X

harness getting hot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harness getting hot

imma put a post up on this cause ive been flooding cyberpoet's inbox...sorry

cyberpoet has walked me threw fixing my headlights. the previous owner had car headlights in there and it melted the sockets and fried a female connector. i tried to replace the connector but couldnt find one small enough so i bypassed the harness and coneected the one wire with a snap connector and then there was light

while giveing the lights a once over they went out so i jiggled things around and tracked down the loose wire to the black harness comeing from the starter switch/engine stop switch. it was also getting fairly hot, i smelt the harness and it smells like it might have been burning, or at one time may have been burnt. im not sure exactly which wire was causeing the problem but ive spent some time with the wireing diagram and there is only one wire that leads to the headlight harness, which is marked in red.

the bulbs that are in there are 60/55

here is the wiring diagram the one wire is marked in red http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l.../98_wiring.jpg
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

OK...But you didn't ask a question. Not that I could solve your problem anyway. However, are you looking for a new harness, or looking to track down the wiring?
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

o sorry i thought the question was obvious, the right bulbs are in there so why would the harness get hot? especially in a harness that has very little to do with the lights.
      99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
      06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
      06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
      lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

I'm having problems with my wiring harness too...well...basically the headlight socket. A few months back my headlight wire socket melted on the back 3 prongs of the bulb. I had to go on a poker run that day and had to make a quick fix, so I went to AutoZone and bought a 2 pack of headlight wiring harnesses. Hooked it up and the headlight worked fine!

About 6 hours later, I smelled melting plastic and looking at the harness...it had melted on the 3 prongs again! I changed the harness out to the other one the day later and it worked for about 4 weeks...then same thing

Anyone know what would cause the wiring harness for the headlight to melt on the prongs of the headlight like that? Could it be a bare wire grounding out somewhere? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
        PJ

Comment

Too big of wattage bulb?
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by 96gsxohio View Post
            I'm having problems with my wiring harness too...well...basically the headlight socket. A few months back my headlight wire socket melted on the back 3 prongs of the bulb. I had to go on a poker run that day and had to make a quick fix, so I went to AutoZone and bought a 2 pack of headlight wiring harnesses. Hooked it up and the headlight worked fine!

About 6 hours later, I smelled melting plastic and looking at the harness...it had melted on the 3 prongs again! I changed the harness out to the other one the day later and it worked for about 4 weeks...then same thing

Anyone know what would cause the wiring harness for the headlight to melt on the prongs of the headlight like that? Could it be a bare wire grounding out somewhere? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
            PJ
            Poor connection/ground somewhere that is causing an increase in resistance (resistance = heat) in the ciruit, and the harness is the weakest link.

Trace/clean all connections.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I will check the bulb and connections as well. Thanks for the input.

Was hoping others had the same exact problem and could trace it to a common cause, but this is definitely a great start!

Comment

Ok, the bulb is "Super Spots H4 12V 60/55W P43T" and should be fine. The wire harness on the other hand is just not working out. Anyone know the nomenclature of have a schematic that I can order a new one from?

I still have to get a multimeter to check voltage to check the wires. Pictures below (sorry they are darker, but it's from my phone). Hopefully someone will recognize they had the same issue and can help point to a certain area.

Comment

Working...
                X