Raising the rear PRE 750 r6 shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising the rear PRE 750 r6 shock

Hi Bikes almost ready for the street and now its time to to work out
    the bugs. Installed 08-09 r6 shock which is approx. 3/4inch shorter then the stock. lowering the rear about 1inch which under load translates to less then 3inch ground clearance which is just a little to close for comfort.
    Anyone had any experience using shorter dog bones with the r6 shock?
    Short of that it ether back to the stock or something longer busa, B12, post,
    etc. I know there's a guy on the site that makes custom dog bones, normally
    to lower the bike but just looking for some input.
    would really hate to lose the r6 shock because it works so good and clears the battery box with no mods.
    Richard
    96 Suzuki GSX750F
    89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
    05 Yamaha WR450F
    05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Ne-oublie custom makes the dogbones, maybe he can make a set shorter (to raise the height.)

Comment

Just E-mailed him that would be the simple way to go.
      96 Suzuki GSX750F
      05 Yamaha WR450F
      05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

The spring is probably too close to the swingarm to use shorter dogbones to raise it. Take a look, and try to envision the change it would bring..... I'm pretty sure you'll reach the same conclusion.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
          The spring is probably too close to the swingarm to use shorter dogbones to raise it. Take a look, and try to envision the change it would bring..... I'm pretty sure you'll reach the same conclusion.
          Hmmmm! just took a look at it your probably right. Thanks for the heads up.
          maybe looking for a different shock. Might try and mock up some temp shorter dog bone just to test it out, not to ride but for visual. still might clear but under load still could be a problem hmmm.
          I know you went with a zx14 shock that raised the rear what 1 1/2 to 2 inches? any thoughts on adding lowering link to that combo?
          Thanks Richard
          96 Suzuki GSX750F
          05 Yamaha WR450F
          05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ep87 View Post
            Hmmmm! just took a look at it your probably right. Thanks for the heads up.
            maybe looking for a different shock. Might try and mock up some temp shorter dog bone just to test it out, not to ride but for visual. still might clear but under load still could be a problem hmmm.
            I know you went with a zx14 shock that raised the rear what 1 1/2 to 2 inches? any thoughts on adding lowering link to that combo?
            Thanks Richard
            Lowering from a higher shock is definitely doable. The longer dogbones take the swingarm away from the shock a bit, so there are no clearance problems.

Plus then you could have a set made with a couple of different heights, depending on what you want. I would like to have a set of dogbones made up so I could have the tail up for quick handling, or stock height for cruising, or really low for the dragstrip.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              Lowering from a higher shock is definitely doable. The longer dogbones take the swingarm away from the shock a bit, so there are no clearance problems.

Plus then you could have a set made with a couple of different heights, depending on what you want. I would like to have a set of dogbones made up so I could have the tail up for quick handling, or stock height for cruising, or really low for the dragstrip.
              That maybe the answer. spring rate and damping wise how did the zx14
              shock stack up? I can't remember did you have to clearance the battery box and what year did you use?
              Thanks Richard
              96 Suzuki GSX750F
              05 Yamaha WR450F
              05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Rate and damping wise it feels fine...... the front end is stock (soft) and the back end matches (soft)...... The battery box was close, but I didn't move it. My battery box is completely different now, though, so I can't really be of much help. I have barely ridden the thing at all since putting that shock on (it's been in pieces most of the time), so I'm probably not the best person to ask (though I may be the only one.... I haven't seen a ZX14 shock on anybody else's). I think the shock is an 07, but I really don't remember. I don't think they really changed at all, though.

BTW- the bottom of the spring collar is SO incredibly close to the knuckle. Like, the thickness of a piece of paper away, and then only by lining up the notch in the collar with the knuckle. I would recommend taking a file to the collar, just to open up a little more space. Luckily, it's only that close if it's completely unloaded (on the center stand, etc), but I would still clearance it a little bit.

Comment

Or you can try the Bandit 1200 shock. I know it raised my 91 Kat 600 @ 2" and it made the bike a lot more stable. Not to mention it did help make turn in quicker...which I really like.

Straight bolt up no mods whatsoever.

Comment

What ever I do I'd like to end up with probably no more then 1 inch higher under load then stock. The front forks have been rebuilt and I've added the appropriate race tech spring for my weight and stepped up the fluid wt.
                    so the front end is quite a bit stiffer the stock. I just need to find something
                    to complement the front with out altering the height to much.
                    Richard
                    96 Suzuki GSX750F
                    05 Yamaha WR450F
                    05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

What ever I do I'd like to end up with probably no more then 1 inch higher under load then stock. The front forks have been rebuilt and I've added the appropriate race tech spring for my weight and stepped up the fluid wt.
                      so the front end is quite a bit stiffer the stock. I just need to find something
                      to complement the front with out altering the height to much.
                      Richard
                      What is the max amount you are looking to spend on the rear setup?

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                        What is the max amount you are looking to spend on the rear setup?

Tmod
                        Well like most as little as possible, but I want some decent results.
                        Considering I've already got a r6 shock I've got a few buck tied up
                        into it already. but I knew from the get go that ride height might be
                        a issue. What do you have in mind?
                        Richard
                        96 Suzuki GSX750F
                        05 Yamaha WR450F
                        05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Well like most as little as possible, but I want some decent results.
                          Considering I've already got a r6 shock I've got a few buck tied up
                          into it already. but I knew from the get go that ride height might be
                          a issue. What do you have in mind?
                          Richard
                          GSXFJim has the GSXR 1100 shock on his and it raised it about 1" as the c to c is 310mm, Compared to the B12 shock at 320mm and the Hayabusa at 340mm. He seems very happy with the shock and when I rebuilt the shock I also put a Hayabusa spring on it as they are stiffer than the stock GSXR 1100 spring. The spring is still a little on the weak side for him so the spring selection would really depend on what you weigh. The adjustments on the GSXR 1100 shock are not close to the R6 shock but as long as the valving is good you don't need all that adjustment anyways.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                            GSXFJim has the GSXR 1100 shock on his and it raised it about 1" as the c to c is 310mm, Compared to the B12 shock at 320mm and the Hayabusa at 340mm. He seems very happy with the shock and when I rebuilt the shock I also put a Hayabusa spring on it as they are stiffer than the stock GSXR 1100 spring. The spring is still a little on the weak side for him so the spring selection would really depend on what you weigh. The adjustments on the GSXR 1100 shock are not close to the R6 shock but as long as the valving is good you don't need all that adjustment anyways.

Tmod
                            Hmmm! that might be the way to go. I checked e-bay and there plentiful
                            and cheap. any year I should be looking for? I'm 225Lbs what would you charge for the rebuild etc. also any fitment issues? battery box etc.
                            Richard
                            96 Suzuki GSX750F
                            05 Yamaha WR450F
                            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm! that might be the way to go. I checked e-bay and there plentiful
                              and cheap. any year I should be looking for? I'm 225Lbs what would you charge for the rebuild etc. also any fitment issues? battery box etc.
                              Richard
                              I think you are looking for the GSXR1000 shock, I am suggesting the GSXR1100 shock. Here is a image and they say they removed the reservoir for whatever reason. Link. This is the shock I had GSXFJim put on.

No installment issues as it has the remote reservoir and they only thing you would need to do is clamp the reservoir to the left side under the side rear cowling. Ok you are about the same as Jim in weight. So the Hayabusa spring with preload cranked all the way will work for you but it will not be IMO 100% correct way to go, A heavier spring would be the ideal way but then that costs more money.

Tmod
                              Last edited by Tmod; 04-07-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X