X

Starter/Cold Start problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter/Cold Start problems

Hey guys, so I replaced my battery yesterday and unfortunately it did not fix my problem. The bike does not want to turn over in the morning when cold. Now it's still 75 degrees out in the morning now, but it acts like the starter's bad. Then after a few attempts it will finally turn over and start. But before it successfully turns over and starts, it cranks really slowly for about a second (or not at all) and will even backfire. Then after it does start it smells very rich. I think that's probably just the cranking and not starting though. So you guys think it's most likely my starter going out? Funny thing is, it hasn't done this when it's warmer out or after work when it's almost 100 degrees. To me it seems like the starter, but wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks

Sounds like more going on then the starter.

Since you said it smells rich all of a sudden makes me think carb issues....But i've been away from Kats for years now....I'm sure one the guys will chime in soon...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm fairly sure it's not carb issues, since the bike runs great once it's fired up. I ride it daily and haven't noticed a gas mileage decrease or any other problems with driveability. I did put on a Yoshi RS3 slip on last week but that shouldn't be causing any problems. It does pop a little on decel but not bad.
      Last edited by travg; 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Few things to consider...

Are you starting the bike in neutral?
        What oil type are you using?
        Have you checked to make sure your wire connections are clean and tight at all points in the starter circuit?
        Have you checked to make sure the starter bolts are tight and it's properly seated?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Few things to consider...

Are you starting the bike in neutral?
          What oil type are you using?
          Have you checked to make sure your wire connections are clean and tight at all points in the starter circuit?
          Have you checked to make sure the starter bolts are tight and it's properly seated?

Krey
          Yep in Neutral
          I'm running Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 (it's hot in phoenix)
          Battery connections look good
          Haven't actually had fairings off to take a look at the starter. I've had cars do this before and it's usually the starter solenoid, but since so far it's only done it when it's cold it's kind of stumping me. Usually solenoids act up when hot. Not sure how long the starter motors usually last on the Kat's but mine has 19,600 miles now.

Comment

Originally posted by travg View Post
            Yep in Neutral
            I'm running Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 (it's hot in phoenix)
            Battery connections look good
            Haven't actually had fairings off to take a look at the starter. I've had cars do this before and it's usually the starter solenoid, but since so far it's only done it when it's cold it's kind of stumping me. Usually solenoids act up when hot. Not sure how long the starter motors usually last on the Kat's but mine has 19,600 miles now.

I'm honestly thinking that a ground/positive cable conection is not tight/clean more so than the starter relay. If the surface contact is too small, there is too much resistance for the current needed to turn the starter so it won't turn, but some current flows. Resistance causes heat buildup, making the metals expand increaseing the amount of current that can flow... and that would explain the wont' turn over for a moment then it will and work fine. The colder it gets... the more pronounced the issue.

Just a thought. I would pull the plastics and trace ground connections and power connections for the entire circuit. Clean them, tighten them back up, etc...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Cranking slow is deff. bad current. As the starter heats up it will run faster.
              But the starter running that slow shouldn't pump so much gas that you back fire..
              I think you have two issues.

Comment

Well I'll have a look at the wiring when i get home guys. Just thought I'd get some thoughts on it before I start to diagnose it tonight. I guess by backfire I meant afterfire. Whoops I need to rebuild my petcock as well tonight so it'll be a 2 for 1 hopefully. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck

Comment

Working...
                X