X

First Gear Vs. Joe Rocket- Mesh Gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Gear Vs. Joe Rocket- Mesh Gear

I have both a First Gear and a Joe Rocket jacket and pants. Gonna wear one to the Rally, so yesterday, I did a back to back ride, first with the First Gear, then with the Joe Rocket.

First Gear Jacket is identified as a "LTHRMESHT" on an inside tag. It is black, red and silver. Mostly closer-weave mesh, with perforated leather at elbows, shoulders and full-length of spine, with pads sewn in behind leather. Leather is rather thin and quite supple, pads are very flexible- neither look very substantial, and I wonder how much help they would be in event of a crash. Removable-crash-pad pockets are in place at spine, elbows and shoulders; CE armour fits (except spine pocket, which is too narrow,) but only "high density" pads came with the jacket. Three exterior zipper utility pockets and one interior snap pocket. 6-inch zippers at wrist.

Joe Rocket jacket- model not found. All black, more open weave mesh used on entire exterior. CE-compliant pad pockets at elbows, shoulders and spine, non-removable pads at shoulders, spine and duck tail- same unispiring material as FG. 2 exterior zipper pockets. Removable interior rain liner.

FG pants- actually two pair- one is all mesh, other has same thin leather as jacket. All-mesh has pad pockets at hips and knees, and three exterior zip pockets (one at knee); "Leather-Tec" only had pad pockets at knees- NO utility pockets. 11-inch zippers at the ankles. Leather-Tec pants has a cool-looking checkerboard stripe at the knees.

JR pants- Same mesh as JR jacket. Sewn-in pads at hips, pad pockets at knees. Two exterior zip pockets. 22-inch zippers at knees.

Evaluations:

Heat- JR is the winner. More open mesh was noticable cooler, esp. when stopped.

Protection- main material- I suspect the FG would provide better abraision protection.

Protection- pads- JR is winner, both jacket and pants. More and/or bigger pockets for aux. pads. Leather on FG is, frankly, a joke. Appears to be there more for looks than protection.

Utility/ease of use: JR inches ahead- long leg zippers giving it a small advantage over the more utility pockets on the FG- I sometimes wear my gear over street clothes, which can be done with the JR pants, but is IMPOSSIBLE with the FG.

Being all black, the JR suit LOOKS better when I am riding my green Sprint ST- but the FG looks better when I am away from the bike.

Which suit will I wear to the the Rally? Still thinking... your ideas?
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Bump. Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

HAHA, Who cares what you look like away from the bike, you are wearing gear for protection incase you go down, not for which is a better fashion statement. My Teknic leather pants have stretched in the arse area over the last 2 years so it looks like I have a load of crap in my pants when I'm not on the bike, but they fit perfect when I'm riding. So go with the JR gear, as you said it seems better protection wise, and don't worry about what you look like off the bike unless we have a KR fashion show
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I have first gear over pants that I'm bringing to go over shorts/jeans. I'm sure I'll roast in them, but I couldn't find any over pants/riding pants that fit me as good. They are a little big, but they fit nicely in the cooler weather. Man, I'm gonna fry. I'll bring plenty of water

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
          My Teknic leather pants have stretched in the arse area over the last 2 years so it looks like I have a load of crap in my pants when I'm not on the bike
          now you tell me

Comment

Working...
          X