No announcement yet.
X

1982 Katana Colors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a great movie. I hope you can get it in the U.S. as it is a Canadian Movie.

Comment

One Week is not yet available on netflix but has made it their list of user requests
      sigpic
      Pepe Bouchard

Comment

You LIKE the riding position?
        WOW....I found it was very severe on my 44 year old, 200lb and 6' body.

I love the oil spots under the Norton as well.

AWESOME garage BTW

Comment

...and so it goes.

Put in 20+ hours on this one this weekend. Right, wrong or indifferent, I'm getting on with it.

When was the last time you saw one of these?

Z

Comment

Motor looks great. What did you do to clean it all up? Repaint? Polish? Still debating whether or not my 750 motor in my second 82 is worth trying to rebuild or not. Previous owner had unbolted the valve cover and proceeded to leave it sit loose like that outdoors for about 6 years (and I have no backstory as to why he pulled it in the first place). Can you say corrosion.

Comment

Cleaning

Although I feel guilty for not tearing this one completely down, I could find no reason to do so. Everything checks out good and now, I'm just doctoring up its appearance.

The exterior of this one looked horrible before starting. I machined some aluminum plugs with O-rings for the exhaust ports and put inner tube/hose clamps over the intake spigots in order to bead blast. After scrubbing/scouring a couple of hours, I talked myself out of blasting. Used sandpaper, Scotchbrite and Scotchbrite on a die grinder. The ends of my fingers look like hamburger meat but a small price to pay for results.

Z

Comment

So if you just scotchbrited everything, will you need to clear it to keep it from oxidizing?

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post
                Although I feel guilty for not tearing this one completely down, I could find no reason to do so. Everything checks out good and now, I'm just doctoring up its appearance.

The exterior of this one looked horrible before starting. I machined some aluminum plugs with O-rings for the exhaust ports and put inner tube/hose clamps over the intake spigots in order to bead blast. After scrubbing/scouring a couple of hours, I talked myself out of blasting. Used sandpaper, Scotchbrite and Scotchbrite on a die grinder. The ends of my fingers look like hamburger meat but a small price to pay for results.

Z

Comment

Cleaning

Waltari....everthing is painted (Dupli-Color). I intend to pull the valve cover off, bead blast, sand & polish. If it polishes up nice, I will powder coat it clear. If it doesn't shine up nice, I will powder coat it "aluminum" color (same powder on my Norton tank/side covers). The previous picture was a "before" view.

The clear powder coat works good and I plan to coat my wheels with it. I haven't done any experimenting with the clear powder over highly polished bits (side covers, fork lowers, etc.) but that is my next project ...maybe tonight. I've tried it on some brushed aluminum parts I built for my car (torsion bar ends) which turned out slick and perfectly clear. The powder goes through a "milky" looking stage but with time & heat, it clears right up.

The old Kat footpeg mounts started bleeding rust a few weeks off the showroom floor. I've cleaned them up knowing the rust would come back. I'm, also, going to try polishing them up and hit them with clear to see how they hold up. There's lots of possibilities for the clear.

Primed.

Z

Comment

Engine looked great in the first pics,this last pic looks kinda grey, is it? Is that the dupli color?

Comment

Says right above the picture of the grey engine photo that it's the primer.

Have to say...it's all looking great!

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                      Engine looked great in the first pics,this last pic looks kinda grey, is it? Is that the dupli color?

Comment

Nice, I wished I worked as fast as you.

Comment

well duhh,, maybe I'm visually impaired, and didn't know it.

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
                          Says right above the picture of the grey engine photo that it's the primer.

Have to say...it's all looking great!

Comment

More thanks

Thanks, Waltari. I've plundered through most all of the old threads here and have seen your work and therefore, value your opinion. You are obviously not intimidated to tackle a tough project.

Ukilme...one of the many benefits of living in your shop. Can't sleep, just go out in the shop in your drawers and work until you can sleep. Years ago, I spent 15% of my time working on them and the other 85% staring at them and stratagizing. Now days, I do enough research to get me started and just dive in. I have found that I'm better off starting with the wrong approach and correct it as I go along rather just sitting and pondering. My saying for the most recent years has been "Do Something, Even if its Wrong"....which is, now, first cousins with "Git 'er Done". Labor Day weekend, I rode 1800+ miles and my next scheduled ride is to the 5th Annual Barber's Vintage Bike Festival (AHRMA racing...Birmingham, AL) the weekend of Oct 9, 10 & 11th as I hope to start racing vintage bikes next season (Triumphs...still got to build something similar to the bike below). In between long rides, I work on them. This year I've ridden in excess of 25K+ miles all on dedicated trips outside of Mississippi...not into the local loops or the Bike Nights....besides, it's Bike Night every night at my house.

My buddy in Nashville built this bike. It, along with a good rider, took top honors two years running. Picture is at Barber's race track.

If you ever get a chance to go Barber's...don't pass it up. They have 2 old Kats...possibly three.

7th from the top.

Let me know if I can help.

Z

Comment

I see where you said you painted engine with duplicolor paint.
                              Are you talking rattle cans? Is the primer coat also a duplicolor paint.
                              I'd like to clean up my enginethis winter, and yours looks good, so I thought I'd ask.

Comment

Johnod

Yes, rattle can. I scrubbed the engine to within an inch of its life and then scrubbed a little more. I also used a hot pressure washer with a spinning nozzle which is pretty aggressive at close range. That and soaking it with purple cleaner mixed 50/50 with water. I used Scotchbrite to remove the oxidation/flaking coating and scuffed every sq in of coating that remained.

On the paint, I bought Rust-O-leum paint and primer and Duplicolor paint and primer engine paint. I had some chrome-moly tubing (smooth OD) that I primed and painted with the different paints as samples. I liked both colors but the Rust-O-leum shot kind of thin allowing it to run easily which allows the metallic bits to pool. I couldn't shoot wet coats with it and could with the Duplicolor. Although the Duplicolor sample looked the best, both paints proved to be tough after allowed to cure. I hosed them down with carb cleaner and it didn't kill the finish.

The next time this engine is out of the frame, it will be because I need to go into it. When that time comes, I'll do it right and shoot it with catalyzed paint on the individual components. I've restored many bikes but have never had one that I didn't have to go through the engine first.

There is nothing to what I've done here other than a bunch of labor. All the covers were wet sanded with 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit before going to the buffing wheel. Mindless work but a means to an end.

Z

Comment

Working...
                                X