X

My First Near Accident

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Near Accident

I'm getting on the freeway and instantly get squished between a bunch of semi-trucks. Luckily, I'm on a little bike and can squeeze into tiny spaces.

I'd been following a guy in a Grand Cherokee for a while. I carefully get over into the middle lane, squeezing in between two semi's, when all of a sudden, the guy in the Cherokee, decides to change lanes, as well, except right into me.

I was already planning on getting into the far left lane, but ended up having to do it more quickly.

Afterwards, I see a person in the far right lane staring at me, mouthing some gibberish and shake his head. I assumed he was saying how stupid some people can be. I nodded and agreed.

On a separate subject, I hit 120mph on the freeway coming home. That's a record, so far.

Was your left thumb hoovering over the horn button? It should have been...

Glad to hear you're in 1 piece.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I didn't have time to honk. But, if I was in a cage, I would have been all over it. Probably rammed him back, too, because my car is a POS.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Was your left thumb hoovering over the horn button? It should have been...
        I've learned this defensive move in my 2 months on the KAT. Whenever I approach a situation where someone could be looking right through me or not looking my thumb assumes the postition. I've only had to use it once so far. A woman started to change lanes into me on the "highway" (we call them back east). I hit the horn.. She jumped in her seat so high she yanked her mini van back into it's original lane..
        2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
        Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
        2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

the stock horn is pretty weak, a pair of freeway blasters or an airhorn will be more noticeable. use a relay and take power straight form the battery.

but you've ALWAYS gotta act like you're invisible, even if you're wearing hi-vis clothing and have a modulating headlight... some a-hole is gonna cut you off, merge into your space or turn/pull out in front of you.

if you watch drivers, you can predict the stupid chit they're going to do... give yourself a little more room and plan an escape route to get out of trouble.

sometimes the way out is simply to drop a gear and gas it.
          KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Getting "sandwiched" between 18 wheelers and other vehicles, is nothing but a recipe for disaster. Always try to avoid these situations. Good job avoiding the one you were in, and am glad you made it out OK. It's a cruel "motorcycle" world out there.....so please be careful all!
            It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

That's bogus. I had a chick cut me off last week and give me the finger afterwards like I was the d*pshiate that almost caused the accident.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I remember my first Interstate drive, I about got smashed about 4 or 5 different times.

Last week I was going for an afternoon spin and I was just right outside of town about to go around a realy shard curve called K's Corner. Well, theres a road that connect to the backside of the curve, and a butthole just flies straight accross the curve and never even looked into my direction. I usually take that curve pretty fast, but for some reason I had a funny fealing, so I took it pretty slow, its a good thing I did.

Anyways, that was my most recent near death experience, well besides the golen lab that ran out in front of me last Friday afternoon.
                Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

I had a guy last week back out of his driveway on a riding lawnmower and he was moving. I had my wife on the back for the 1st time. I hit the horn and that guy jumped so quick he almost fell off the mower. I had to swerve to miss him.
                  John 3:16

Comment

Last year some guy in a POS Ford Ranger looked at my nephew and I and THEN pulled out in front of us. Both of us got on the brakes hard but still almost T-Boned him. He just looked at us and smiled. We knew at that point he intentionally did it to try to hit us. I almost turned around and went after him. After that, I don't trust ANYTHING with more than 2 wheels on the road.
                    Who brought the retarded kid?

Comment

Originally posted by bswasey
                      Last year some guy in a POS Ford Ranger ...
                      Hey, man, you saying a Ranger is a POS???? :P
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

This one was! Nothing like a full paint job with $10 of Walmart brand spray paint. It also had as much rust as the Titanic. ANd I'm sorry, but yes, all late 80's early nineties Rangers are POSs

Comment

Originally posted by bswasey
                          ANd I'm sorry, but yes, all late 80's early nineties Rangers are POSs
                          It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Seen crazy cager moves over the years. Not only do I hover over the horn like cyberpoet, but have also learned to flash the pass lights when coming into intersection. You will be surprised to see how many drivers take notice when you do that. I know at least twice in the last 3 weeks that move has prevented ppl from pulling out in front of me.

Next move will be louder horn on my Kat just for these reasons.
                            If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

I see cagers do lots of crazy, unpredicable things. I also found the best way to make someone VERY VERY irrate is to actually drive the speed limit! Last year we had a woman up here pull a U turn on I-295. She caused 6 other cars to slam into each other and she drove away like nothing happened. After they found her, they found out she had a driving record that was somewhere around 30 violations! Some people are bad drivers, and others are just plain ignorant and inconsiderant of others around them.

Comment

Working...
                              X