X

Need for primer sealer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need for primer sealer?

If the there is still paint on the fairings, and I haven't had to sand down to bare plastic, do I need primer / sealer / adhesion promoter?

I think I've convinced myself to bite the bullet, pick up a cheap HVLP gun and try my luck on my two spare / trashed fairings.

No rash, they are broken in spots, so it should be minimal prep.

I'm gonna go look at paint today and pick up the gun as well.

As long as there is still paint on the fairings, you wont "need" primer.

But... due to the color variances (from sanding), it may not be a bad idea to just primer the parts so you wont have to do as many coats of the new paint. Primer is cheaper than paint.

Plus, if you sand too far in some places and hit plastic, you're going to have to primer it anyways and the time/money saved not primering the entire piece is probably negligible.

And the benefit of primer is it does act like a filler for minor imperfections in the painting surface.

Comment

bare plastic
      yes
      primer/seal it
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post
        And the benefit of primer is it does act like a filler for minor imperfections in the painting surface.
        Providing you sand the entire primed surface after each coat of primer.

I recommend using the sealer primer on any spots of bare plastic so the grey primer and paint don't furr up. Make sure you sand the entire painted surface you will be priming with at least a 400grit sandpaper. At minimum, I suggest at least one heavy coat of grey primer and one light coating after you sand the first coat. After you sand the second coat (using at least 600grit dry) I suggest a good wet sanding of the entire surface and proper dust prep with a special paint prep cleaner solution.

You'll be impressed with the results if you follow these steps.
        My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

I thought we talked about this already at length? Do whatever the paint system you buy says to do. 95% of the time you should be okay just scuff sanding the old paint and going right over top of that....
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            I thought we talked about this already at length? Do whatever the paint system you buy says to do. 95% of the time you should be okay just scuff sanding the old paint and going right over top of that....
            Exactly. But every paint place I talk to tries to sell me the primer / sealer for that line of paint...instead of giving me the info on whether it's required or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
              Exactly. But every paint place I talk to tries to sell me the primer / sealer for that line of paint...instead of giving me the info on whether it's required or not.
              I used color rite paints for that exact reason... you'll get everything that you need for the job, in the correct quantity. The paint is slightly more expensive, but you'll save in not having to buy gallons of other products.

We painted colorrite paints right on top of 97 factory suzuki paint that had been wet sanded... no problems, looks great. Didn't even use the primer.... so.... is that enough of an answer?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah sometimes paint jobers can be a royal pain in the ***. Some base coats do need to be primed first no mater what you are spraying them over, period that is how that manufacturer designed it. But PPG and Dupont make paint systems that can be painted over factory paint, hell their Psheets even say it.

So depending on what system you are using follow their directions. I personaly go down to plastic and use a flexible filler primer. Then I use a sealer primer. Then onto base coat and then clearcoat. But if you dont want to go that route cause damn does it take a long time just scuff, and rattle can it or if you insist on using a gun then just get the right stuff. I always ask for the paint manufacturers Psheets.

Comment

Working...
                X