X

93 gsx-r 11 swing arm on a 88

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 gsx-r 11 swing arm on a 88

I finley got all the parts for the swing arm swap 1 93 gsxr 1100 bananna swing arm and linkage 2 rear shock 3. 93 1100 rear rim 5. axel 6. rear sets 7.rear caliper and retainer. Now I have heard that the frame rails must be moved up, and rear sets put on . but after measuring it , it should fit with out changing anything it will be tight 1/4 inch on both sides at the closes point. If you have any insight on this let me know ..
    Attached Files

Well you're only gonna know once you try and bolt it in.. I'm wondering about the dog bones..
    I'm thinking you are going to need some custom
    ones.. It "looks" like the linkage point is highter on the Gixxer are than the Kat..

Keep us posted. Looks like a sick mod!

Comment

swing arm fitment

The swing arm will fit. I contemplated this swap into my 89. The rear master cylinder interferes, as well as brake hoses, and related right foot peg pieces. There is less than 1/4 of an inche clearence even if you swtich to new rear sets and move the positioning of the rear master cylinder. I dummy fit the swing arm I have with a busa rearset and still was marginal clearence.

The swing arm mount will have to be drilled for the larger pivot mounting bolt to work, or as some have done here, custom made inserts and spacers to keep the stock mounting bolt.

After I encountered these problems, I decided on finding a different route for my swing arm swap. It can be done, but as others here, you will probably end up having to cut lower subframe and fabricate a new one. Would not be a drastic deal, cut the lower support, a trip to local welding shop to move it up roughly 2 1/2 inches is the measurements I came up with when considering my swap.

If you decide to go this route, and prefer a polished swing arm, let me know. The one I have is close to being finshed and wouldnt take much to complete it. Will cut a good deal on it for you, or anyone here that will use it.
      One project done, now on to the next few!!
      Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

Chris...are you putting that on an 1100 kat, or a 600-750? I could fit the bandit/rf900 arm onto my 600 but the lower rails wouldn't allow the arm to move through a full range of motion which is why I adh to my the lower rails

Comment

I plan on doing a front end mod smeller to yours . but thinking of way be an R6 .

Comment

waltari hello. by the way love your bike . it is a 88 600 with a 93 gsx-r 1100 engine. the 1127

Comment

Originally posted by chriskat1100
              waltari hello. by the way love your bike . it is a 88 600 with a 93 gsx-r 1100 engine. the 1127
              I hope it's a 93 gsx-F 1100 because the 93 gsx-R is a water cooled model, not an oil cooler. Any photos of what you have going on...like to see pics of your ride and all the bits your planning on installing. I've started on another project just recently....gsxr 7/12 should definitely top that last one.

Comment

your right after runing the vin on the engine it says it is a 92 nice catch that will make ordering parts a little more simpler. once I start opening every thing up I'll take some pic's and post them.

Comment

I did measure the subframe and available swingarms like the Gixxer-ones but in my opinion there's too little space left for swingarm-travel without cutting the lower-subframe, which would be a weakening act to the frame.
                  Yesterday-evening I was looking on Ebay and saw a nice alu-swing coming from a 1100 Katana which happens to have the same shape like the steel Katswings on our bikes.
                  So I mailed the guy and asked him for dimensions, well he mailed me back instantly and told me the same lenght, same width and same shape, the wheelaxle is 2 cm longer (swing allso) with distanceholders for the rim (no offset-troubles), leaves 2 issues which I still don't know, will the rearshockmount adapt the rearshock without modification? and will the swingarm mount need modification? (expect so, but you"ll never know)
                  I bought the complete swingarm so I will know in a couple off weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
                    I did measure the subframe and available swingarms like the Gixxer-ones but in my opinion there's too little space left for swingarm-travel without cutting the lower-subframe, which would be a weakening act to the frame.
                    Yesterday-evening I was looking on Ebay and saw a nice alu-swing coming from a 1100 Katana which happens to have the same shape like the steel Katswings on our bikes.
                    So I mailed the guy and asked him for dimensions, well he mailed me back instantly and told me the same lenght, same width and same shape, the wheelaxle is 2 cm longer (swing allso) with distanceholders for the rim (no offset-troubles), leaves 2 issues which I still don't know, will the rearshockmount adapt the rearshock without modification? and will the swingarm mount need modification? (expect so, but you"ll never know)
                    I bought the complete swingarm so I will know in a couple off weeks.
                    I agree with Kwebbel on this one...from experience, I ca tell you it will physically fit but when you considered the full range of motion the arm might go through under extreme acceleration/decelleration or severe bumps in the road the arm will make contac with the lower rail, there just isn't enough clearance with the bandit/gixxer/rf900 arms. Hopefully thye 93 banana arm is very different and I am wrong, but just make sure you have a fully range of motion with NO contact. Hate to see you guys find out the tolerances are too tight while you're going down the road.

Comment

I cant agree moor. it is going to be a one of though things that I wont know untell its on .then I can make the changes if needed. beleve it or not it may be possible to even use the stock linkage with nothing moor then a spacer in the dog bones. the pivot on the gsxr is the same just wider and the dog bones are strait. ill put some pic in in a few days

Comment

ok heres what I got..its going to be tight yes but I should be able to use all stock, but the swing arm will need a spacer for the dog bones I cant see why but it all equals out, look at the pic the linkage is the same but the width at the frame mounting, and useing the stock parts will keep ever thing true ? right ..? let me know what you all think..
                        Attached Files

Comment

ok it would not let me put one moor on that page so here it is
                          Attached Files

Comment

You can't use just_a_spacer it would block the linkage in it's movement, so it should be a spacer resting on the innercircle of the bearings.
                            Apart from that looking at the pics... I think you've got to use the gixxerlinkage anyway as far as I can see the length off it differs on some important points, will you allso use the taller gixer shock?

Comment

the spacer will be ok if I use washer. and the dog dones are the same langth 8 3/4" I am still wating for the shock to come in to see if it is longer, I would like to keep the ride hight the same. the only thing I have found is that the rear foot pegs have to go. the swing arm will hit them.

Comment

Working...
                              X