X

awwwww snap!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
    Thanks to all in the Kat family!! I have one question .. is it ok to run octane 93 in my bike instead of 87?
    Oh, it's okay, just a MASSIVE waste of money. I've found that both of my Kats run BETTER on 87. I'm sure others will chime in with more technical reasons, but trust me, just stick with the 87 octane. I tried 92 octane, if it wasn't for the cost of it, I would have poured it along side the road where the bike started acting like ****. Rode it out 'till I got home, put the stuff in my lawn mower and put a tank of 87 in.
    sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
    2004 Katana 600 - Gone
    2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
      Oh, it's okay, just a MASSIVE waste of money. I've found that both of my Kats run BETTER on 87. I'm sure others will chime in with more technical reasons, but trust me, just stick with the 87 octane. I tried 92 octane, if it wasn't for the cost of it, I would have poured it along side the road where the bike started acting like ****. Rode it out 'till I got home, put the stuff in my lawn mower and put a tank of 87 in.
      If you want a technical reason, the higher the octane the slower the burn. Essentially the Kat would run rich, and you would carbon up the cylinder and the valves, and possibly foul spark plugs.

Comment

Ok ,.because that's what I was hearing people say about the 87.... Fouling plugs and stuff
        "Oh I will tag you back !!"

Comment

Lols....they are full of it if that's what they think. Fouling plugs because their carbs are out of whack. Kat's are designed to run on 87 octane. Unless you build the **** out of the motor, there is no reason or benefit to running anything higher.

Hell, my fuel injected 2009 FZ6 is spec'd for 87 octane also.

Comment

They also say it will clean everything out lol

Thanks Kat Family for giving me the right info...
            Last edited by Major Voltron; 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I didn't know there was a motorcycle permit o.0 do you not take msf for it?

Comment

I just went to the dmv to take the written test for the permit .. just so I can start getting use to my bike . Then really soon I am going to take my msf course.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFetus View Post
                  I didn't know there was a motorcycle permit o.0 do you not take msf for it?
                  In KY, you have to have your permit in order to take the MSF beginners course. If you pass your MSF class, they waive the driving section of the license test and you can get your full license.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

They also say it will clean everything out...
                    That part is sometimes actually true. Some gas stations put extra detergents in their gas, labeling it "premium". It's got the same effect as running some Seafoam in the tank. It washes off some of the deposits from dried up fuel.

The really tricky thing about it is that the detergents burn slower than gas, effectively raising the octane of the fuel mix. The fuel depot can mix detergents into lower octane fuel to raise the octane level and the marketing department takes over from there, labeling it "premium" and selling you on the idea that it's better for your engine since it's higher octane (associated with high performance/high compression engines) AND cleans your engine.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ahh ....so there basically lying to you ...just to get your money . I would like to ride to work today . But don't know if I should . After all I do have ny permit lol...

Comment

Ahh ....so there basically lying to you ...just to get your money . I would like to ride to work today . But don't know if I should . After all I do have ny permit lol...
                        It's called "Maaarketttting"

I know that everywhere I've ever lived, a learner's permit still requires you to have a licensed rider, usually someone over 21 riding with you. I guess the idea is that you should have a mentor/coach handy to help you learn safely. After all, the whole point of a learner's permit is to give you a chance to learn how not to be a menace to yourself or others. For a little while, I'd suggest you pick your riding times based on traffic. The fewer distractions you have, the more you can concentrate on controlling the bike. Don't rush it. Focus on those skills that will keep you alive before putting yourself in a situation where you're going to really need them.

...dang, I sound old, huh? Won't be too much longer before my oldest will be learning to drive.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

oh ok then lol... gotta find someone to ride with me then

Comment

Need to find some riding buddies that's don't mind having a rookie with them ..

Comment

Need to find some riding buddies that's don't mind having a rookie with them ..
                              Heavens no, HELLS YEAH! Grats on the permit.

One thing about riding with friends is that no one cares about that someone is a "rookie". We were all at one point in time; i mean its not like we wake up one morning, buy a bike and take it out knee down out of the dealer. Me and my friends welcome new riders to our little wolf pack, better break them in right rather than reading about them in the paper.

Comment

Originally posted by gsx View Post
                                ...its not like we wake up one morning, buy a bike and take it out knee down out of the dealer...
                                Well... Some guys do. There's plenty of videos on Youtube of guys wrecking in the first 50 yards after buying a bike.

...but you're not gonna be one of those idiots, are you? Didn't think so.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                                X