X

Question about a petcock?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a petcock?

I was so excited because my petcock came in today! There is nothing wrong with it. My question however is about what lines go where. It has been a while since Ive taken off the petcock and of course being the genius that I am didnt remember which lines came off what part. I have a 1990 katana and the petcock was off of a 95. I made sure it was compatible. So if you guys could help me out that would be fabulous!

Thanks!-
    Alex

Originally posted by Ajcowan View Post
    I was so excited because my petcock came in today! There is nothing wrong with it. My question however is about what lines go where. It has been a while since Ive taken off the petcock and of course being the genius that I am didnt remember which lines came off what part. I have a 1990 katana and the petcock was off of a 95. I made sure it was compatible. So if you guys could help me out that would be fabulous!

Thanks!-
    Alex
    3 ports like a T.

The 2 brass ports on either side are for the fuel lines to the carbs.
    The port on the back side is for the vacuum line from the 4th carb side.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I was so excited because my petcock came in today!

My petcock came in a long time ago. Even today I can still remember how exciting that day was
      -2000 "750"

Comment

Stupid question, I just picked up my pre 600 the other day and there is no indicator as to what position res,on,off are. Can anyone help me with that.

Sorry to thread jack just thought I would ask since the petcock thing was already in question
        sigpic
        2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
        2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          3 ports like a T.

The 2 brass ports on either side are for the fuel lines to the carbs.
          The port on the back side is for the vacuum line from the 4th carb side.

Krey
          Okay let me redo the question! Are all the required lines coming from the carbs or were there lines that were connected to the petcock?

Originally posted by ckholloway View Post
          Stupid question, I just picked up my pre 600 the other day and there is no indicator as to what position res,on,off are. Can anyone help me with that.

Sorry to thread jack just thought I would ask since the petcock thing was already in question
          I'm pretty sure this is it. Right is Prime (to fill the bowls) Down is On, Left is Reserve.. . . I ran across this from the CyberPoet the other day!
          Last edited by Ajcowan; 08-05-2009, 08:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Reserve pointing forward
            On pointing down
            Prime pointing toward the rear of the bike

Okay let me redo the question! Are all the required lines coming from the carbs or were there lines that were connected to the petcock?
            The lines run from the petcock to the carbs
            Last edited by JimG4652; 08-05-2009, 08:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
            90 GSXR 750/1216
            96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
            87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you
              sigpic
              2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
              2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

mine is 98. back - pri; down - on; forward - res
                KATitoy

Comment

Everything you wanted to know...

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The line with the green on it is between the 1st and second carb with two plugs on it. I assume they are for Prime/On which one goes to which?

The Blue tube is over by the 4th so Krey told me thats the vacuum tube

But whats the red tube for? its in between carbs 3 and 4. . . . not really sure what its for

Comment

I have a post and not a pre, but I believe the pre's have two gas lines that go into the carbs. The red one just feeds carbs 3 & 4. And if I am wrong I will be corrected in a few minutes..

My GUESS, is that the red will plug into the tee that is on the green. The other end of the tee goes into the petcock opening pointing towards the rear of the bike.
                      Last edited by Cheriff; 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                        I have a post and not a pre, but I believe the pre's have two gas lines that go into the carbs. The red one just feeds carbs 3 & 4. And if I am wrong I will be corrected in a few minutes..

My GUESS, is that the red will plug into the tee that is on the green. The other end of the tee goes into the petcock opening pointing towards the rear of the bike.
                        It sounds good the only thing is is that there is two outlets for fuel on a pre petcock. So would there be a fuel line that goes from both outlets then into a T which then plugs into the top of the green one and then the red plugs in on the other open slot on the green?
                        Last edited by Ajcowan; 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM.

Comment

The line with the green on it is between the 1st and second carb with two plugs on it. I assume they are for Prime/On which one goes to which?

The Blue tube is over by the 4th so Krey told me thats the vacuum tube

But whats the red tube for? its in between carbs 3 and 4. . . . not really sure what its for
                          Blue looks to be vacuum line, plug on the back of the petcock.

Red and Green should be the fuel lines. If your petcock has 3 ports total, then you should plug one on each side (brass ports).

That "T" on the green line looks like it was there for a petcock that only had one fuel port out. Some pre 600s were like that, and all post kats as well I think...

If your petcock only has 1 fuel port, plug red on green, then get another short line from green to petcock.

If it has 2 fuel ports, just remove that and plug the lines directly on.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

I guess I can't be much of help since it sounds like the pre petcock is different, but either way it looks like you are short a hose. We really need a pre guy to step in here, but to me it looks like someone tried to convert it to work off of a post petcock. If the petcock really has two 'gas out' lines then I don't see why the tee on the green on is needed
                            -2000 "750"

Comment

Cool! Ill give it a go!

EDIT: Well It all mates up, Think I'll go get a bit of extra fuel line, just to give it some slack. Thanks for all the help guys!
                              Last edited by Ajcowan; 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X