Katana of the Month - July 2007 - FASHER

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to KatRiders.com! We're glad you found us!
Please take a minute to introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:55 AM   #1
JimminyCrickets
Skid Mark

Default Hiya!

Hiya everybody, my name is Jim.
I'm 22, 23 in October, and from Colorado.
I've been lurking these forums for a while but finally have a real reason to join in the fun.
But first some back story. I grew up in garages and around all kinds of motors, but a lot of my family have been riders for many years. I got my endorsement when I was 18 after my dad and I built my first bike, a mid 80s Honda CB 250. We did some paint and tune up but not much else.
At the same time we did a bobber conversion on an 86 cb900 for him.
When I got to being more experienced he gave me the 900 and he got himself a 2013 VTX 1300, this is back in 2014.
About a week after he got the vtx we were going to lunch on an early Saturday, and had stopped at a red light near our house turning left. Light turned green and my bike popped out of gear, I looked down to put it back into gear as he started going. When I looked up I watched as a lady ran the red at about 45mph and broad sided him. Long story short the ligaments in the front and back of his pelvis separated, and if it weren't for the fact that I refused to ride with him if he didn't wear a helmet, he'd have died.(face mask was shattered)
He survived, but is disabled for life. I moved back in with him and spent the 2 weeks he was in the hospital remodeling his house to be sterile and wheelchair friendly, and the next 2 years being his day nurse. Cleaning up after his accidents, helping him to the bathroom and helping him shower. Helping him through the depression of not being able bodied and able to take care of his family. I taught him how to do wheelies in the wheelchair to cheer him up at one point
Anyway we immediately sold my two bikes and his was completely totalled.
Roll forward to this year and I'm feeling comfortable trying to get on two wheels again.
Following in true fashion of our family, I picked up a project. Found a 96 GSX600F Katana for basically free and figured it'd be fun.
Well the shopping list for it now is a gas tank, carb rebuild, intake boots, a coil, a starter, and some clean up.
I also found a 93 that I'm picking up on Thursday that the only issue it has is that it refuses to shift into second for the guy that has it, it'll only do neutral or first. I'm gonna take a look at it(probably with some questions for the masters on here) and see if it's worth fixing that one and keeping the 96 for spare parts, or using parts off the 93 to get the 96 running.
Anyway that's my rant. I look forward to being a part of this community and talking to you guys.
Have a great night/day 😊

Last edited by JimminyCrickets; 04-18-2018 at 01:00 AM..
JimminyCrickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:06 AM   #2
Lunatic
Katrider

eBay ID: gixer11r

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your father's misfortune. It really sucks when bad things happen to good people. It was honorable what you had done for him. I congratulate you on taking care of him, making him feel better and redoing the house. You're a hero in my book.

Perhaps you could build, or purchase, a sidecar and take your father out once in a while for a little scoot on a Sunday afternoon.

Take care and God Bless.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
zuma
Kat King

As they say, a person must do what a person must do, but you, my friend, are a saint.

The sidecar idea is something to consider. I once spent time over lunch in Loving, NM many years ago visiting with a rider who had lost both legs from the knees down after his Harley head-on collisioned with a semi. He now rides a big Yamaha cruiser with a side car for stability, and he has a portable wheel chair that folds and fits behind the side car.

Just a thought.

After seven years of solid riding on seven different bikes, and being involved in three crack ups that could have taken me out, (one incident where a 750+ lb feral hog snapped off my left foot peg and shifter at a very high speed) and came out of each virtually unscathed, I quit pushing my luck. And it was about the time we left Texas and moved to Pagosa, neighbor.

I don't ride here for three reasons.
1. random pot holes
2. wow look at that mountain tourists not watching the road
3. wildlife on the road that can devour me

Hey, ride safe. And yes you are a saint.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
JimminyCrickets
Skid Mark

The sidecar idea is awesome I'm definitely gonna have to do some thinking about that. Thank you guys for the warm welcome 😊
JimminyCrickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
JIB
Kat King

Welcome to Katriders. Sorry to hear about your dad, but sounds like you have his back.

Good luck.
JIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions