Katana of the Month - September 2007  kwebbel

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension

All About Brakes & Suspension Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Rackovanz
Tank Slapper

eBay ID: Rackovanz

Default Improve the handling.

If i want to upgrade the shocks on my bike what should i get? I do not want to switch swing arms if possible. I like the speed of my bike but I would like to get better handling. Also wher eis a good place to get the parts suggested.

Check out www.Atozhometheater.com
Rackovanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
sadrik
Katrider

While only half of the equation, I just replaced my stock fork springs with Progressive springs and increased the weight of the fork oil. Holy! No more brake dive! The bike feels incredible now. No more panic attacks as I brake before a curve and have to wait for the front end to rebound. Wooonderful.

I haven't done anything with the rear shock, and I don't doubt it needs a rebuild (bike is a '92), but never having rode another bike, I wouldn't know what a good shock feels like.
"Of what is significant in one's own existence one is hardly aware, and it certainly should not bother the other fellow. What does a fish know about the water in which he swims all his life?" -- Einstein

sadrik
00 Blue VFR800, '99 Blue Katana 750
sadrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
paperairplane
Knee Dragger

buy a new rear shock and rebuild the forks.... penske and ohlins are about the top of the suspension mountain
Old 03-22-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
KatanaO215
Kat Daddy

are you still running stock tires? Upgrade those bad boys and you WILL notice it

KatanaO215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
Rackovanz
Tank Slapper

eBay ID: Rackovanz

I have avon azzaro(SP) 150/70/17 on it. and 120/70/17
Rackovanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackovanz
I have avon azzaro(SP) 150/70/17 on it. and 120/70/17
Moving to a triple apex tire will help more than any other upgrade (Pirelli, Metzeler).
If you have the inseam length to do it, raising the rear of the bike by an half inch or inch will greatly increase the turning tendencies (shorter dogbone, aka rear suspension link).
If the forks haven't been rebuilt in two years, they're due for new oil. The upgrades mentioned in the above posts are also very spot-on.

Exactly which part of the handling isn't to your tastes?

Cheers
=-= The CyberPopet
Old 03-23-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
floxera
Tank Slapper

Diablo, Diablo, Diablo

I have rebulit the front end and put a gixxer shock in the rear and both made big improvements in handling. The biggest single improvement was the diablos. Honestly though the handling is still no where close to a gsxr or cbr.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #8
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by floxera
Diablo, Diablo, Diablo

I have rebulit the front end and put a gixxer shock in the rear and both made big improvements in handling. The biggest single improvement was the diablos. Honestly though the handling is still no where close to a gsxr or cbr.
You can't have the handling of a GSXR or CBR until your Kat weighs the same as a GSXR or CBR and has the same rake angle, trail, etc. You might as well just break down and buy of those sport bikes then :P

Oh the other hand, as was shown so nicely in a real-world test in Bike magazine late last year, a pro-rider (in this case, a Brit traffic cop who rides an ST1100 all day) put in better or identical lap times on his work bike than their top test riders did on the newest bits of cutting edge race bikes -- and he never went knee-down. It's a matter of skill and practice; the ability to carry corner speed and work what the bike's strengths are. He also popped their cherries when he got on the race bikes It's a good read if you can find it...

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
The CyberPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
floxera
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyberPoet
You can't have the handling of a GSXR or CBR until your Kat weighs the same as a GSXR or CBR and has the same rake angle, trail, etc. You might as well just break down and buy of those sport bikes then :P
Well said. That was exactly my point.
floxera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension