X

Parking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking

Heres my situation, being from Australia I'm used to somewhat friendly parking laws and generally getting away with alot more without the fear of being towed. Now that I am in Illinois it's a diferent matter and I'm interested in hearing some peoples experiences of what you can and cannot get away with in regards to parking.

To give some examples, in Australia you can park at the fron door on the curb at any shopping center. Most Colleges have parking for motorbikes but if they don't you can use the push bike parking areas. If there is a parking meter or rain you can just pop it onto the curb and pull the bike up next to any building you see fit.

So.. What can you get away with in the States?

You can get away with a lot as long as the cops are in a good mood or inattentive. I parked on some white stripes for years, then one day received a $35 dollar ticket for doing the same!

Parking for bikes has a double standard here. People complain about bike parking spots, but when there is none to be had, and you take a full space, they gripe about you parking in a car spot!

One tip for parking in a car spot: Just make sure you dont park too 'deep' in a spot. Keep it visible to cars driving around looking for a spot. People here will shoot into a parking spot not knowing your bike is there and hit it. -It's happened...
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I park up on the sidewalk up on curbs on base to avoid it getting hit. The MPs said go ahead. Off base, I park in regular spots and keep the Kat at the outermost area of the spot so people see it and don't try to turn in and end up parking over it! I have not tried my luck parking up on the curb on sidewalk off base though. I don't want any parking tickets.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Nice MPs you've got KS. At the Air force Base here if you park on the curb they ticket then tow you. We've got motorcycle slots but those fill up fast. Usually I park in a normal slot. Always ticks people off. They've actually moved a coworkers bike so they could park in his spot (this is why I have a disc lock. It goes off if the bike is even jiggled).

Insomniac: You're best bet is to park it like a car. It's not so much cops that I would worry about but cagers that get ticked that they can't do it as well.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
          Nice MPs you've got KS. .
          My experience with the MP's are...if they have to come and get you...they are bringing an a$$ kicking with 'em. Never had much run in's with them, but if ya do....you are in TROUBLE
          It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Working...
          X