X

Luggage rack fabrication

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage rack fabrication

So after a little searching on the net and not finding anything I like in a luggage rack for the Kat without giving up my first born (wife wouldn't be happy), I've decide to weld one up myself. Question is, what wall thickness of tubing should I use? Any of you fabricator types have suggestions or anyone with a rack that can measure the wall thickness for me? Aluminum is out as I don't have the equipment to weld it myself, so it's got to be carbon steel.

TIA
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Depends on the OD diameter and type of material you're using. I think my current hardbag racking is made out of 1/2" od x .065 wall DOM style steel tube.

Comment

it will also depend on what the design is going to look like too. it might be easier to use 1/4" or 3/8" round bar and heat and bend with a torch.

got an idea of what your looking to do?
      bippity-boppity- BACON

"Chatbox slayer..."

Comment

Yep
        3/8 round bar will be stronger and easier to weld up strong
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Just remember, in case of a crash, you want the luggage rack to break away rather than bending your sub-frame.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            Yep
            3/8 round bar will be stronger and easier to weld up strong
            Tubing is normally stronger tha solid stock. It has to do with the how the molecules line up in the metal. If your not looking into hauling anything heavy, 1/2" conduit may suit you, and its definetly cheap. Just be sure to grind off the galvanized coating so your lungs dont start to bleed when you weld it.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
              Tubing is normally stronger tha solid stock. It has to do with the how the molecules line up in the metal. If your not looking into hauling anything heavy, 1/2" conduit may suit you, and its definetly cheap. Just be sure to grind off the galvanized coating so your lungs dont start to bleed when you weld it.
              IF you weld anything galvanized, definitely do it in a place with really good ventilation and as a precaution, drink a lot of milk. Sounds goofy, but the calcium in the milk helps eliminate any side effects from the zinc fumes you will undoubtedly inhale. I'd just used 1/2" DOM tube...not as expensive as everyone might think.

Comment

i just suggested round bar because it would look better when heated and bent in a home shop. tubing tends to kink and dimple if not done with a bender. without knowing the design or intent its hard to make a determination on what to use exactally.

tubing or roundbar will work and either will be plenty strong...its all about what look your trying to achieve and your level of fab skills.
                bippity-boppity- BACON

"Chatbox slayer..."

Comment

I thought of solid bar as I have an endless supply of many different diameters and everything from mild carbon steel to higher carbon alloy steel in drawn wire (sizes from .131" to 1 1/4" we call it wire after it has been drawn), but was primarily worried about excess weight. I figured with tube, I could keep it as light as possible while using steel. So far what I've kind of figured for design, is two large "L" that would bolt in place of the factory tie down bars (post Kat), run along the bottom of the tail fairing and up at the rear, where I could attach a rack to hold a top case for traveling to keep the rear seat open for tent, sleeping bag etc. etc. I was also planning on something modular so it was quick on and off. I was thinking of maybe incorporating a simple wire frame to attach the the "L"s to add additional attachment points for soft paniers.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

i know this sounds bad but check out some of the harley softtail accessories. they use a lot of 3/8" round bar for luggage racks over the rear fenders and they got a slick quick disconnect system on them that you can get the individual latches and posts for
                    bippity-boppity- BACON

"Chatbox slayer..."

Comment

When you figure it out please post it. I bought some cheap soft bags from PA and it's great having them but want something a little nicer. I'm a sheet metal worker so fabing up stuff isn't a problem. Oh and by the way I weld galv. almost every day and it's really not a big deal as long as you have a smoke eater or an exhaust hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird01 View Post
                        i know this sounds bad but check out some of the harley softtail accessories. they use a lot of 3/8" round bar for luggage racks over the rear fenders and they got a slick quick disconnect system on them that you can get the individual latches and posts for
                        Not bad at all. I'll check it out and rip off their ideas to create mine.

Originally posted by rodp View Post
                        When you figure it out please post it. I bought some cheap soft bags from PA and it's great having them but want something a little nicer. I'm a sheet metal worker so fabing up stuff isn't a problem. Oh and by the way I weld galv. almost every day and it's really not a big deal as long as you have a smoke eater or an exhaust hood.
                        Will do
                        Last edited by Astro4x4; 01-07-2010, 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        2000 Katana 600
                        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I got one from ebay for $4.99.It was a BMW rack.I had to weld some flat stock onto it to make it fit.Last I saw they had another one for sale.

Comment

Is there any reason most of the luggage racks are oriented perpendicular to the length of the bike? Seems to me that air flow against the luggage on the sides and over your back to the middle bag would be greater resistance than if you had a rack oriented parallel with the length of the bike, even it did overhang a bit off the back of the bike.
                            In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Originally posted by albion2
                              C:\my documents\my pictures\pict0199.jpg
                              Unless you invite all of us over to your house, we're never going to be able to see that.

Host it on photobucket or the like, and then insert the link into your post.
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                              X