Electrical Issue?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Issue?

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Suzuki Katana 600 with about 3,000 miles on it. I've had an issue lately with the bike shutting down on me while riding. The first instance occurred shortly after leaving my house (roughly 1/4 mile away) at a signal light. I noticed that my blinkers were not working properly (lighting up) and when I stopped at the light the bike died on me. I jump started the bike and it ran without issue for the rest of the day (longer ride 100+ miles). I tested the battery shortly after jumping it and it appeared to be holding an acceptable charge.

The second instance occurred about a week ago. I went to start the bike for a ride out to go hiking and the bike started fine. I rode it 30+ miles to my destination and parked it while I hiked. After about three hours I returned and went to start the bike. I noticed the bike had a weak start as if the battery was once again drained. I was able to get the bike to start and I rode off. After approximately five minutes of riding, my tachometer stopped working. The bike continued to run without issue so I decided to continue on. A few miles further and the speedometer stopped working. At this point I was just hoping to get the bike back to home base. Shortly thereafter the odometer shut off and shortly after that the bike turned off (While doing 70ish on the highway). Luckily my friend was with me and I was able to jump the bike and ride it home without issue.

What I've done so far:
    I started the bike, let it idle, and disconnected the positive battery cable. The bike continued to run with no issues.
    I inspected the wires (Along with a mechanic friend) on the bike and discovered no obvious issues.
    I pulled all of the fuses and discovered no issues
    I inspected the kickstand switch and the kickstand and there appeared to be no issues (sagging etc.)
    I checked the connections from the alternator with no obvious issues.

After leaving the bike idle for a week the bike fired right up first try.

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated!!!!

How old is the battery?

Have you checked the voltage while the bike is running to make sure you are getting enough charging voltage?

If the battery is good, I wonder if maybe you have a voltage regulator that is failing when it gets hot... either that or you have an intermittent short, or open... maybe even a bad ground.

You might want to carry a multimeter with you and ride until the bike won't start. Check your voltages when you try to start it and also after you jump start it. I may shed some light on what's going on.
    Last edited by KatanaGSX92; 12-09-2012, 08:04 AM.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Have your gages returned?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

bad alternator or regulator if you had to jump it. put a volt meter on the battery and start it it should have over 12.5 volts 14.0-14.5 is good if the battery is low or if you have a big lode on it like lights etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
          How old is the battery?

Have you checked the voltage while the bike is running to make sure you are getting enough charging voltage?

If the battery is good, I wonder if maybe you have a voltage regulator that is failing when it gets hot... either that or you have an intermittent short, or open... maybe even a bad ground.

You might want to carry a multimeter with you and ride until the bike won't start. Check your voltages when you try to start it and also after you jump start it. I may shed some light on what's going on.
          I was told the battery is fairly new by the guy that I bought it from. He didn't say exactly how old and he did say that he did not ride very often (hence the low mileage). I need to buy a multimeter as I've never had a use for one before but I'll check it out once I get one.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Have your gages returned?
          Yes the gauges returned once the bike was jumped....I was able to start it again yesterday with no issues.

Originally posted by eric77ward View Post
          bad alternator or regulator if you had to jump it. put a volt meter on the battery and start it it should have over 12.5 volts 14.0-14.5 is good if the battery is low or if you have a big lode on it like lights etc.
          I'll check the voltage once I get the multimeter. I'm hoping it's just the battery. I did notice the terminals were extremely loose and I did tighten those down. Doubt that is the issue but a guy can hope!

Comment

Loose terminals can also cause this problem.Even though they look tight a gap between the contact and the terminal will allow corrosion.This will in turn cause a high resistance and block power to the bike from the battery.The alternator should power enough to ride the bike no problem but a standing start might give the flat battery senario.
            I'm outa here

Comment

So I had the system checked at a local dealership and the charging system checked out fine.......Since I tightened down the terminal cables the bike has been running without issue.....Hopefully this is all it is/was. Thanks for all of your input!

Comment

Working...
              X