Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How to lower the rear on an 82 Maxim 550?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lower the rear on an 82 Maxim 550?

Does anybody know the best way to lower the rear suspension on a 82 maxim 550. looks to me that the only way is to cut the springs....not sure if this is a good idea or if this is the correct step to take. Also if I do so the bike will be much lower to the ground than factory...should I extend the swing arm for more stability? If anyone has answers to this thank you.

Originally posted by jiver06 View Post
    Does anybody know the best way to lower the rear suspension on a 82 maxim 550. looks to me that the only way is to cut the springs....not sure if this is a good idea or if this is the correct step to take. Also if I do so the bike will be much lower to the ground than factory...should I extend the swing arm for more stability? If anyone has answers to this thank you.

Buy shorter shocks. A set of 10.5" shocks is probably as low as you'd want to go. You shouldn't find any stability problems.

You can find 10.5" shocks on ebay, usually marketed to Sportsters (you may have to grind a little from the bottom mount to make them fit).
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thanks,

I will look into lowering the springs some time soon.

Comment

i just traded my 81 550 for an 89 f150..sucks getting rid of it (first bike) lots of memories on that thing...so underpowered though!
        Originally posted by Slofuze:
        Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

Working...
        X