X

Katana replacement?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana replacement?

I really like the ride and fit of the Katana (I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs). However, it's very high maintenance for someone that doesn't have very frequent opportunities to ride (when I do get it running and can ride frequently it does pretty good, but if it sits very long it's bad news). What are some more modern fuel injected bikes that I could look at as replacements that are similar, but lower maintenance/can tolerate sitting a month or 2 between rides?

I really like the looks and specs on the Ninja 300, but they look very low (I've not been able to get ahold of one for test fit). I don't need much power (and better MPG is a consideration), but I'm thinking a 250 might just be a bit too low on power. Open to pretty much any bike as long as it's not a Harley or Honda...

Maybe a ninja 650?
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

I just sat on a bunch of bikes at a couple different dealers. I'm also 6'2", 34" inseam.
      Fuel injected is definitely going to be the way to go.
      I found the v Strom (650 and 1000) comfy enough. Super tenre was slightly cramped, fjr 1300 was super comfy but engine heat on that year (...2010?) was directed at my shins, kinda toasty. Bandit 1250, legs were little too folded up. VFR1000 was reasonably comfy. Bmw GS and GSA super comfy but dear god are they expensive. Tested out an older 1600 top of the line BMW touring bike - even though the bike was much lower, it was still very comfy. Honda nc700 wasn't comfy. Sv650 isn't comfy for legs or forward lean. Ninja 650 same thing.

End of the day, go find a dealer that let's you sit on bikes and put your butt on as many as you can. It's all about fit and personal preference.
      After riding or sitting on all of those, I'm getting another katana. But I ride every day, so don't have to worry about carbs gumming up...

Good luck with looking around!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

How about the 650 kat? I'm thinking about an addition.. unless I can find a VFR or an RF.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I have been riding motorcycles for over two decades, I ride a 2004 Ninja 250 for most of my commutes in NYC. It has plenty of power if you know how to use it, still can easily overtake 90% of other vehicles on the street, even at highway speed. The key is to know how to use it.
          Maintenance wise, even though carburated, Ninja 250 is still one of the easier bike operate and maintain. I've had mine since 2010, only had to clean the carbs once.

Sure there are plenty other options available, even Hondas make plenty of nice bikes that may suit you.

You need to be more specific about your needs for your next bike.
          Are you looking to take long trips?
          What are the typical rides going to be?
          Plan on carrying significant luggage?
          Plan on carrying a passenger?
          ABS necessary?

Comment

+1 ninja 250s are actually pretty comfy and relatively upright. Although I wouldn't entirely agree on easy to work on, valve adjustments suck if you have large hands.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              How about the 650 kat? I'm thinking about an addition.. unless I can find a VFR or an RF.
              No 650 Kat... (I know there is a section here for it, and it's used like... never. )

Never branded kat, and even though it has the gsxf moniker... it's a full fairing-ed bandit 650 water cooled bike.

Jus sayn...

That said, the new GSX-S models have my attention. Much closer to a modern "kat" comparatively, as they are GSXR power trains with a more upright seating position, and now available in a full fairing model on the 1k version, probably wont' be long for the 750 to have that option too.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I realize it's not a "katana" but, it has to be placed somewhere. Bandit, GSXR, GSX.... it's close eough to a katana....detuned GSXR motor....blah, blah..a kat...
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
                  Are you looking to take long trips?
                  What are the typical rides going to be?
                  Plan on carrying significant luggage?
                  Plan on carrying a passenger?
                  ABS necessary?
                  No long trips.

My typical ride is the 19 minute ride to work. I've never gone over 30 minutes away from home by bike, but if it was something I could go an hour out that'd be nice (it's rare, but on occasion I head to another town an hour out, but have always gone by car).

No luggage, I'm always able to get everything I need in my pockets.

No passengers.

ABS not strictly necessary, but I sure would like to have it. Insurance with ABS is SOOOO much cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE View Post
                    No long trips.

My typical ride is the 19 minute ride to work. I've never gone over 30 minutes away from home by bike, but if it was something I could go an hour out that'd be nice (it's rare, but on occasion I head to another town an hour out, but have always gone by car).

No luggage, I'm always able to get everything I need in my pockets.

No passengers.

ABS not strictly necessary, but I sure would like to have it. Insurance with ABS is SOOOO much cheaper!
                    With those criteria, doesn't seem to me that you need much more bike than Ninja 250.

BTW, my used 04 Ninja 250 cost me $850 to purchase back in 2010, with 8k miles on odometer; $35/year for liability insurance, fuel/oil/filter and repeat since 2010..
                    26k miles on my Ninja 250 now, still OEM chain/sprockets...
                    I did replace OEM tires back in 2013 and likely to put on my second set of tires along with replacement chain/sprockets later this month.

I use it mostly as a commuter between NJ and NYC, about 16 mile one-way, but the most congested traffic.

About twice a month I ride it 120 mile one-way from NJ to PA on highway, NJ and PA Turnpk, likely the busiest highways in the nation. 85-95 mph, little 250 engine reving at 11-12k rpm.. never a problem.

Last edited by "K"; 08-15-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

+1
                      Maybe a ninja 300 if you want fuel injected.
                      Do any of the 300s have abs as an option? Probably not being a budget bike, but I'm not sure.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Or an R3. I think they look better.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
                          About twice a month I ride it 120 mile one-way from NJ to PA on highway, NJ and PA Turnpk, likely the busiest highways in the nation.
                          Not even close - you need to go to California and drive I-5, I-405, etc. to experience the busiest roads in the US.
                          2005 Katana 750

Comment

Psssh, the 91 is hell 24/7 and widened to 6 lanes. 57 @ 5pm would make you harm someone. The traffic here is insane. I will not go anywhere near LA during the morning through 7pm.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Bay area is getting to be just as bad as LA. Not sure how accurate is it, but an area called the maze was recently named worst traffic in the country. Dunno if that's accurate, but it's damn sure in the running.
                              Highways 580, 880, 80, 13, 24, and 980 all come together in a few mile stretch. 2 miles if not counting highway 13. All parking lots during commute time. 880 and 80 are parkig lots literally half the day any day of the week.

Anyways, a small nimble bike can work in those conditions if you're lane splitting. If you're not, you'd probably even more want something smaller and lighter cause stop and go traffic on 2 wheels without lane splitting sucks on heavy bikes. And you'd want water cooled.

OP is from Ohio, so no lane splitting.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                              X