X

stalls with open throttle? 1980 honda

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stalls with open throttle? 1980 honda

I have a 1980 honda twinsatr i've been messing with and i had it running gereat over the winter but now it stalls when i give it any more than 1/8 turn on the throttle. Where should i start, it idles fine but needs the choke for a while untill it warms up. I was thinking i gets to much gas when i hit the throttle, but idk..... any help is great.
    2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Dirty carbs. Clean 'em.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

What size (185, 200, 400)
        Charge the battery..low battery low voltage to the ignition.

Make sure you battery charger has a 6V setting is this is a 6V bike.

These were very cold blooded bikes.
        If it responds to throttle with the choke on then just let it warm up longer
        I know the 78-79 were points ignition you may want to look at that if your 80 twinky is points ignition too. Something tells me that the 80 went to CDI and 12V system though... or maybe that was 81?

Also check the centrifugal timing advance, again I'm not sure if the 80 had one or not but if it did , remove it and clean it, lughtly grease it and re-install it.
        Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-21-2008, 04:43 PM.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks dangerous, heres the deal.....

It is 6v, i have the charger hooked up to it and theres a new battery. Nuetral light is really bright so it's prob not the bat.

It does not responed with the choke, just stalls.

I want to check the timing but i have a huge prob. The cover and screws are so old that they just strip when i try to take them out. I've soaked them in everything imaginable with no luck. I don't know if i can get new ones cause a lot of parts aren't available as well as any damage i might cause if i slip up if i drilled them out.

For now i'm gonna clean the jets and float bowl eeven though i just rebuilt it 4 months ago. We'll see how that goes.
          2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

[quote=Jhonyquest97;1415167] I want to check the timing but i have a huge prob. The cover and screws are so old that they just strip when i try to take them out. I've soaked them in everything imaginable with no luck. I don't know if i can get new ones cause a lot of parts aren't available as well as any damage i might cause if i slip up if i drilled them out. quote]

hand impact or small air butterfly impact with a very sharp phillips bit. for this kinda thing i prefer the hand impact, more control. if there is still screw head left, gently file straight across to make a slot for straight bit if the phillips is too far stripped.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

sounds like a fuel feed issue to me. spray them out good and make sure you have no vacuum leaks. you would be amazed at what old hoses can do. I run a 79 myself and this is crucial.

Comment

Working...
              X