X

Clutch Preference

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Preference

Yes i did some seaching but have not yielded much from it, im curious as to what clutch you may have used in your Kat, mine slips when the engine is not fully warmed or when i get on it after 5-6k but any other time i can crack the throttle for a sec and it wont slip at all.

Just curious as to some testimonials, thanks

Fife

your clutch slips cause you need a new one, not cause you have a bad one

Comment

Cheapest thing first is to check the adjustment.

If still needed then OEM or Barnett. If I remember correctly EBC does not make clutch plates for the Kat.

At the time I had Barnett, their springs were significantly stiffer. But it kept my left hand in top shape for my other hobby.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

yes EBC does make a clutch kit, but you don't need anything more then OEM, EVER

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          yes EBC does make a clutch kit, but you don't need anything more then OEM, EVER
          Maybe it was DP then.

I only remembered that a brake manufacture did not make the clutch plates.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I don't know if EBC makes a clutch kit for ALL Katana's (and frankly, I don't care) but blazerzr2 has one on his pre 98 750.

Comment

I just did the clutch on mine - got all new OEM springs, plates and clutches... less than a 100$ i think too...

You did check to make sure it is being released all the way right? Come to find out (it needed them anyways since the idiot before me just tried to drive it with it slipping) but mine still slipped after the changeout... Wasn't happy, but come to find out there was a 3rd adjustemnt i didnt realize existed under the rubber gromet on the sprocket cover... Adjusted that, and it's been perfect since....

Comment

Oe plates work just as well as any.

keep in mind clutch basket notching is the #2 cause of a clutch starting to slip. be sure to check the basket fingers for notches and groves worn into them. these grove will catch the plates and prevent them from sliding smoothly between the fingers. this can cause plates to start to slip and can also make clutch pull at the lever much harder.
                If the basket it worn the fingers will need to be VERY CAREFULLY filed to remove the notches or machined to remove them. doing this will allow a bit more clutch chatter at idle but will not hurt the performance at all. But when filing the fingers it is very important to keep the edge at a 90 degree just like it was originally so the tabs have a flat surface to sit against.

Unless you are racing I would not go with anything harder compound clutch plates as they tend to wear out the clutch hub and pressure plate much faster.
                depending on the year of your bike you can go with the OE set up and use the judder spring and 1 oddball skinny plate (98+ bikes).
                personally I emilinate this judder spring set up on my bike and most customers bikes if they want a stronger clutch. The skinny plate and the judder spring that fits inside it are the weak link in the clutch system because there is less contact surface and is almost always the plate that will start to glaze first. I toss them out and just replace these with a standard clutch plate like all the rest.

FWIW use a good synthetic like Amsoil or other pure synthetic and the clutch will last 3X longer under the the harshest conditions and will greatly reduce the notching of the clutch basket
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-06-2009, 11:55 AM.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  Oe plates work just as well as any.

keep in mind clutch basket notching is the #2 cause of a clutch starting to slip. be sure to check the basket fingers for notches and groves worn into them. these grove will catch the plates and prevent them from sliding smoothly between the fingers. this can cause plates to start to slip and can also make clutch pull at the lever much harder.
                  If the basket it worn the fingers will need to be VERY CAREFULLY filed to remove the notches or machined to remove them. doing this will allow a bit more clutch chatter at idle but will not hurt the performance at all. But when filing the fingers it is very important to keep the edge at a 90 degree just like it was originally so the tabs have a flat surface to sit against.

Unless you are racing I would not go with anything harder compound clutch plates as they tend to wear out the clutch hub and pressure plate much faster.
                  depending on the year of your bike you can go with the OE set up and use the judder spring and 1 oddball skinny plate (98+ bikes).
                  personally I emilinate this judder spring set up on my bike and most customers bikes if they want a stronger clutch. The skinny plate and the judder spring that fits inside it are the weak link in the clutch system because there is less contact surface and is almost always the plate that will start to glaze first. I toss them out and just replace these with a standard clutch plate like all the rest.

FWIW use a good synthetic like Amsoil or other pure synthetic and the clutch will last 3X longer under the the harshest conditions and will greatly reduce the notching of the clutch basket
                  when you say standard clutch plate to replace the judder do you mean a friction plate and how would you put that in-against another friction plate?

Comment

Did you guys order them from a site or the dealership

Fife

Comment

Originally posted by cleankat96 View Post
                      when you say standard clutch plate to replace the judder do you mean a friction plate and how would you put that in-against another friction plate?
                      there are 7 normal friction plates and one odd ball with the judder spring and seat

you simply replace the odd ball plate and spring/seat with a standard friction plate like all the rest, so you have 8 friction plates all the same.
                      you never put two friction plates together.

this will give you a set up like the pre 98 bikes with no judder springs
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

there are 7 normal friction plates and one odd ball with the judder spring and seat

you simply replace the odd ball plate and spring/seat with a standard friction plate like all the rest, so you have 8 friction plates all the same.
                        you never put two friction plates together.

do the pre 98s have a judder spring?

Comment

NO

Last edited by arsenic; 01-10-2009, 03:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

When you do this, do you use the small ring against the clutch center? This may be the spring seat. My clutch had 8 normal clutch plates, but it did have this part also.

Thanks

Comment

The suzuki place here wants $243 for the kit.

Fife

And why does EBC sell the plates and the springs separate, why is there not a kit?
                              Last edited by Idrivetoys; 01-18-2009, 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X