X

Idling Issue and Steering Lock Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling Issue and Steering Lock Issue

I just bought a 1995 Katana 600. I'm having 2 issues with it right now that I wanted to get some information about. I've tried searching but I can't really find anything on either.

The first issue is when my bike is in Idle. I turn my bike on with the choke open and it starts up fine. I'll let it run for about 15 minutes to get up to running temperature but when I close my choke it starts running below 1k rpms. From what I was told it should be running at about 1300-1700. Another weird issue is when I do have the choke open partially when I turn my wheel to the left the RPMS will jump to 4k but when I have it straight they'll be sitting around 1500. Don't know if this is necessarily a mechanical issue or just some weird irk.

The second issue I'm having is with my steering wheel lock. The guy I bought it from seemed to be able to lock it but when I try I just can't get it. I turn my wheel as far to the left as possible and attempt to lock it. I push the key down as hard as I can, and actually have tried with varying pressure but I can't quite seem to get it into the locked position. When my handlebars are turned all the way left, they are actually being pressed against my gas tank. When turned all the way right though they come nowhere near it. I don't know if this is actually the issue but I figured it might be the reason that it won't lock, if they tank is preventing them from being turned all the way to the left.

Anyways, thank you in advance for the help or advice. It's always appreciated.

You have a locking handle bar? This is news to me. I have a 96 and I had no idea that it locked.
    Next, my bike idles around 1200 since I let someone else tune my carbs after a motor swap. Before I did the motor swap it idled lower, like around 900. Honestly, I liked it better before but the Suzuki Dealer ship tuned it this time so I'm not too concerned. Its definitly more responsive but its sort of annoying.
    The turning the steering wheel causing the motor to rev could be because its pulling your throttle cable. Just a guess??? I dont know. Thats strange.

If your handle bar is touching on one side the steering stem could be bent. If the bike was layed down hard that could be a reason. On the other hand, it could be as simple as your bar end is pulled out alittle too far. Thats a easy fix. Loosen the screws and push it in some and retighten. I also have noticed my friends Katana has bar end protectors on his bike. His bar ends touch his gas tank were as mine do not.

Hope you get things figured out. Take it easy.
    Last edited by katanarider; 02-12-2011, 03:40 AM.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

When fully warmed up and with the choke off, it should idle at around 1100 rpms +/- 100. There should be an idle adjustment cable on the left side of the bike, near the carbs so that you can adjust them. If that doesn't work, you will need to have the carbs cleaned.

You generally should not need to use choke for more than 1 min. If you can't keep the bike running without choke after one min of running, you are back to needing the clean the carbs. This would explain why it is idling slow as well (same issue).

If your left handle can touch the gas tank, then... 1. Your handle bar is bent or 2. Your stearing stop is broken. If the stearing stop is broken, then there is nothing to prevent the front from being turned too far. This would account for an issue with the stearing lock.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

as far as the lock, mines a little newer but it may still apply, i have a 2000 katana 600 and when i lock my bars i have to turn all the way to the left then come back to the right 1 or 2 inches for the key to go in all the way and allow me to lock it. sometimes i have to play with it a little bit to get it to go so mabye give that a try

Comment

The idle changing when you turn the bars is definitely a matter of the throttle cable being routed wrong. Sometimes it's something as simple as being on the wrong side of the brake hose. Fiddle with it a bit and you should be able to find the sweet spot.

Like Kreylyn said, the idle is supposed to be set at about 1100 rpms when the engine is fully warmed up. Note that this is not after it's been idling for a few minutes. This is after you've run the bike around for a mile or two. i toss a philips-head screwdriver in the tank bag and go somewhere. When I get there I adjust the idle before shutting off the engine.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
          X