Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Help me diagnose how badly jetted my Katana is!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me diagnose how badly jetted my Katana is!!!

OK, I have a Katana 750, CA model. The thing has 105 main jets, and I don't know what kind of pilot jets it may have (the numbers on them are unreadable).

Here is what it does:

a) Hard to start when cold, have to let it warm up real good or it will run like isht!

b) In traffic, if I stop, lets say a stoplight, when I try to take off it will run like crap, if I give her gas it will sputter and seem to run on 2 cylinders. I have to give her full throttle or rev it up before letting the clutch go. Sometimes, if it is reall hot and the stoplight was long, I will have to rev it a few times before it is able to run right.

c) Doesn't like low RPMs. When hot, cold is way worse, I can't try to accelerate at 3K rpms, I have to downshift or give it very little gas, or it will sputter and run on 2 cylinders until it gets to 5-6k rpms.

d) Sometimes when I'm cruising around 5K rpms, if I give her a little bit more gas it will sputter and do the same as above, I have to downshift or give her more gas.

Top end of the RPM band seems to be fine, pulls hard, but I can't really tell if it is as hard as it should.

Plugs look really lean, the "white" part of the plug is "too white", no brown/tan as it should be. Also, the exhausts have no carbon deposits, if you stick your finger in there it is just dirt/rust or a yellow-ish dust, that I think may be sulfur (our gasoline is high in sulfur), but not any black carbon as it should be.

That and the fact that the exhausts are drilled and the bike has pod filters, makes me think the bike is running extremely lean.

Note:

I'm not as dumb as to drill the exhausts, I think the PO is extremely dumb to do that to the bike, but well, what can I do now? Also, why the pod filters? Well, the PO was so dumb that took it to a very bad mechanic, who never bothered to correclty install the airbox, so all the tubes connecting the airbox to the carbs are deformed and wont fit anymore.

I must admit, the bike looked way better than how it really was. Had to replace the battery, one fork seal, tires, adjust the valves, change the oil/filter, those problems with the airbox, new sparkplug wires, etc.

I'm starting to regret about it, it is being more expensive than what I can comfortably afford...

Anyway, my idea was to buy a junker and fix it up, but I decided to start with the nicest junker I could find, guess this junker was just a looker, not a runner.
    Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

if its got 105 main jets in it and its got pod filters its running very lean try to find some 122.5 or 125 mikuni brand jets leave the pilots alone and set teh float height at 14mm and go up on the pilot jet size from the stock 37.5 size pilot with a 35.0 that should at least get you in the pretty close

Comment

Huh? First you said to leave the pilots alone, then to get a 37.5 or a 35? (If I understand right, the 37.5 is bigger than the 35) Or were you trying to say, leave the mixture screws alone???

Dam'n by now, the main jets alone, here, cost $60, if I add the pilots, that would be around $120!!!

Damn!!! I hope SweetLow can send me the jets...

I'd rather leave the mixture screws alone, they are supposedly adjusted at the factory for every single carb on a bench test, as they say that each carb is different.

Comment

well if main jets cost that much ill send you some i got a whole box full ill have to see if i got the right ones as for the pilots yes i said leave them a lone then after i relized where in the world you are i feel it would be better to change them actually i have a set of 122.5's and a set of 125's your wlecome to them just pm me an adress and ill mail them in the moring or fed ex or ups do you want a set of pilots too those are cheap here like 1bucks a jet ill gladly pick you up some and send them with teh main jets too?????

Comment

Thanks man!!! If you could mail me a set of 125s and 122.5s (in case the other ones are too large) and a set of 37.5 pilots I will really appreciate it!!!

Also if you could do it as soon as possible that would be great, as the trackday is soon and I've got limited spare time (mostly at nights) to tune the bike.

I can pay you the shipping and whatever you want for the jets through paypal!

Comment

ok done deal dont worry about shipping il send them in the moring and get you a tracking number i just need and address

Comment

I also have a stock air box if you want it. I have no use for it as I am running pods, and have a completely different engine (gixxer engine in mine).

