Electrical issue (partially resolved)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical issue (partially resolved)

Hi there,

The 01 Kat 600 I recently bought only had 1 headlight working when I got it. I was about to buy a new bulb for it when I noticed the connector was unplugged from the headlight. After plugging it in, both worked on low and high beam, so I thought it was all set.

About a week later, i went to take the bike out for a ride at night and realized neither headlight was working on high or low beam.

I made sure the connections were good behind the headlights, took off the seat and checked the fuse box. There is a high beam fuse and a low beam fuse. Both fuses are ok. The console is lit and the other lights on the bike including blinkers work fine. There is a small light above the headlights that is lit up--not sure what that's for. Just cosmetic?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can suggest what I should check next. My gut tells me it is either a bad wire somewhere that is going to be a b**** to track down or perhaps the high/low headlight switch on the handlebars has gone bad.

As a side note, I recently bought a new right main fairing off ebay and installed that onto the bike. Is there any connector that runs on that side of the bike that I may have not have been reconnected? I did notice a connector on that side that doesn't appear to be plugged into anything, but honestly can't remember if I unplugged something there or not--I don't believe I did though.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can check next?
    Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in their shoes...
    Then when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    -----
    2001 Katana 600

The high-lo beam switch is the place to start. Open the pod, clean it out with electrical spray cleaner and then check for continuity with an ohm-meter (multi-meter set to ohms).

If that isn't the issue, pull the bulbs and check the wattage -- should be 55/60 watts (as imprinted in the metal around the base); significantly higher and you might have fried the wires.

The third eye above the headlights is a running/parking light. It stays illuminated in "Park" as well as in "ON"

And, yes, unless you have a California model, there will be dead-end connectors (these connectors connect to the thermal sensor and after-run fan on the California model).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You're the best. Thanks for the info. I haven't had time to spend on it yet, but will start with your suggestions.
      -----
      2001 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        The high-lo beam switch is the place to start. Open the pod, clean it out with electrical spray cleaner and then check for continuity with an ohm-meter (multi-meter set to ohms).

If that isn't the issue, pull the bulbs and check the wattage -- should be 55/60 watts (as imprinted in the metal around the base); significantly higher and you might have fried the wires.

The third eye above the headlights is a running/parking light. It stays illuminated in "Park" as well as in "ON"

And, yes, unless you have a California model, there will be dead-end connectors (these connectors connect to the thermal sensor and after-run fan on the California model).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        that is what happend to me

Comment

I decided today would be "work on my bike" day and just took off the fairings. I plan to change the air filter, plugs, oil & oil filter while I'm at it.

I bought a cheap meter and checked the connectors that headlamps plug into: nada. no juice. Sooo, I decided at that point to double check the fuses. None of them are blown and everything looks fine. I replaced them anyway, just in case.

Now, the thing that isn't making sense to me is: There are 5 fuses in fuse box--2 of which are for the headlights: 1 for low beam, 1 for high. The sockets the other 3 fuses plug in to are hot, but the high and low beam circuits are dead, even at the fuse box. What does it mean if I'm not getting current at the fuse box for high & low beams? You can't get much closer to the battery

I'm going to try to figure out how to take apart the high/low beam switch on the handlebar I guess while I'm waiting to see if anyone knows the answer to this one. I'll also try to figure out the electrical schematic in the manual.
          -----
          2001 Katana 600

Comment

anyone?
            -----
            2001 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by source
              I'm going to try to figure out how to take apart the high/low beam switch on the handlebar I guess while I'm waiting to see if anyone knows the answer to this one. I'll also try to figure out the electrical schematic in the manual.
              No power to the high/low switch on the handlebars either, which isn't surprising considering there is no power for those 2 fuses.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do next if there is no power on that circuit for the headlights at the fuse box, headlight connectors & high/low switch?
              -----
              2001 Katana 600

Comment

Are both sides of the fuse dead?
                98 Integra GSR
                96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

Originally posted by awsnap
                  Are both sides of the fuse dead?
                  Yes, the 2 fuse slots (high & low beams) both do not light up my tester on either side, but the other 3 fuse slots in the box do on one of the sides.

I tried looking at a schematic for the wiring on the bike, but a picture of a plate of spaghetti would make more sense to me

P.S. One of the clowns who owned the bike before me changed the rear tail light to a custom one, put on custom rear blinkers and a custom led for the non-existing plate bracket (rear fender was removed) so I suppose it is possible when that custom wiring job was done, something was disturbed?
                  -----
                  2001 Katana 600

Comment

Oh I'd say that HIGHLY possible. I'm trying to find the 98+ schem in the manual
                    98 Integra GSR
                    96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

OK, wierd question I know, but does your high beam indicator work? And do you know what 'model' you have? E-??
                      98 Integra GSR
                      96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

E-03, NM. Unless you have a Cali model....
                        98 Integra GSR
                        96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

I think I have it though, give me a minute. Have you had any other odd or sporadic things going on?
                          98 Integra GSR
                          96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

double post
                            98 Integra GSR
                            96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

OK got it. Check out the modified/idiotized schematic. I painted the wire section in question or being held suspect in orange. I would say that it's probably not in one of the harness connectors since you didn't say anything else was going on. I would say that it's in the loopback section at the top there, an orange with red striped wire, (which should be at a connector coming off the right side controls) or possibly you pinched a wire somehow (probably the yellow with white stripe) when you put the new fairing on, but that wire runs to the other handle bar so I don't see how you might have done that. As far as the rear lighting affecting it, after looking at the schematic, they would have to be a MAJOR, MAJOR spaz to do anything like that.
                              Attached Files
                              98 Integra GSR
                              96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

Working...
                              X