X

Raising the rear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising the rear

The bike is coming apart this winter due to service and some new color. At the same time I thought I should take care of a few things that bother me a bit.
    The bike is a bit low I reckon, so I wouldn't mind getting the rear end up a couple of cm's. What would be the best way to work this out?
    I've read that 'busa and Bandit rear shocks is a bit longer, but how much and which one of them are longest?
    The bike in quesiton is a '93 GSX600F.

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
    The bike is coming apart this winter due to service and some new color. At the same time I thought I should take care of a few things that bother me a bit.
    The bike is a bit low I reckon, so I wouldn't mind getting the rear end up a couple of cm's. What would be the best way to work this out?
    I've read that 'busa and Bandit rear shocks is a bit longer, but how much and which one of them are longest?
    Bandit 1200 shock has been used by a few here, and it raises the rear about 2 inches they said.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
      The Bandit shock is sprung quite a bit lighter than a Busa shock so depending on what you weigh one may be better than the other.

So what do you weigh? Ever ride 2 Up? If so what do they weigh?

Tmod

Comment

I'm a tall, skinny one, so I weight in at about 140-150lbs (+gear). And no, I very seldom ride with a passanger.

Comment

Bandit may be the way to go. Start scouring ebay now for one. I got a 2004 (IIRC) for around $30.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I'm 6'3" 230lbs and the Bandit 1200 shock works great on my 91 Kat. I personally really like the ride height increse.

Comment

i enjoy the busa shock, its all about personal preference
              Chrome Project Part 1
              http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Can anyone that has the Bandit shock tell me what the amount of rear sag is and what you weigh?

Tmod

Comment

I would keep same shock and shorten dogbones! Alot cheaper and easier if you have access to a saw, a welder and plenty of patience!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stretched600 View Post
                    I would keep same shock and shorten dogbones! Alot cheaper and easier if you have access to a saw, a welder and plenty of patience!!!
                    I wouldn't be so comfortable on welded dogbones. You better have a LOT of confidence in your welding.

BTW- the zx14 shock will raise it a bunch, too.

Before (stock shock)

After (this is actually with a ZX7 shock in it, but it's the same height now)
                    Last edited by loudnlow7484; 11-09-2009, 08:54 PM.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I have ALOT of faith in my friend who does it daily!

Comment

IMO if you want a better ride from your bike skip the links as all they do is raise or lower the bike and change the leverage ratio for the shock. The Bandit shock has a 6.6 kg/mm spring and the Busa shock has a 13.4 kg/mm spring. Both shocks will raise the rear of that bike and the Bandit shock will take the least amount of work to fit in there. The Bandit shock is limited to the adjustability of the shock where the busa shock has spring preload as well as comp damping and rebound damping adjustments. IMO the Bandit shock is valved better for the kat's than the Busa shock is. If you don't weigh much I would suggest the Bandit shock. All the external adjustability in the world will not make up for a shock that is not valved correctly for it's application.

Tmod

Comment

Changing the links was never an alternative, if so I could have made a couple myself. Now I just have to scan the market for used shocks. Thanks for helping out.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                            I wouldn't be so comfortable on welded dogbones. You better have a LOT of confidence in your welding.

BTW- the zx14 shock will raise it a bunch, too.

Before (stock shock)

After (this is actually with a ZX7 shock in it, but it's the same height now)

how hard was it getting that '14' shock in there?
                            sigpic
                            -Cory-
                            1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
                              how hard was it getting that '14' shock in there?
                              Absolutely painless. A little tweaking of the battery box, but that's it.
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                              X