Pm me if you want the box, and if you want me to get the jets. I have a paypal account for payment options. Like I said, the jets are cheap. Its just a matter of what shipping costs will be the big factor from what it sounds like. That is with the air box though, the jets are small, and could fit in a small envelope.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

As much as Id love a new airbox, my bike is a pre-98, so I don't think the airbox will fit. Well, that and the fact that the pods give her a mean sound

Comment

Originally posted by Süsser Tod
                  As much as Id love a new airbox, my bike is a pre-98, so I don't think the airbox will fit. Well, that and the fact that the pods give her a mean sound
                  Ahhh, yes, that airbox would not work. And don't get me wrong, the pods are definately nice. are you using K&N pods?
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

No, unfortunately they are some "cheap" no name pods. Paid $6 for each.

In the future, as my budget allows it, I'm planning on real K&N pods plus the SSR2 full system (there are no slip-ons for the pre98 Kats, and if I were to mod my bike to fit a 98+ system it would end up being a lot more expensive than the V&H SSR2).

But by now thats only a dream, maybe in 3-4 months.

Comment

BINGO:

Most probable source of issues:
                      Bike is a Califonia model, but has pods.

The California model (easily identifiable by an extra port below each exhaust header [at least on the 98+, I think the pre-98 is the same], which normally pipes back to the PAIR valve directly under the tank) is highly dependent on vacuum activation of a number of systems to work correctly. These systems include a vacuum pull on the float bowls (to suck off excess vaporized fuel from within the bowls), vacuum to pull the crankcase venting off at the mentioned ports, etc. It also uses a charcoal cannister and a number of PVC (one-way vacuum valves). If the stock airbox is missing, the PAIR valve needs to be disabled, the ports must be blocked (airtight), and the excess vacuum draws at the carbs need to be capped off.
                      To add to the problems, the Cali model gets leaner-than-normal jetting, which becomes problematic if any of the secondary pollution systems are removed (have to replace the needle jets if this is the case to compensate).

Poor SweetDeath, you are in a world of misery right now...

Wie gut ist dein Deutsch?

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        BINGO:

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        but if you look a few words down it states the bike has 105 main jets those are stock size for a 750 reguardless of cali model or not at least on the old kat all the emissions crap never worked right. so yank it all off re jet the sucker. and ride the wheels off it you jets are in the mail or airplane which ever fed ex uses

Comment

Originally posted by sinfulkat
                          Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          BINGO:

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          but if you look a few words down it states the bike has 105 main jets those are stock size for a 750 reguardless of cali model or not at least on the old kat all the emissions crap never worked right. so yank it all off re jet the sucker. and ride the wheels off it you jets are in the mail or airplane which ever fed ex uses
                          Gotta make sure those exhaust ports under the exhaust header ports are blocked off. Scrap the PAIR valve/PVC/cannister, cap off the other unused lines, and use a hose diagram from the standard model to finish the conversion. Then it will be much easier to run, operate on, mod.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow, yeah, I saw all of that crap on my bike, except for...

Only one line, that goes from a valve on top of the engine head (that connects to other two lines comming from the front of the engine) connects to the airbox.

To the carbs only the two fuel lines and the vacum line to the petcock.

Obviously there is one line from the tank to the charcoal canister, and another canister in the front of the bike, that also connects to the valve on top of the cylinder head.

Does any one have a guide to remove all the emisions thingies? If they dont' work fine, then I have a real reason to remove them, but if they work fine, I'll leave them in there (my tree hugger side wants to leave them in there, thats why I never looked into removing them).

Comment

Now, thinking about it, the mechanic that used to work on this bike before I bought it, was a F*cking moron. I think that the bike does have a PAIR valve (the valve that is on top of the cylinder head, that connects to two lines comming from the front of the engine, and is also connected to the same vacum line that goes to the petcock, the PCV and God knows what else was connected to that thing).

Most likely that moron was clueless about this and removed some lines or something along those lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X