plunger is a brass piece that slides and opens and closes holes in your choke system. Got a manual???

Comment

Just a service manual I downloaded last night. I did a search in the PDF for "choke", but it came back with nothing. Is that the manual you're referring to?
                      '07 Yamaha FJR1300
                      '05 Katana 600

Comment

Any manual that has pic's. I have a Haynes manual. Carb's 101 may have some pictures of what I am talking about.

Comment

Working...
                        X