X

Friction plate/steel plate order

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friction plate/steel plate order

So i bought my 95 katana 600 2 years ago and it ran great..... Until i stupidly tried to tow a ride on mower across the yard last year. The next day after the incident i noticed it wasn't accelerating past 5k rpm in any gear so i checked out this forum filled with people smart enough not to use their motorcycles as tow equipment. I tried adjusting the cable maxing it out and breaking the lock nut on the lever,so i got home ordered the clymers manual,cable,springs and plates off of amazon because as far as amazon is concerned a gsxr friction plate kit is the same as a gsxf right... WRONG so i reordered the plates from denniskirk.com and they were right . Anyhow after taking the plates out using a small magnet i noticed a friction plate was in the basket first. The clymers manual says it should be a steel well after lightly sanding the steel plates and getting the blue and black residue off and reinstalling the plates the assembly still gets locked up ive checked the springs and noticed one is different i think i used an old spring with 5 new ebc springs. I actually tried going to a shop near my house but they dont work on pre 2000 bikes so fixing it myself is the only option. Help

Thats a mouthfull!
    Try looking at the fiche:

I believe this it the proper slide.
    It shows that there is one friction plate different than the others that goes in after the first steel.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Originally posted by ZookRick View Post
      Thats a mouthfull!
      Try looking at the fiche:

I believe this it the proper slide.
      It shows that there is one friction plate different than the others that goes in after the first steel.
      I don't see a difference and looking over my old friction plate set there is no difference. Thanks for the help

Each plate has 45 sprockets and the same distance between each and thickness is the same has anyone ever taken apart their clutch basket?
      Last edited by calbernieye; 06-18-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Well, it has a different part#, so there MUST be a difference.
        1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

There is 1 different but, I thought there was a different plate. I'll have to check the manual.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            There is 1 different but, I thought there was a different plate. I'll have to check the manual.
            Ok cool whats the difference?

Comment

After looking and reading the manual. It doesn't state any difference between any plate or friction disk. The difference may just be a manufacturer modification. As the clutch pack I installed did have 1 thicker plate.
              I have an OEM CLUTCH PACK, I'll dig it out and check it. Bingo!! There is a different friction disk. Same thickness, diameter. Only difference is the grooves in the friction material. (Straight grooves all the way around vs X grooves at 90deg on all others.) must be an oil control thing.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-18-2017, 11:50 PM.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Ok thanks...that doesn't seem too important . I have new springs coming tuesday i need to figure out this lock up issue hopefully its the cable being too tight at the lower adjuster. Ive taken the plates out at least 5 times

Comment

What do you mean by a "lock up issue" ?
                  Does the clutch not engage or not disengage?
                  1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Although this hasn't happened since i sanded the steels down a little within parameters of course it would get stuck in 1st and not engage now it doesn't go back into neutral. The term "locked up clutch assembly " i got from the clymers service manual when the bike wouldn't even crank. Im confused on the order of the plates since they were in with a friction 1st (and it ran beautifully) but the manual says steel first.

Edit.. Just tried shifting while off and it goes from 1st to second and third then nothing
                    Last edited by calbernieye; 06-18-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Ok you guys were right. in plain freaking english the clymers manual makes a distinction between the first friction plate (02) and the 7 others. I know what im doing after work tomorrow

Comment

Here is the differences;

spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          Here is the differences;

Thank you sir! You are officially the only one on the web showing the diff much appreciated ill be checking the installed plates tomorrow hopefully that and a little cable adjustment is all i need, would be a perfect birthday gift

Comment

Working...
                          X