Katana of the Month - May 2008  XMAN75

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
Bring Back the '80s
eBay ID: wildkat129

Default Whats the worst, "Oh &%$#@ " moment you had th

As you reflect on this past years riding and all the great times you've had out on 2 wheels..and we've all had some great stories to tell this year; I know Ive made alot of great memories during this past season...

Whats the biggest "oh shiat" moment you can remember from this past year on your bike.. Bad tank slapper? Cage cut you off and almost ran off the road ? Deer or other animal running out in front of you maybe ?
WildKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:34 AM   #2
Knee Dragger

Riding on an older black top road that is kept up by the county (they do a real good job, pavement is nice & smooth), it was about 3:00am I topped a hill & about half way down the hill were 3 deer, they were about 50 yards ahead of me, I quickly down shifted, braked hard without locking the wheels & stopped right where they were standing, they were now to my right, looking at me with what I think was that look of "HEY! You moron! Slow down!"
They didn't run or flinch until I let loose on the 118dcb horn, then they ran away.

I had to stop at the nearest firestation to have the seat removed from my arse.
I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.
GSX1100FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:50 AM   #3
Kat King
eBay ID: KanOGixxer

September 05 KOTM

I was going down the highway, I had boxers on, and I hit me nootz on my tank going over a bump.

It hurt.

I learned a important lesson that day.

Wear tighter undies to keep me nootz in check.
-89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
-Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
-Ohlins Susupension
-Various Other Mods

SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
Kat Champion

Aside from my crash this year, it was when I riding in the rain when my rear tire skidded when I applied too much rear brake. I started to fishtail like crazy and almost lost control the bike after I released the brake. Scared the crap out of me.
"The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Kat-A-Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
Kat King

Missing Deal's Gap Rally 2005.
Bike is sold
Spedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
Kat Daddy

This last year?? Hrmm...

Not many since I didn't put too many miles on the gix...

But it would most likely be attempting to accelerate hard and missing my shift from first to second... Damn thing shot right up and the tank damn near popped me in the face. (I really really like to keep both wheels on the ground at all times... which makes me wonder increasingly why I got a busa.)
Kanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Kat Daddy

the last saturday night ride we did ( end of october ) we didn't have a lot of time so we just headed to hooters ( ). the path we decided to take took us up & over the west hills ( rocky point road if you wish to map quest ) from hwy 30 to hwy 26 ( by way of skyline & cornelius pass rd ).

it was wet & lots of leaves ( this is a really tight road ) but it had a good set of clean(er) tire tracks to follow. i was in the mind set to have a little fun on this short ride and led the group up the hill ( didn't see the headlights of my fellow riders after the first turn . i was gone ! i don't mind sliding the rear a bit if i can feel that it's going to hook up again - isn't always the case riding on wet leaves - but i had a good time. the road opens up a bit then takes a nasty downhill tight right corner (20mph) that i usually take at around 35. i hammered it on the straight section then looked for my braking point ( when i brake for a corner - i brake & get back on the gas as quickly as i can - it allows you to ride deeper iinto the corner ).

the conditions should have had me running with a larger margin but the bike ( with the new suspension setup ) was handleing really well. I picked my brake point & had my eye on were i was going to flick it in, it's getting pretty dark & a light fog from the elevation, i grab the binders and start looking down through the corner as i feel the front end start to wash away. i release the brakes to get the front tire spinning again and note that i'm WAY past my turn in point and am now out of the clean line i was running in with no more time to adjust my entrance speed, i drop my inside elbow and toss the bike into the corner. i had no hope for staying in my lane and was praying the bike didn't slide as my line was using ALL the opposite lane ( thankfully no traffic ). i took as wide a line as possible to keep the lean angle down and was very happy that the bike tracked really well & i looked up the road for my next braking point. ( i imagine as i was braking i hit some leaves which reduced the tire grip on the road - locking up the front tire )

it was the worst 'blown' corner for me all year. i have to thank the local crew that teaches the doc wong clinic here i portland ( mainly keith codes SR's ) for improving my skill set and keeping relaxed when things don't go right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg map-rockypoint.jpg (37.2 KB, 26 views)
trinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #8

For as many miles as I tacked on (8500) I had a pretty good riding season. The only close call I had involved two deer and their lack of respect for my stock exhaust and horn. Since then a D&D came into play and that seems to get their attention much better. All I see anymore are white tails running off into the darkness.
You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.
kanventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
Kat Master

The worst oh seat moment for me this year was on the dragon. Woobie and I were at the tail end of the group as we left the CROT when a 18 wheeler low boy flat bed with wide load signs came around the corner. The driver was nice enough to leave about two feet of our lane free for us to get by the truck, but it was looking pretty scary for a second there.
tzortn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
Who let the riff raff in?
Supporting Member
eBay ID: freeziepop

Hearing the board crashed and we lost a few member accounts.

Oh on a bike?

Don;t knwo if i had any of those this year... Maybe when following babs and she went off the road during the lex rally.
Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance
zleviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk