X

Looking for first time gear...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for first time gear...

Hey everyone. Brand new rider, with a Katana 600 here. I haven't made any introduction yet as I'm really not riding much more than the parking lot across the street.

Long story short....I'm looking for the utmost safety in gear, however I do want to remain somewhat fashionable (does that sound gay or what...). Anyway, I really like the Joe Rocket Textile jackets. I've been looking around and tried some things on. Problem, or where my confusion lies is that I am almost 6'3" and very slender. The Large sizes seems to be really short in the arms and torso area, as I have a long torso...yet with the XL the elbow padding doesn't feel like it sits where it is supposed to. Do they make a "tall" size in textile or mesh/hybrid jackets?

as with most stuff sizing is as different as manufacturers
    do cheap out , I did it last year on helmet
    The helmet lasted me less than a year
    I bought a much better one , and it fits so much better than the cheap one ever did
    Doesnt look like joe rocket offers tall until you get into 3xl , eat up sucka

Google "textile large tall"
    Last edited by rexazz2; 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM.
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I think he means DON'T cheap out on gear. I heard some great advice a while ago though...

Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
      Nuff said.

Comment

Nice...dress for the crash not the ride, I like it man!

Comment

I don't know if all JR gear is the same but the armor plates in my jacket can be adjusted to rest higher or lower on the arm. Look for small velcro strips inside the arm of the coat.

And wanting to look fashionable isn't gay. Describing yourself as "slender" is though.

Anyhow- good luck finding the right gear, and welcome to KR!

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
          -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Slender? I'm 6' 135# so I'm with you bro.

Fulmer Shaman M
            Joe Rocket jacket S
            JR Ballistic gloves S
            Kevlar reinforced riding jeans 30/32

These work for me.

It really does help to go to a dealer and try some stuff on just to see how it fits you.

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post

And wanting to look fashionable isn't gay. Describing yourself as "slender" is though.
              Nice catch...Ba Zing!

Well...I've tried on some things at a couple different shops now and really like the JR UFO jacket, but I think I've seen a few others that seem a bit safer. Not going to really be riding until after next weekend anyway, so I have some time to shop around and get what works best. So far though I am working with an HJC IS-16 Helmet.

Comment

Some people may disagree with me, but if you're just screwing around in a parking lot practicing at very low speeds, you're probably alright with your helmet, gloves, jeans, and any reasonably thick long sleeve shirt- like a hoodie or something. Besides, worst case scenario you gt a little rash...and chicks dig scars.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

If price isn't a problem go with leathers. They tend to be cut for the more "slender" people and will probably fit better than a text or mesh jacket.

just don't be afraid of your gear fitting tight. It's supposed to so it doesn't move when you crash. It should be tight without being restrictive.

Comment

Well welcome

I myself am tall and thin: 6'3 1/2 @ 175 lbs. I have a Joe Rocket 'Lucky' jacket (textile) in XL. Absolutely love it and fits great! Plus I can zip off the sleeves just above the elbow exposing the mesh underneath. Nice option on those hot days yet it still allows you to keep the elbow and shoulder protectors in the jacket.
                    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

I'm new to riding this year as well and I am tall and lanky so finding gear wasn't easy. After trying on some of the JR stuff I ended up (not really on purpose) buying all Scorpion Gear Mesh with padded elbows, spine, shoulder, hips and knees. I needed something with zip out layers since it can go from 12-30 degrees Celsius in a matter of a day here in Alberta. The jacket fits great, the pants could be longer, and I am not really happy with the helmet (Scorpion Exo 700 Burst). Way to much road noise. Head to toe (no boots) cost me $888 CAD.

Comment

I have an ICON leather jacket, Joe rocket mesh, HJC helmet and Icon gloves.

I'll say I've tride a lot of jackets and I think ICON is the best fitting jacket that allows the most air through. GREAT JACKET
                        All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.

Comment

Alpinestars!

Man I started with Alpinestars boots and the fam pulled together and got me a Alpinestars RC-1 jacket. Honestly, before I even wanted to ride Alpinestars gear always looked cool.

Not skull and bones cool, but I look like I'm going fast even though I'm really just stopped at a light. If you're single the chicks dig design and logos. I'm married so I just play with the throttle and look straight.

Of course I'm finding out very fast that cool lookin good sh*t cost money. Good to save and purchase that way you'll be happier.

OH YEAH! Big one! The safer you feel the more confident you'll ride!

Have fun shopping!
                          Car please stop wasting my time and use your blinker!

Comment

gear

i have joe rocket Alter ego pants and jacket, the jacket is a large and the arms are a little short( i should have opted for the large/tall) now you can only get the alter ego 2.0. this jacket is a textile jacket that has a layer you can remove and then it's a mesh jacket. i've worn it in 0 and 100 degree weather.
                            98 GSX750F Kat
                            07 GSF1250S Bandit (her's)

Comment

Working...
                            X