X

Hmm... Should I get riding shoes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm... Should I get riding shoes?

Well my tennis shoes are just about shot. I can see my toes through them. I've always worn skate shoes as they arent all flashy, more comfortable, and more durable than regular tennis shoes in my opinion. Anyway, I have been thinking, instead of getting another pair or tennis shoes and a pair of riding shoes, maybe it would be easier to just get riding shoes. I assume that since they are made to slide across the concrete at 40 mph+ would they be durable enough as daily walking around shoes?

I'm pretty rough on shoes, I usually only own three pair : daily shoes, dress shoes, work boots. I usually buy new shoes twice a year. If i purchased riding shoes, and used them for both riding annd day to day activites, do you think they would last any longer or would i be better off only using them for riding? these shoes are expensive and my budget wont allow me to be buying a couple pair of these things year vs a $55 pair of DC's.

I'm torn because I look at the shoes at Revzilla and Cycle Gear and they just look like shoes. I kind of feel like boots would be more durable and provide more protection in a crash. Is that true? If Boots are considerably better to wear, and the shoes may not last longer than a year, I will probably just get boots and tennis shoes.

Take into consideration, I live in michigan which mean i will be trucking through snow, mud, water, and Salt. should i be concerned with some expensive ass riding shoes getting beat to crap from the elements?

I appreciate your input guys. Thanks.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

All I've ever worn riding for the last 35 years are western boots.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Been riding with shoes, so far it's been alright but after I'm done with the build atleast a pair of riding shoes/boots with the Achilles protection and toe shifter/sliders would be in order.

Also, pick up your damn feet if riding is causing shoe wear. Nothing I hate more than seeing plebs drag their feet.
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Over the ankle bone with re-enforced support is highly recommended.

Anything else is not protective footwear, and honestly, if your going that route just pick what ever you want for non riding, cause it's not riding gear.

You tube has lots of vids of people wearing non riding gear and you can watch the shoes fly off their feet when they wreck. This is before their feet hit the ground. Doesn't help you much if they come off before the impact. No support above the ankle leaves you with the very real possibility of a break in a highly disabling location that may make it hard to recover from.

There are lots of choices out there for good riding gear footwear that will fit multipurpose concerns. Examples are Shiny shoes for office wear too or weather proof touring boots for comfort and weather concerns.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ankle injuries can be forever(mine). boots can be $100 or less. mine have lasted over 3 yrs riding every wkend.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Riding boots do several things for you. They provide shin and ankle protection, additional wear layer for the shifter, traction on greasy road surfaces, a heel step to keep your foot from sliding forward off the footpeg and a stiff sole to distribute pressure from the footpeg across a larger portion of your soles. That last bit makes them somewhat less comfortable for walking since the boot sole doesn't flex as much as a regular shoe.

I rode in mil-issued combat boots for over 20 years and thought they were pretty good until I bought some inexpensive riding boots. (Vegas, on sale for $60) I'm sold. While these particular boots are a bit cheaply made and fit too tight (They don't come in half sizes.) my feet feel a lot better after even a couple hours of riding. They're OK for walking around a store but I wouldn't want to spend all day walking in them. When the budget starts looking better I'll be replacing them with some better boots but until then I wear them when I'm riding and change shoes when I get where I'm going. I even started keeping an extra pair of work shoes at the office.

It's up to you and your budget of course but if you're going to get riding boots get ones that protect your ankles and shins. Keep in mind that they're meant for riding, not walking so I'd advise changing shoes when you're done with the bike for a while.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ok, well I appreciate the input. Im thinking that buying riding shoes to double as daily shoes is probably a bad idea. Like I said, I was worried about wearing them out in everyday walking around. But after reading this, and further consideration I think Im just going to get regular shoes for everyday use and a pair of riding shoes with ankle protection like stated above.

Purplehaze, I dont drag my feet, my shoes are worn out from all around being rough on them.

I've always just slipped my tennis shoes on, after thinking about it, if a use a pair of riding shoes as everyday use I would not be able to do that anymore and I dont like tying my shoes every time i put them on. I think I will just get in the habit of changing shoes when i ride.
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I wore everything but boots. I got in a bad motorcycle accident in 2005. I no longer have a right foot. I guess I should have worn boots... jus' sayin' :donno:

Comment

Riding boots is what I use, picked up these all most new from
                  someone who was getting out of riding. Got them for a good price and
                  easy on the wallet.. And they are comfortable when walking around
                  and also have vented slots so are cooler to wear on those hot summer days.

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/sidi/Sportbike Track Gear is the #1 online eCommerce site for protective motorcycle apparel and performance parts. Buy popu...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I wear field sheer full race boots.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yah im thinking I'm just going to get regular tennis shoes, and some boots but the boots you wear are outside of my preference. I would want something more like a plain black leather boot. Almost like combat boots but designed for riding, and preferably comfortable to walk alot in.
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Yeah, kind of weird walking in them.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Well I picked up those for like $ 60.00 ,you can say I jumped all over that deal but I wear my jean's over top of them so it doesn't look like your wearing sidi racing boots ( if you know what I mean) but you still have that great protection and they are pretty comfortable. I never really looked into what boots the Harley guys wear or shoes for that matter. I do own safety shoes but they give little protection for the ankles and none for the shins.
                          Saftey boots are better and a little more affordable. Depending what kind of work you do most company's buy them for you, around here you get a slip for the boot truck and have your pick of safety shoes or boots..

Comment

I picked up a set of Alpinestars Fast Lane shoes earlier this summer and they've held up well the past 2,000 miles. I change into other shoes at the office but sometimes forget and wear this for a few hours, they're actually that comfortable. I think they look decent and have no problem wearing them out in public.

Comment

Might check out CraigsList. A friend hooked me up with a very lightly used, $500 pair of Sidi boots for $90 cash. They're incredible, and a bit better than the $35 sports store boots I still use.

I only wear them for longer outings, so far preferring the softer, crappy boots for going to work, but I might see how much of a pain the race boots are. More protection = more better.

Comment

Working...
                              X