My 82 Kat 750 resto mod thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you want to get a speed mod ....try putting in a motor lol

Comment

Well, I got ANOTHER one today! I won't go pick it up till Tuesday but I bought an 83 1100ES that is NICE, with 24,000 miles on it & all original for 1500 bucks! Can I put it at your place too?!!! LOL!! Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

can't wait to see more, good luck
        sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
          Well, I got ANOTHER one today! I won't go pick it up till Tuesday but I bought an 83 1100ES that is NICE, with 24,000 miles on it & all original for 1500 bucks! Can I put it at your place too?!!! LOL!! Ray.
          Sorry Ray, Kat parking only. Feel free to send one up Great deal on the ES though....congrats!

Comment

Well, I got the frame stripped down. I started to strip the paint and rust the old fashion way of orbital sander, painter stripped and wire brush. It was a pain. I got most paint and rust but not 100%. I decided to prime it then when I am ready, I will get it sand blasted and most likely powder coated.

I just found almost a whole front end from a 93 GSXR 750 locally with only 5500kms on it. It does not come with the front wheel as he is selling with the rear-polished and new rubber but comes with breaks including lines, axle, speedo and such even the fender. I get it on Wednesday.

On a side note, I went to a 'local' junk yard this week looking for a left side lower fairing (choke side). The owner had some but would not sell it. But he showed me his collection of bikes. He had a clean 1983 Katana 1100, sitting beside a GT750, which was beside a Eddie Lawson KZ, and in his public museum he had a 85 POP-Up with only 10,000kms on the clock. It was nice to see some classics from my childhood.

Anyone have a extra lower fairing-chock side? PM me if you do.
            Last edited by ukilme; 08-16-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Those choke side panels are still available from SUZUKI new! I know, I have one! Ray.
              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                Those choke side panels are still available from SUZUKI new! I know, I have one! Ray.
                Thanks, Ray, I check with the local dealer or Bike Bandit.

Comment

Hello everyone! This is a great website I stumbled into. Just bought my first 82 Kat 1000SZ and in the process of restoring it. The suede seat is really dirty. Any suggestions on what to use to clean and preserve it? Ray, love to see some photos of your 83 gs1100es once fully restored!

Comment

Originally posted by leatherlungz View Post
                    Hello everyone! This is a great website I stumbled into. Just bought my first 82 Kat 1000SZ and in the process of restoring it. The suede seat is really dirty. Any suggestions on what to use to clean and preserve it? Ray, love to see some photos of your 83 gs1100es once fully restored!
                    It's not suede (unless yours has been recovered), it's a weird dense foam material that looks like suede. Mine was dirty as well but some Spray 9 and a stiff bristle brush cleaned it back to a bright light grey. I rinsed it really well afterwards to get the soap out.
                    1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Forgive me but what is Spray 9 and where can I get it? Or do you mean the multipurpose kitchen type cleaner 409? Would you also recommend a protectant that would prevent the UV rays from hardening and drying the seat out? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by leatherlungz View Post
                        Forgive me but what is Spray 9 and where can I get it? Or do you mean the multipurpose kitchen type cleaner 409? Would you also recommend a protectant that would prevent the UV rays from hardening and drying the seat out? Thanks

409 and Fantastic are two similar cleaners. As for a protectant, I don't use anything.
                        1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
                          hey everyone,

well, here is my kat as it looks now.

invisible engine mod!!! Sweeet!

/ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
                          The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
                          ...and miles to go before I sleep.
                          - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            invisible engine mod!!! Sweeet!

The Fastest damn engine in the world...I s*&t you not.

Comment

exc911ence,

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Well, I got some grinding done. The last owner had the center stand removed and one side of the right bracket cut. So, I decided to cut the rest a grind it away.

He also fitted a 89 gsxr 750 motor in it with his own motor mounts and cut the front cross member away. So, I removed the remains as well. Now, the frame is done for now until I am ready to get some welding done-mostly bracing and getting the cross member put back.

The progress is slow but I am having fun. Now, to tackle the front end and get the rest of the pieces I need for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X